Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Just read through, good shit and minimal heckling... impressive! If you have a chance get into the new Arc Sabre LT, just upgraded from the old Sabre (pre LT/AR designation) and pretty much has all your requirements. Their “storm hood” is probably the best out there to hunker behind in wind (has a soft felt like material so it’s soft without bulk). I never wear the hood aside from hanging out in parking lots but fits my medium helmet just fine with great peripheral vision (hood cinches really let you dial the fit). Pocket layout is excellent and the jacket is nice and long. Spendy but worth every penny.. besides who pays list price for these jackets.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/sabre-lt-jacket

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    From a bag?
    We back on a discussion of Fartbags again? Remember this thread is about jackets.

you will probably want a dedicated vap pocket
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    you will probably want a dedicated vap pocket
    Si senor.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I like the beer pocket idea too.

It will be big enough for a 16 oz can?
    watch out for snakes

Or at least 3 across multiple pockets.

Maybe a fanny pack is really the best.

If you take a spill at least you do not take a full on beer bath from a burst can.

I do like my beeracuda but they are hard to disguise.
    watch out for snakes

Maybe a fanny pack is really the best.

If you take a spill at least you do not take a full on beer bath from a burst can.

I do like my beeracuda but they are hard to disguise.
    It’s been a game changer for me
    27° 18°

I like the beer pocket idea too.

It will be big enough for a 16 oz can?
    I can confirm that my FRS Antero can hold multiple 16oz cans quite well.

^ Easily 4 in the inside pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    ^ Easily 4 in the inside pockets.
    I have a puffy that I wear under it that has big drop in mesh pockets that can hold three 16 oz cans easily. Makes it hard to buckle my boots though.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I'm willing to come down a bit in price for you to score the pinnacle of resort EXTREME jacket design. Pretty sure there is room for various essentials in the 47 pockets.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...TREME-ski-wear

Beer pocket--modern equivalent of the bota bag?

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post

If you don't need to pay extra and/or pay into already enriched shareholders
    of companies that manufacture in Myanmar for the going sub $3.55 daily wage,
    or a YoungOne factory (many locations all over the globe),
    well then, I might suggest one of these companies below.

Extreme performance, locally made, ski jacket, two great options are Westcomb (Vancouver) and Freeride Systems (Colorado):

Hand-crafted in Vancouver, Canada.
    https://www.westcomb.com/

Made in Colorado, USA by Full Time Mountain Living People
    http://www.freeridesystems.com/
    These look like amazing jackets... What else is out there if we want to support the little guys?

Go Freeride and don't look back... and they have a maggot discount.

Are there any glow in the dark jackets?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    Go Freeride and don't look back... and they have a maggot discount.
    A co-worker had one of those and said the DWR coating was gone in 2 months... It instantly wets out now, and he has yet to be able to get enough nixwax stuff on it to make it wearable again...
    EDIT: He wears his jacket at work where is is often covered in Diesel fumes and oil... I don't think any jacket would survive that...

Anybody have good luck with Trew?

https://trewgear.com/collections/men...15603305709603
    Last edited by ExPowderSnob; 01-20-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Random point: I don't care about a sleeve pocket for my pass. Seems like all the RFID readers are waist high or lower, so I it ends up working best in a pants pocket.

if you wana look cool hang yer pass off a leash bra

I did wish I had a pass pocket in Niseko, I ended up buying one for not much $
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post

Happy customer. Really love my Powfunk. Might be the best coat I have ever had. Great brand that stands behind their products. Easy to work with them after 3 or 4 years of hard riding if you encounter any small repairs. Quality materials and build of everything I have owned. Love my bibs own 2 pair. Pair 1 is still in the mix and in better shape than some other companies that have come and gone since my first pair in 08 or 09. I ski 50 days at least each season so they have seen wear. Proud owner of said Cosmic coat waiting in the closet with Tags from a end of year sale. Scored the wife some pants from Evo. Evo is running a nice sale right now too.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

DWR on my bibs failed semi quickly. Not entirely out of line with some other brands, but certainly not better. They were also pretty warm / not breathable. Not sure if they've changed it on newer bibs, but their supposedly indestructible material at the bottom cuff was complete shit. I actually retired those bibs mostly because the bottom cuff was so hacked up from ski edges - it'd catch on my opposing brake, which is terrifying.

Never tried their jackets.

Just got a new 686 hydrastash jacket. wrist gaiters, nice phone pocket accessible inside or out, and a water reservoir in the powder skirt with tube that runs inside so no freeze, warm and insulated, nice pockets and pit vents. pretty sweet coat. tall guys - got the xxl just for sleeve length and they dont seem any longer than the xl.

Got to my nearest “city” yesterday and tried on a shitload of high end skiing shells from Patagonia, North Face, OR, Arc’teryx, Norrøna, Black Diamond, Salomon, Rab, Picture, and Mammut. I get deals and appreciate the warranty on Patagonia and OR, but for fit (long and lean but unrestrictive) and features (burly, 20/20 membrane, with sensible pocket layout and wrist gaiters)the two clear winners were the almost identical Salomon Icestar 3L and Mammut Haldigrat 3L jackets. Now just scrounging around for a killer deal.

A co-worker had one of those and said the DWR coating was gone in 2 months... It instantly wets out now, and he has yet to be able to get enough nixwax stuff on it to make it wearable again...

https://trewgear.com/collections/men...15603305709603
    reallly, that sounds a bit bunky if you want the trewth...ive personally got a couple neoshell antero jackets that are pushing 4 or 5 years old (neoshell gen 1) of ours that i use for sled accessed skiing and all the bs associated with being near sleds, oil, skis, skins, column saws, shovels, Rotella T4 and water still beads up on them....so i sure would like to hear how the dwr fell off one in 2 months, sorry i call bull shit, pm me a name, only way this would be possible is if someone bought it used from someone that washed the shit out of it (abused) or if it was from the early days....like 2010-2014 ish...not sayin youre a liar or anything..but what you just stated is generally false unless abused...
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    reallly, that sounds a bit bunky if you want the trewth...ive personally got a couple neoshell antero jackets that are pushing 4 or 5 years old (neoshell gen 1) of ours that i use for sled accessed skiing and all the bs associated with being near sleds, oil, skis, skins, column saws, shovels, Rotella T4 and water still beads up on them....so i sure would like to hear how the dwr fell off one in 2 months, sorry i call bull shit, pm me a name, only way this would be possible is if someone bought it used from someone that washed the shit out of it (abused) or if it was from the early days....like 2010-2014 ish...not sayin youre a liar or anything..but what you just stated is generally false unless abused...
    Just an anecdotal data point but worth making: Garments don't have to be abused to lose the dwr, they just have to get well used. Living in the pnw of canada, new jacket dwr's generally don't even last a few months before wetting out in crucial areas if worn daily for ski touring in warmer storm cycles, biking/hiking in pissing rain, etc... Sure you can do everything by the book/best practices: wash with techwash or dawn non perfumated pure dish soap, double, trippple, quadrupppple rinse, dry on hot, touch up with iron, reapply with aftermarket dwr's to get a few more days or weeks of water beading every time...but it never lasts. Pretty much the same problem with every new goretex jacket acquired in the rotation stream of every three years or so over the past 30ish years of buying goretex shells; some better than others, of course. With the new jackets, it's always so much initial hope....and so much commensurate disappointment. It's all the same junk. In the old days, i'd get a better short term bump using the rat cancer making Scotchguard spray but then of course they changed the forumla to make it non cancer causing and it lost its potency. Buddy who lives in Canada's rainiest city with an average of 100+ inches of precip per year, p"Rinse" Rupert, commutes to work via bike every day, hikes a lot after work and days off. We have a 30 year ongoing dialogue about the dwr issue. He has replaced various brands of goretex jackets every coupla years and has similar observations. Can't get better real world testing.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 01-17-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.