Page 1184 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 ... LastLast
Results 29,576 to 29,600 of 46183
    People who buy SUVs in two wheel drive. It's still a thing.

I’m at a training today for work (teacher) with about 100 others in a big hotel conference room. I check in and the lady points out the coffee area then says, “There is a bucket of ‘fidgets’ and ‘mindful coloring sheets’ with crayons at each table.”

Did I miss something? When did adults need coloring sheets and fidgets to get through the day? Are the cell phones and laptops not enough of a distraction?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I’m at a training today for work (teacher) with about 100 others in a big hotel conference room. I check in and the lady point outs the coffee area then says, “There is a bucket of ‘fidgets’ and ‘mindful coloring sheets’ with crayons at each table.”

Did I miss something? When did adults need coloring sheets and fidgets to get through the day? Are the cell phones and laptops not enough of a distraction?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "mindful coloring sheets" is an oxymoron.

I'm annoyed because it's snowing. Not predicted and not even showing up on radar as it's falling. I have my skinny bike and was going to build trail.

Having to listen to unsupervised ski club kids scream at the top of their lungs for an entire (slow) lift ride. Somebody get these little shits off my lawn!

Would you prefer they were teenagers with backpack speakers blasting shit music?
    I still call it The Jake.

People that bitch about kids being kids and doing kid things.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    People that bitch about kids being kids and doing kid things.
    I work out in a little fitness center and indoor track above the rec center's basketball/pickleball/everything else court. Around midday they bring in the preschoolers, put them on little plastic trikes and in little plastic cars, give them a few balls, and let them scream, throw things at each other, and crash into each other--pretty much a demolition derby. The teachers just stand back and watch. It's loud but very very entertaining. How often do adults get to feel such unbridled joy?

At a demolition derby?

In a lift line?

Why is it that smoke alarms always start chirping while you're trying to sleep?

Chirp

Chirp

Chirp

Chirp

Chirp

Turn the heat up. The battery is cold

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that anyone could befriend a Stellar jay. The ones around here chase off all the other birds we like--goldfinches, pine siskins, mountain chickadees mostly, and they make an ungodly noise. But to each his own I guess.

Dude, jays are the frisbee pow fun dogs of the Wild Kingdom!

They are corvids, so they are wicked smart, and learn their names in a few minutes.
    They stash as much as they eat, and can remember hundreds of stash spots [they plant forests in their more forgetful moments].
    They mate for life, and look out for each other. And like camp robbers [aka gray jays], one of the young from the previous year will stay with their parents and help raise next year's chicks.
    They catch peanuts better than dogs! No joke, sometimes they'd rather catch peanuts than pick them up out of a dish. And they like whole roasted unsalted peanuts from Costco better than anything else in the world! Jaybird gold!

They are very friendly and downright loving when they know you. Sassy and Big beak introduced me to their brood, one at a time. As in: Hop down off the deck rail on to my knee and made their little bobs. They're all grown up now with their forehead markings and their rad hair, and they're wonderful polite little ladies and gentlemen. A black-capped chickadee makes more shit in half hour than my jaybirds have left on my deck in a year.

Eastern jays are very close to Steller's jays. In fact, they cross a language barrier to interbreed often where ranges overlap...

Some vid of a sharpie doing it's thing with a magpie for scale...The feeder out in the open like that just creates a kill zone for these sparrow hawks. Accipiter hawks like the sharpie or Cooper's hawk make their living in the woods. Stealth and ambush. That feeder in this vid is making it good enough for that hawk to leave his normal habitat and risk death by buteo hawks, goshawks, falcons, and owls to hunt in the open...

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Dude, jays are the frisbee pow fun dogs of the Wild Kingdom!

They are corvids, so they are wicked smart, and learn their names in a few minutes.
    They stash as much as they eat, and can remember hundreds of stash spots [they plant forests in their more forgetful moments].
    They mate for life, and look out for each other. And like camp robbers [aka gray jays], one of the young from the previous year will stay with their parents and help raise next year's chicks.
    They catch peanuts better than dogs! No joke, sometimes they'd rather catch peanuts than pick them up out of a dish. And they like whole roasted unsalted peanuts from Costco better than anything else in the world! Jaybird gold!

They are very friendly and downright loving when they know you. Sassy and Big beak introduced me to their brood, one at a time. As in: Hop down off the deck rail on to my knee and made their little bobs. They're all grown up now with their forehead markings and their rad hair, and they're wonderful polite little ladies and gentlemen. A black-capped chickadee makes more shit in half hour than my jaybirds have left on my deck in a year.

Eastern jays are very close to Steller's jays. In fact, they cross a language barrier to interbreed often where ranges overlap...
    You've given me one more reason to hate Stellar jays--it's hard to like a bird that's smarter than me.

And BTW, would your hawk take care of my pigeon problem? If so, please send.
    Last edited by old goat; 01-15-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Further proof that skiers* are self entitled assholes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200115_095823.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	310792

Used kleenex left on a bench in the Alpine Meadows lobby. Who the fuck wants to pick up someone's used kleenex.

*skiers and snowboarders. But I'm still trying to cope with the preferred pronoun thing; I can't deal with the skier/snowboarder thing so when I say skier I mean both. If that offends you, good.

Maybe it fell out of someone's pocket when they were taking their gloves out?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I have to admire someone who sees the good in everyone.
    I wonder if it was the same person who left 4 or 5 candy wrappers on the floor at the same spot.

I have to admire someone who sees the good in everyone.
    that exchange belongs in the "Shit that amuses you" thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Further proof that skiers* are self entitled assholes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200115_095823.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	310792

*skiers and snowboarders. But I'm still trying to cope with the preferred pronoun thing; I can't deal with the skier/snowboarder thing so when I say skier I mean both. If that offends you, good.
    Love it.

I always says skiing when I’m boarding, I haven’t actually skied in 10 years.

On snow = skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    On snow = skiing.
    English speakers who do not understand their own language really annoy me.

You've given me one more reason to hate Stellar jays--it's hard to like a bird that's smarter than me.

And BTW, would your hawk take care of my pigeon problem? If so, please send.
    These birds surprise and capture most of their prey from cover or while flying quickly through dense vegetation. They are adept at navigating dense thickets, although this hunting method is often hazardous to the hawk. The great majority of this hawk's prey are small birds, especially various songbirds such as sparrows, wood-warblers, finches, wrens, nuthatches, tits, icterids and thrushes. Birds caught range in size from a 4.4 g (0.16 oz) Anna's hummingbird to a 577 g (1.272 lb) ruffed grouse and virtually any bird within this size range is potential prey. Typically, males will target smaller birds, such as sparrows and wood-warblers, and females will pursue larger prey, such as American robins and flickers, leading to a lack of conflict between the sexes for prey. These hawks often exploit backyard bird feeders in order to target congregations of ideal prey. They often pluck the feathers off their prey on a post or other perch. Rarely, sharp-shinned hawks will also eat rodents, lizards, frogs, snakes, and large insects, the latter typically being dragonflies captured on the wing during the hawk's migration. Bats have occasionally been recorded as a prey of this hawk.[3]

English speakers who do not understand their own language really annoy me.
    What the fuck are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about?

Pronounced shee-ing

It annoys me that those yellow and green lemon/lime squeezers fall apart if you put them in the dishwasher. Surely there has been a technological improvement that can allow this.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^ silicone.

Who organizes a gun rights rally in Virginia, on MLK day?
    Do they even have two brain cells to rub together?