Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Packing for a full day on the snow...

So today we were skiing with the pops, and had a little incident at he end of the day.

We get back to the car, and he realizes that his keys are nowhere to be found. After a frantic search, we find them on the floor of the ski-side bar. Apparently he decided to rifle through his pockets for his wallet- which coincidentally held his keys as well. His argument was that he doesn't have enough pockets to manage his stuff without incident.

Keys. Wallet. Phone. Snacks. Smoke stuff. Etc.

Every day we ski we have to deal with this necessary deadweight when skiing. Do you leave your stuff in the car, or do you bring it along in your ski gear/backpack? How do you avoid catastrophe?

Repetition.
    Repetition.
    Repetition.

Everything goes in the same place, every time. Important things don't share pockets for that exact reason. Keys, wallet, phone, and beacon all go in separate pockets with nothing else in them. Depending on the nature of the outing, I'll leave my wallet in the car.

This is also why I like gear with lots of pockets. I've tried some of the more minimalist pants, jackets, etc. and I find lack of places to separate things to be frustrating (although they tend to breathe a lot better).

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Every day we ski we have to deal with this necessary deadweight when skiing. Do you leave your stuff in the car, or do you bring it along in your ski gear/backpack? How do you avoid catastrophe?
    Ski alone.

The weed goes in the bowl. The beer goes in the cooler. The outerwear goes in the same bag either the night before or the morning of. The season pass stays on the rearview mirror when not in use. The wallet always goes in the cargo pocket. The phone always goes in the inner jacket breast pocket where it'll say somewhat warm and the car keys always go in the same pocket, clipped to the same leash and doesn't come off until the day is over.

And the emergency tire chains? Those live under the driver's seat year-round and never come out

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Everything goes in the same place, every time. Important things don't share pockets for that exact reason. Keys, wallet, phone, and beacon all go in separate pockets with nothing else in them. Depending on the nature of the outing, I'll leave my wallet in the car.

This is also why I like gear with lots of pockets. I've tried some of the more minimalist pants, jackets, etc. and I find lack of places to separate things to be frustrating (although they tend to breathe a lot better).
    My mentality as well. Wallet normally in car - just take cash or one card with, on the lifts. Used to hide keys on the car, but recently upgraded outerwear to more pockets and now they have their own pocket.

That and constant pocket-checks (make sure they’re zipped). Learned my lesson - was skiing Vail, first time in forever I was skiing with my entire wallet. Which flew out of an unzipped pocket in the middle of a tree run. Remarkably, it showed up in Vail lost and found. Unsurprisingly, they charged $50 to mail it back to me (2 hrs drive away). Fuckers (but still glad)!

Visa, Id, insurance card and $40 cash right pants pocket. Car and house key separated from rest of keys in left pants pocket. Cell phone in chest pocket, or backpack.

Only take the essentials. Ditch the wallet and full key ring. Same pockets every time.

Car key is stashed outside my car so never lost. ID, Debit card inside coat pocket, season pass is in handy pass holder pocket of jacket under powder skirt. cell phone in breast pocket. 2 cuties and 2 mini snickers in right pocket and keep the fentanyl and meth pipe in left.

I usually just zip up the pocket that contains my wallet and car keys. It has worked remarkably well so far.

Car keys in the pocket on the inside of the pack, even when riding resort. Just water(1.5L camelback) to keep the pack stable and keys on me at all times, if I don't need anything else. I have definitely lost a phone before on the hill, but have never lost my pack/car keys, I definitely feel like i would have lost my keys on the hill at some point if I had to put them in my pockets frequently. Everything else subject to change, if I'm touring I also try to remember to leave the wallet in the car and have safety gear in the pack and check it when I put the beacon on at the trailhead/parking lot.

I'm a fan of packs/pockets that have a key clip/ring to secure items. Added peace of mind.

I gotta keep it simple, basic-er.

My post wakenbake mantra:
    Skis, boots, poles.
    Hat, gloves, goggles.
    Bowl, weed, fire.

Pass is always in the same pocket.
    Spare key on the rig.
    No food, water or watch.
    Sometimes a phone.

https://youtu.be/e9N6_Tj9u2U

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

First two signs of early dementia are memory loss....and um...something else

Now we have to have threads about how to put shit in your pockets. JFC

It's a sad time when you realize the roles with your parents have reversed. Stark.
    "Do you have everything? Do you need to pee? Are you warm enough?"

No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Now we have to have threads about how to put shit in your pockets. JFC
    It's been a dry December up here

My phone escaped out of my breast pocket while skinning last winter. It was coming out frequently for pics and at some point I forgot to zip the pocket back and off it went. I was breaking trail with 2 buddies behind me, they didn't see it, and it took me about 10 minutes to notice. I miraculously found it after skiing back down 6 or so switchbacks and noticing a black spot on the skinner in a spot with limited shrubbery. Buddies has skinned right over it and pushed it into the snow, the corner of the case was barely sticking out.
    I've been super careful with zippered pockets since. Well, expect for yesterday when I skied a 1700' shot with the front pocket of my pack opened. Thankfully the probe, shovel, and skins stayed put. Felt real smart when I dropped the pack and it was already opened...

take this shit to the First World Problem thread

A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.... a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Take your dad to the nearest bus station and leave him there WITHOUT ID. Problem solved !

Dad wasn't driving was he????
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My keys stay on the tire in the wheel well, or inside the empty ski box. No need to take them on the hill with you.
    If my partner or I wanted to end the day earlier, the other has easy access to the car.

My ski pants and ski jacket and mid layer don’t have enough pockets... said no one ever.

Friend of mine had a yard sale on a very steep icy run he had no business being on. Hat, goggles, poles, skis, but also wallet, keys and phone.
    My kid lost a phone digging me out of a slide in AK--it's not just us old folks that lose stuff. (We came back an hour later, just before last heli pickup, and it was just barely sticking out of the snow.)
    My favorite thing to lose is my credit card at restaurants--forget to take it out of the folder. Now that more and more restaurants' waiters carry CC swipers it's less of a problem.