Page 27 of 84 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Anybody planning to be up at MHM this afternoon or tomorrow? Finally back in town - probably heading up there to spin some groomer laps and soak in the sun with a beer in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Thanks for the advice all. Driving to and from mtn isn't a big deal,we do that a bunch since we home base somewhere and hit a bunch of nearby mtns usually. Connecting through SLC and DEN is kind of funny , but I'll be at the Bird w the family in Feb and likely meeting some friends in CO this month, so nothing lost by skipping them this time.

Only thing giving me pause is the Northstar comparison. Been to Tahoe a few times and have avoided that place due to lack of interest in too many groomers and not enough terrain as compared to the other Tahoe mtns. Definitely don't need puckering steeps this trip but some fun interesting terrain would be key

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Duff, I am going to jump in and share my opinion on Bach as I am a fellow "east/midwest coaster"... I was born and lived in Seattle for several years and than due to my pops job we ended up moving to the East coast and with some luck will be back in the PNW in a couple of years... I use all of my vacation on ski trips and usually end up out west 3 to 4 times a year to different destinations... I am leaving in 3 weeks for Whitefish and than heading to TRide and will end my season in Bachelor as I have done for the past 10 yrs in early April... If I was only able to do one trip a year it would be Mt Bach...

I live in OH and for me I fly United and we fly from Columbus to Denver and than from Denver to Redmond... Each leg is a little over 2 hrs and than from Redmond it is a 25ish minute drive... No, it is not as easy as flying in to SLC, but I have had no issues with travel to Bend and feel the travel is well worth the experience...

Regarding the skiing experience... No, it is not gnar, but like others have said Northwest is an absolute blast and provides great tree skiing and has really good pitch to it... Now, if the Summit is open game on and you will find plenty to ski with all types of terrain and pitch... I will admit I know when Cloudchaser was opened it came with a great deal of fanfare, but that area as a whole is fairly mellow... It does however have a lot of fun features... The rest of the hill from RedChair to Outback has a lot of fun terrain with some fun tree lines...

To me one of the best features the that has not been raised is Bach snowfall... I have traveled to the LCC several times and have been skunked plenty of times when it came to new snow... I cannot say the same with Bach... Like I said this will be my 10th year straight heading to Bach and there has not been one trip where I did not get snow and usually comes with pretty heavy precipitation... Last year we went from 4/10 to 4/18 and skied seven days straight and out of the seven days only one did not get snow... However, the sun came out and I had the absolute best POW day when they opened the Summit... I may be lucky, but for me Bach has always delivered when it comes to snow...

Final comment... Other than TRide there is not a cooler town than Bend that I have visited... There is so much great food, beverages as well as post skiing things to do... The vibe is fantastic along with great and friendly locals... My wife loves the town and has found plenty to do from spa days to yoga classes... We rent a home through VRBO so are within walking distance to most bars and eateries and can honestly say we enjoy our time in Bend as much as we do when we are on the mountain...

As Jonesy said you will not be disappointed and no doubt I feel the travel is well worth it...

More from Whitefish please AC, looks great, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    (everything you said...)
    Dammit guys... STFU!

Bend sucks. Bachy sucks.

Murder rates are very high for people with out of town license plates or debit cards from East Coast banks.

Don't buy lift tickets or real estate there please.

We don't really need to say T-Ride sucks because it's hard enough to get to and expensive enough to keep crowds to a minimum.

Bachelor has endless, epic tree skiing. Been skiing there for decades and I still find myself in places I have never skied before. The area is huge! If you like skiing trees you will not be disappointed by Bachelor

The snow pack is also a great strength for Bach. Right now, they have 5 feet AT THE BASE. That extra 1000 feet of elevation, between Bach and the other local ski areas, makes for reliable/ high quality snow. Even in big drought years I have skied most weeks at Bach.

Another plus is that the management has changed in the last couple of years and the new manager seems to be able to get lifts up and running on time. Lift lines are much shorter since this change. Bach has a lot of lifts, as long as they are running it can handle a big crowd. I have been there when the parking lot was closed because it was absolutely filled to the brim. On that day the lift lines were surprisingly short. Not to say that wind days don't shut the area down, but the capacity is there if the weather and the management cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Final comment... Other than TRide there is not a cooler town than Bend that I have visited... There is so much great food, beverages as well as post skiing things to do... The vibe is fantastic along with great and friendly locals... My wife loves the town and has found plenty to do from spa days to yoga classes... We rent a home through VRBO so are within walking distance to most bars and eateries and can honestly say we enjoy our time in Bend as much as we do when we are on the mountain...
    If you're an outdoorsy sort it's pretty much a given that you will think about the possibility of moving to Bend after taking a trip there.

But you won't...because of that murder rate and all the rape gangs [happy mattig? ]

Anyone looking for real estate I've 20 acres on a Volcanic rockpile (some big as a truck). Old shack with a couple of broken down barns. Smith rock view from the front yard and Bachelor/Cascades in the back. Don't let the Cyotes bother ya. Just keep your house pets inside. Lol
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    If you're an outdoorsy sort it's pretty much a given that you will think about the possibility of moving to Bend after taking a trip there.

But you won't...because of that murder rate and all the rape gangs [happy mattig? ]
    Funny you should say that as me and the wifey pooh are going to take a day with a realtor and look at some properties... Bend/Sunriver is where we are looking to retire... Still many years befor doing so, but I am floored by how much land and homes have gone up since we first visited... Absolutley love it there...

And Mattig you are spot on regarding TRide... Love the mountain, people and town, but you have to be Oprah and Tom Cruise to afford to live there... I have been there several times and even on a POW day I dont think I have ever waited in a lift line for more than a couple of min... And talk about hard to get to... Fly from Columbus to Chicago than catch a flight to SLC and pickup a puddle jumper and fly to Montrose, CO... We than take an 1 1/2 hr shuttle (barring bad weather) drive from Montrose in order to get to TRide... Once there get bent over on lift tickets and food... But oooohhhhh so much fun...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Undertow; 01-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    Bachelor has endless, epic tree skiing. Been skiing there for decades and I still find myself in places I have never skied before. The area is huge! If you like skiing trees you will not be disappointed by Bachelor

The snow pack is also a great strength for Bach. Right now, they have 5 feet AT THE BASE. That extra 1000 feet of elevation, between Bach and the other local ski areas, makes for reliable/ high quality snow. Even in big drought years I have skied most weeks at Bach.

Another plus is that the management has changed in the last couple of years and the new manager seems to be able to get lifts up and running on time. Lift lines are much shorter since this change. Bach has a lot of lifts, as long as they are running it can handle a big crowd. I have been there when the parking lot was closed because it was absolutely filled to the brim. On that day the lift lines were surprisingly short. Not to say that wind days don't shut the area down, but the capacity is there if the weather and the management cooperate.
    "as long as they are running" being the key aspect here

18-19 Orygun, The Thread

Bend sucks. Too dusty.

Edit: Too many bugs, too. And sunburns.

Gah. Sorry. I'm in a small room, surrounded by a bunch of Cisco nerds arguing angrily about VPN routing. My brain is melting.

Bend's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Bend sucks. Too dusty.

Edit: Too many bugs, too. And sunburns.

Gah. Sorry. I'm in a small room, surrounded by a bunch of Cisco nerds arguing angrily about VPN routing. My brain is melting.

Bend's okay.
    Not that many bugs in Bend, especially in the winter. Just lots of retired people who don't know how to navigate a traffic circle! Which there a many to navigate. But if you're coming from a big city, the traffic is delightful!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Not that many bugs in Bend, especially in the winter. Just lots of retired people who don't know how to navigate a traffic circle! Which there a many to navigate. But if you're coming from a big city, the traffic is delightful!
    Yeah, that's Portland with the bugs.

Still some soft turns to be found out there.

Bend is alright; yea it's flat, but there's a lot of fun things to do and a rad culture here...even more so if you ride bikes.

Name:  IMG_5046.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  181.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RYAN13 View Post
    Still some soft turns to be found out there.

Bend is alright; yea it's flat, but there's a lot of fun things to do and a rad culture here...even more so if you ride bikes.

Name:  IMG_5046.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  181.8 KB
    And motorcycles. The OHV areas and back roads are awesome and everything's close.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    And motorcycles. The OHV areas and back roads are awesome and everything's close.
    Ooh yes, also that. Looking forward to riding many of those once things thaw and before they get too dusty.

18-19 Orygun, The Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	691419B4-FDFC-463C-A040-03212237128B.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	263912

Name:	A02E657B-17F5-4F17-8C2D-BEFB1E7290E9.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	525.9 KB 
ID:	263913

Name:	E82C23DC-5340-4693-8F68-8C231A4BFE5E.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	263914

Name:	IMG_2642.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	488.5 KB 
ID:	263919
    (The half order of nachos at the Hellroaring Saloon)

How we measure snowpack in Central Or.

Name:	49781347_2429788283910925_2120244986883604480.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	263945
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    How we measure snowpack in Central Or.

Name:	49781347_2429788283910925_2120244986883604480.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	263945
    Actually, if you're properly measuring the snow pack, the bottles, or cans, it doesn't really matter which you use for measuring, are empty before taking the snow pack measurement.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Thanks for clearing that up Toad. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    bend is pretty mediocre on the pio scale
    What does that scale measure? How likely you are to flip your car?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Dammit guys... STFU!

Bend sucks. Bachy sucks.

Murder rates are very high for people with out of town license plates or debit cards from East Coast banks.

Don't buy lift tickets or real estate there please.

We don't really need to say T-Ride sucks because it's hard enough to get to and expensive enough to keep crowds to a minimum.
    Yeah, I was concerned about this. I ran into Meek Mills crew on a corner in North Philly and they told me to watch out for some of their homies in Bend, said I might get done dealt wit out there if not careful

And funny enough T-Ride is actually easier to get to for us from here. PHL-DEN then sketchy puddle jumper to Montrose, then drive. Nets out similar times.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Name:	Image1547278283.136470.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	264007
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Name:  B0D090CE-82B2-4DDE-B156-5B4447B80BA6.jpeg
Views: 320
Size:  291.4 KB

Name:	7532AF2A-BDAC-4C64-A0F0-6B833A7518B2.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	264078

ugh. tomorrow is off. after 24 hour travel days and little sleep prior, the household is crashing hard and everybody fighting off something. sucks. hard to have patience when it's already mid january and i gotta train for bbi!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Name:  B0D090CE-82B2-4DDE-B156-5B4447B80BA6.jpeg
Views: 320
Size:  291.4 KB

Name:	7532AF2A-BDAC-4C64-A0F0-6B833A7518B2.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	264078
    looks awesome, ac. glad you guys are having a great anniversary.