Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think the tricky thing about cougars is that they tend to stalk and jump on you from behind because they want to eat you.
    Well, that's typical cougar hunting behavior, but the available info indicates that most cougar-on-adult human attacks don't happen like that.

Most bears don't want to eat a human.
    Most cougars don't want to eat a human, a conclusion is compelled by the extreme rarity of cougar-on-human attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    . . . it wants to stay uninjured more.
    Right. A disabling injury to a cougar is a death sentence. If a wild cat cannot hunt, it cannot live.

Somewhere in the vast interwebs, I digested an article or vid about dental issues in aging African lions leading to more human attacks. We are slow and easy on the teeth.

I think the tricky thing about cougars is that they tend to stalk and jump on you from behind because they want to eat you. Whereas violent bear encounters tend to be more territory/off-spring related and happen from the bear "standing it's ground" and you walking in to the wrong situation. Most bears don't want to eat a human.

Not arguing against bear spray or a firearm (or both.) But I'd say solo hiking or running especially dawn or dusk might not be wise in cougar country. And if you do choose to carry spray/firearm your partner should carry one/both also. And if either of you choose to carry either, you need to spend time training with it.
    Cougars don't usually stalk humans, they're curious and will follow you or your trail. I've seen many cougar tracks on the trail that followed me on out and back hikes/bike rides. The one altercation I had with a cougar was because it got too close and my dog engaged it. I'm not worried about cougars or bears where we live. I've done hundreds of dawn and dusk solo bike rides and hikes here and never had a problem. These attacks are exceedingly rare, we only take notice because it's in the news and there are more people in the woods. Your more likely to die falling down your stairs at home than getting attacked by a cougar, even if you spend a lot of time in the woods.

Shirley, putting a tourniquet around the cat's testes would solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Somewhere in the vast interwebs, I digested an article or vid about dental issues in aging African lions leading to more human attacks. We are slow and easy on the teeth.
    Fat ass baby boomers are more tender to chew and easier to catch.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

WTF is going on over there in the Cascades with your big cats?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

WTF is going on over there in the Cascades with your big cats?
    Human encroachment on traditional cougar territory.

I'ma start carrying a squirt gun out in these hills.

When I pull my squirt gun on my cats those fuckers have the fear of god in them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Never made a pussy so wet so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Cougars don't usually stalk humans, they're curious and will follow you or your trail. I've seen many cougar tracks on the trail that followed me on out and back hikes/bike rides. The one altercation I had with a cougar was because it got too close and my dog engaged it. I'm not worried about cougars or bears where we live. I've done hundreds of dawn and dusk solo bike rides and hikes here and never had a problem. These attacks are exceedingly rare, we only take notice because it's in the news and there are more people in the woods. Your more likely to die falling down your stairs at home than getting attacked by a cougar, even if you spend a lot of time in the woods.
    This.

Human encroachment on traditional cougar territory.
    Some, but their territory is also expanding.

I reported one in Chicago, a month before it wandered downtown. They all thought I was nuts.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ois-north-side

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Fat ass baby boomers are more tender to chew and easier to catch.
    more marbling

Name:  IMG_3378.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  239.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Some, but their territory is also expanding.

I reported one in Chicago, a month before it wandered downtown. They all thought I was nuts.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ois-north-side
    "The 45-year-old went out in his back yard and saw a cougar attempting to jump from his neighbor's fence to his. He knew it was a cougar because he had seen it on the Discovery Channel, he said."

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Name:  IMG_3378.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  239.8 KB

"Thanks I'll eat it here."

^^^ Good to see that they have radios in case they get separated.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Oh shit. I'm laughing my ass off at those last 2 comments^

I laugh at the MAMILs with headlamps that jog past my house in the dark on their way into cougar country. Stupid is as stupid does.

Name:  cougarcrop.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  28.2 KB
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Cougars don't usually stalk humans
    so rest assured that if you are getting stalked by one, it is unusual

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I'ma start carrying a squirt gun out in these hills.

When I pull my squirt gun on my cats those fuckers have the fear of god in them.
    we joked about this too. or a huge ball of yarn

I think I have rec'd this book prior, but I really liked "Beast in the Garden" about the mtn lion population and human interaction around Boulder, CO
    Lots of cool info about mtn lions and the story is pretty riveting to boot
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Name:  cougarcrop.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  28.2 KB
    Pets can read there?

There's lots of cougars around here, but they still seem to have a healthy fear of people.

If you want to see the most hilarious look of disappoinment on a cat's face, open a new can of tennis balls.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

There's lots of cougars around here, but they still seem to have a healthy fear of people.
    Maybe that's just how they act around you. They usually strike up a conversation and offer to buy me a glass of chardonnay. I'm always quite flattered.

Whereas violent bear encounters tend to be more territory/off-spring related and happen from the bear "standing it's ground" and you walking in to the wrong situation. Most bears don't want to eat a human.
    Yes but no, when it comes to fatal attacks. You should never assume that the bear approaching you falls into the category of "most bears". There's plenty of examples of predatory bears. Seems like many of the fatal bear attacks in the Rockies are predatory, not territorial. In the 20 years I've lived in the Rockies, I can remember at least four nearby cases of grizz killing humans for prey, two of them very recent. They are all listed in the database below. Just a year ago, a guy camping in Teton Canyon awoke to find a black bear gnawing on his skull. It happens. Fortunately, he lived to tell the tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-12-2018 at 07:20 PM.

not sure if fear is the right word. in all but extremely rare circumstances they avoid humans. I've had them go through the backyard at night. If your home is near woodlands in the west at night you might be more at risk from a cougar than hiking or biking solo, because the kitty knows where you live. Much more a risk to small dogs or cats though. See this story: https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...145140424.html

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Pets can read there?
    I like how your mind works. Great catch. 100 people have seen that and not seen that.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.