Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    What if you got someone to just drive you up kadenwood or something then ski a little lap down, or from bench lands

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Thanks, but I'll be solo...

I'll be staying in pemberton thursday night, and driving back towards whistler in the early am, if that frees up any other suggestions?

Also, I'd be happy to return the favour to anyone wanting to visit the Island. I live in Ucluelet so could advise about the West Coast perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    You can buy a backcountry access lift ticket for $62 plus tax that gets you 5-6 chairlift rides. You will need to go into guest services and show your avalanche safety gear and circle which route you plan on taking on a piece of paper. Sometimes they ask to see a ski partner but never asked me the 3-4 times I bought one last season.

You could just go out to Symphony in Whistler and skin up to Flute (in bounds) if you want to test the boots. Usually you can get out to bottom of that skin by 9:30-10am unless it snows a ton Thurs night and they have AC work to do.

Not sure there’s any other skiing in Whistler area you could quickly access from the valley on foot given your time frame.
    That's a good tip. I've always heard about the bc lift pass but have never gotten one. Does it get you a fixed number of chairlift rides, or access to only certain lifts? Can you ride the same lift more than once?

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    I'll be staying in pemberton thursday night, and driving back towards whistler in the early am, if that frees up any other suggestions?

Also, I'd be happy to return the favour to anyone wanting to visit the Island. I live in Ucluelet so could advise about the West Coast perhaps.
    Since you live in the second most awesomely awesome place in BC I shall help you with the following options north of the village:

- Wedgmount Lake trailhead, about 5 km north of Emerald subdivision. From Pemby turn left off highway at Wedgemount Lake trailhead/Garibaldi Park, left again and up the hill a couple km's to parking. From there the trail goes up gently until it doesn't.

- Cardiac Hill above Emerald. First subdivision as you approach Whistler from Pemby. Turn right, turn right again, crest of hill park on Deerhorn Pl. Steep uphill most likely not skinnable, but 5 mins hike there is an old road going left and Section 102 to right. Both OK. Watch out for dog shit.

- XC trails. Probably best option for parking is at Scandinave Spa - past Meadow Park (rec center) and lights at Nick North subdivision turn left off highway at lights (Mons). Cross single lane (traffic controlled by light) bridge and up to the left. Park in big lot then just skin up through the woods to or across Lower Panorama ski trail. Keep in mind the trails open at 8am and they're pay for use, so keep a low profile.

These are all free options if you're just looking to walk. No skiing other than gliding back to car etc.

Found some snow of acceptable quality in Central Duffey S of highway. 20cms HST on the MFc at lower elevations. 30-35cms HST on the MFc on NW and W aspects at higher elevations on leeward slopes. Scattered clouds. Winds light at TL. -5 at ridgeline at approx 2100m

140cms HS on windward; 185cms HS leeward - behold the power of wind transport.

Surface sluff moving but no other obs of note

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180109_124354.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	220987

Name:  20180109_132424.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  20180109_140846.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  257.7 KB

Name:	20180109_142601.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	220990

Quote Originally Posted by lafleche View Post
    Since you live in the second most awesomely awesome place in BC I shall help you with the following options north of the village:

- Wedgmount Lake trailhead, about 5 km north of Emerald subdivision. From Pemby turn left off highway at Wedgemount Lake trailhead/Garibaldi Park, left again and up the hill a couple km's to parking. From there the trail goes up gently until it doesn't.

- Cardiac Hill above Emerald. First subdivision as you approach Whistler from Pemby. Turn right, turn right again, crest of hill park on Deerhorn Pl. Steep uphill most likely not skinnable, but 5 mins hike there is an old road going left and Section 102 to right. Both OK. Watch out for dog shit.

- XC trails. Probably best option for parking is at Scandinave Spa - past Meadow Park (rec center) and lights at Nick North subdivision turn left off highway at lights (Mons). Cross single lane (traffic controlled by light) bridge and up to the left. Park in big lot then just skin up through the woods to or across Lower Panorama ski trail. Keep in mind the trails open at 8am and they're pay for use, so keep a low profile.

These are all free options if you're just looking to walk. No skiing other than gliding back to car etc.
    Great tips. Many thanks.

When you say to go out to symphony, what exactly does that mean? It looks like symphony is a lift on the upper mountain? How would I get there with out a lift ticket?
    Yep, Symphony is a lift on Whistler. There is a cat road going up to Flute which is an in-bounds hike to area. It's a short 15-20 min skin that gets you a lap down some alpine terrain to treeline and you can then ski back to the lift. See http://skiron.intermaps.com/?id=2944&zoom=2&lang=en - you'll see Flute from the lift. If you follow the skier's right cat track you'll see the route to the boundary where you skin up. My thought is that assuming they aren't doing major avalanche control, you can get to the top of Flute by 10-10:30am at a leisurely pace, ski back down to Symphony and take it back up then ski back to the village in another 30 min total or so. Would get you a short skin track, a decent run down Flute plus a bunch of time in the boots on groomers to suss out issues.

The other options suggested are all good but won't have any real skiing, just gliding down the road/trail. It takes a while to get out of valley bottom to skiing in the Whistler/Pemberton/Duffey area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    That's a good tip. I've always heard about the bc lift pass but have never gotten one. Does it get you a fixed number of chairlift rides, or access to only certain lifts? Can you ride the same lift more than once?
    I suspect it's just 6 lift rides. You have to circle your planned route on the piece of paper but I had a customer service person tell me they don't input that info to their system and there's just one SKU for the backcountry pass. Who knows though, they could certainly program the system to require a certain order of lifts.

I suspect it's just 6 lift rides. You have to circle your planned route on the piece of paper but I had a customer service person tell me they don't input that info to their system and there's just one SKU for the backcountry pass. Who knows though, they could certainly program the system to require a certain order of lifts.
    Thanks again for the info. Good to know. As stated, it's a long way to walk from the valley to the alpine!

FWIW I just spoke with someone on guest services 800 number, and she said minimum 2 people, appropriate gear, and 1 ride up the gondola... Mind you she was Aussie, so take that as you will

Yep, Symphony is a lift on Whistler. There is a cat road going up to Flute which is an in-bounds hike to area. It's a short 15-20 min skin that gets you a lap down some alpine terrain to treeline and you can then ski back to the lift. See http://skiron.intermaps.com/?id=2944&zoom=2&lang=en - you'll see Flute from the lift. If you follow the skier's right cat track you'll see the route to the boundary where you skin up. My thought is that assuming they aren't doing major avalanche control, you can get to the top of Flute by 10-10:30am at a leisurely pace, ski back down to Symphony and take it back up then ski back to the village in another 30 min total or so. Would get you a short skin track, a decent run down Flute plus a bunch of time in the boots on groomers to suss out issues.

The other options suggested are all good but won't have any real skiing, just gliding down the road/trail. It takes a while to get out of valley bottom to skiing in the Whistler/Pemberton/Duffey area.
    Thanks for the details.

How are road conditions between Whistler and Pemberton in the winter, generally? I've only done that drive in the summer. I'm thinking about staying in Pemberton since lodging in Whistler is so fucking expensive. I did notice there's a bus that does that route a couple times per day.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    How are road conditions between Whistler and Pemberton in the winter, generally? I've only done that drive in the summer. I'm thinking about staying in Pemberton since lodging in Whistler is so fucking expensive. I did notice there's a bus that does that route a couple times per day.
    well maintained, highly used, can see black ice and heavy snow at times. Transit bus is usually very full from what I'm reading this year as housing crisis has forced many people to seek out accom up there.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    well maintained, highly used, can see black ice and heavy snow at times. Transit bus is usually very full from what I'm reading this year as housing crisis has forced many people to seek out accom up there.
    Thank you, sir!

Thank you, sir!
    And you can experience gourmet bliss eating at Mile One!!

The Pony is good too, excellent beer selection.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    And you can experience gourmet bliss eating at Mile One!!
    Damn straight. Condos in the same building!

Damn straight. Condos in the same building!
    Poach the Wifi!

Pony Express service is ...... inconsistent.

Mile One food portions are American size

Mt Currie Coffee Co breakkie is very good

Blackbird Bakery is also very good

And you save a whackload staying in Pemberton - good call

FWIW I just spoke with someone on guest services 800 number, and she said minimum 2 people, appropriate gear, and 1 ride up the gondola... Mind you she was Aussie, so take that as you will
    That's obvious misinformation or at least incomplete. BC ticket gets you out to symphony or top of showcase no problem. Probably with room for an extra lift in case of wrong turn. I've had friends use them for both exit points. Minimum # of lifts to the glacier gate on Blackcomb is 4. On whistler minimum would be 2 but most will ride symphony if it's running so call it 3. It's 5 if you fitz/garbo. I've never tested it but I think 6 rides is a safe assumption, and no there's no way they program your one day bc ticket for a specific route.

NICKEL _ I've gotta take you to Crabbe Mountain. 900m shots of double headed black mamba pow!!

Name:	20180110_133327.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	744.9 KB 
ID:	221103

Did you ski over the backside? I've never come out that side. Frontside looked acceptable.
    Getting back into the game tomorrow

I always sit at the bar at The Pony. And I am usually there before the supper rush, so service has always been fine.

NICKEL _ I've gotta take you to Crabbe Mountain. 900m shots of double headed black mamba pow!!

poles ready...check
    skis pointed...check
    climbing skins on...check

Quote Originally Posted by lafleche View Post
    poles ready...check
    skis pointed...check
    climbing skins on...check
    Dammit!!

Ok this one is better

Poach the Wifi!

Pony Express service is ...... inconsistent.

Mile One food portions are American size

Mt Currie Coffee Co breakkie is very good

Blackbird Bakery is also very good

And you save a whackload staying in Pemberton - good call
    Thanks for the tips, Lee. I figure it's worth a try. It's not like I'm hitting the clubs in Whistler, so I think Pemberton will work out fine.