Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I always did corporate moves but I had to pay for and do my last move so It was going to cost at least a K to move a bunch of shit 400kms so I loaded everyhing i could into 2 astrovan loads and donated/thru away everything else the thot being i could replace whatever on the other end with the 1K I saved and I am still ahead $$$ wise

keep receipts for everything if you can write off expenses
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Fuel jugs. Make sure you get some for emergencies. Always good to have anyway. Ebay has 4 VP square 5 gal jugs and hoses for about $125.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I don't think you mentioned whether the cost of the move would be on you or not. If you're moving for work I can't imagine there's no company payout.

When I moved cross country for work last year there were two moving options. A LS that was taxed, you take it now you own the move and all expenses. Other option was to do it through a professional company that handled EVERYTHING - packing lists, bubble wrapping shit, even handled the shipping of a vehicle so all I had to do was hop on a plane (which was also paid for). IMO that option was the best for moving cross country.

Supposed to be moving again in 1-2 months but this time it's only a 13-15hr drive north. This time around I'm planning to do the LS payout. Even though it's taxed I should still be able to pocket a lot at the end of the day. A 15' haul truck and trailer for my vehicle was like $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I don't think you mentioned whether the cost of the move would be on you or not. If you're moving for work I can't imagine there's no company payout.

When I moved cross country for work last year there were two moving options. A LS that was taxed, you take it now you own the move and all expenses. Other option was to do it through a professional company that handled EVERYTHING - packing lists, bubble wrapping shit, even handled the shipping of a vehicle so all I had to do was hop on a plane (which was also paid for). IMO that option was the best for moving cross country.

Supposed to be moving again in 1-2 months but this time it's only a 13-15hr drive north. This time around I'm planning to do the LS payout. Even though it's taxed I should still be able to pocket a lot at the end of the day. A 15' haul truck and trailer for my vehicle was like $1000.
    Not OP, just piggybacking, but I'm getting 3k for my moving expenses, which would cover a rental van and gas, but I doubt much more. If it was just me, I'd rent and drive the truck, but it's always more complicated with family involved.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I always did corporate moves but I had to pay for and do my last move so It was going to cost at least a K to move a bunch of shit 400kms so I loaded everyhing i could into 2 astrovan loads and donated/thru away everything else the thot being i could replace whatever on the other end with the 1K I saved and I am still ahead $$$ wise

keep receipts for everything if you can write off expenses
    To your earlier point: We used to get tax deduction for moving, but after the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 - no more

I appreciate everyone’s suggestion of towing a uhaul, but a) I’m a lazy POS and a solo lazy POS so loading and unloading becomes a chore, and either win this method or a professional mover I’ll have to allow some people in my house to load the big stuff....

And b) my 1-up with three bikes is currently and planned for the tow hitch- does 1 up make a hitch repeater add on?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^ You're moving to Vegas, right? Definitely hire some help to unload your stuff upon arrival in late July.

I hope you love hot weather. Not just like, but LOVE.
    Think about this too: your stuff is going to be like 150 degrees, at least, inside a truck/trailer if it sits at all during a sunny mid summer day. Warping, melting...etc.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    movin cross country
    the governor bad
    road head good

eyes on the road
    hands upon on the wheel
    ifin you don't know the rest
    mr mojo does
    safe travels
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

All I know is you need

Weed

Whites

And wine

. . .

Moved to WA 20+ years ago from Long Island, sold two cars and rented a truck and trailer. My truck was put on the trailer loaded with tools, filled the box truck with furniture and stuff from both gf's and my place. The truck had jumpseats behind the drivers/passengers seats that gave the cab a little extra room. Stopped every 200 miles or so for gas and spent 3 nights in motels along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    To your earlier point: We used to get tax deduction for moving, but after the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 -
    My last move for work the 2nd level manager wouldnt pay for a corporate move cuz he knew i wanted to get out of town away from ex-wife any way which was a bit of an asshole thing but i got what I wanted out of the situation and fortunatley my ex wife wasn't really moving anywhere so I used her half of the tax deduction which was pulling a bit of a sneaky fast one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Think about this too: your stuff is going to be like 150 degrees, at least, inside a truck/trailer if it sits at all during a sunny mid summer day. Warping, melting...etc.
    Good to consider, especially in regards to what goes in the truck, what doesn't.

I'll be getting quotes for movers/self-pack units, but I think I'm leaning toward renting a big truck, putting everything in it, driving it myself towing one car out to Vegas, then flying back to meet up with the family and road tripping out in the van at a more leisurely pace.

We moved East last fall. Packed most of our stuff then used a big moving company. It took 2 weeks and was $9k for a 3 bedroom house. If you have a family and big furniture pay the man and buy t insurance. If it’s just you I would go the trailer route and pay for labor if needed for loading. If you need more thean a trailer worth you can I haul and town your truck on a dolly.

Not sure if you had any luck on this or not, but I'd recommend Three Men And A Truck. Used them last year to move to Seattle from out of state and didn't have any problems. Hard to say what your final price would be since it really depends on the weight of everything you're moving, but I would expect it to be on the cheaper side for a 1br/1ba place. Good luck!

Nevermind I see this is from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapler View Post
    Nevermind I see this is from last year.
    Oh good, I don't have to accuse you of being a spammer and say tits or GTFO.

Experience of my family

Well, I know that it maybe very frustrating and dangerous in some case. But since everyone have a possibility to be vaccinated -- they also received an opportunity to move somewhere. Especially after hard lockdowns we all could struggle with together.

For instance, my family finally moved to Boston from Plymouth. I begged my old ma and pa to [hire some people so they could help them without any Fail to be moved fast and accurately. Just because my parents... Well, let's say, they are this type of people who like to store a lot of stuff... Even though they do not need it. Hopefully, they understood it too.

I hope that next summer I will visit them in their new home. And I also hope that we -- the whole planet -- will finally gain the victory against COVID.

Wish you all and your families good health and moral.

Well said Mo.