Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I’m switching from clipless to flats on my 160mm bike, gonna give these a try!
    I got a couple pairs of the knee high bamboo charcoal socks.

Some notes:
    1) As reckless toboggan pointed out, these are adequate for the job of preventing shinners while XC or trail riding. I wore them yesterday on local flow trails with less serious airs and not much super-chunk/tech stuff.
    2) They are like 3/4" shy of my knee-pad bottom. I wish they were just a tad longer, for no reason other than silly weird tan lines I don't actually expect a shinner that starts on the sock to slide up into that little gap anyways.
    3) When I first put them on, the D30 pads were not super comfortable (stiff weird pads in front of ankle bones, just felt not super comfy), but once warmed up a bit from riding they "disappeared" and I didn't notice them anymore.
    4) I didn't do too much pedaling yesterday as it was a shuttle day, but it was plenty hot (90 in the sun, high 70's under the forest canopy) and they wicked sweat very well. At no point, while I was sweating and gasping for breath, did I think to myself "these socks are too hot." My goggles were soaked and my helmet doesn't have enough vents, and I only wear full-fingered gloves regardless of what I'm riding (which were warmer than I wanted yesterday), but the socks were totally fine.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

The problem is you want something with actual shin coverage not just a knee pad with a tiny extension. Luckily, there are solutions!

I use the TLD KGL 5450 and can pedal all day long in them, no chaffing. I basically wear them 100% of my time on a MTB (except when I put on burlier pads for lift served). They are super light and super protective with good shin coverage. (I also use the elbow guard version for FR and DH).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oep3419482_ff313ebf4bd3204831dca3a721eb4497b5756b1b.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	239902

If I wanted a detachable, the only non-slip-on knee-shin I know of that does a good job of staying put while pedaling/crashing and is a good piece of equipment is 7iDP Flex:

Name:  Seven_Protection_7iDP_Flex_Shin_Knee_Pad_1.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  128.9 KB

It his held on very well by three straps and they are customizable to cover more or less shin depending on your day (thin protector segments removable).
    Last edited by Summit; 07-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

OK, reading through the thread: This isn't soccer. Knee pro is far more important than shin pro.

A bad anterior shin laceration that gets you stitches and off your bike for a few weeks, the same mechanism applied around the knee gets you surgical debridement with multiple layers of stitches and staples, flexion limiting brace, crutches, and you are off your bike for three months. Just ask my wife, who now wears knee pads for 100% of her biking as a result of the aforementioned injury on an easy XC trail.

Lacs on the shin suck, but not as bad as lacs on an articulation (knee)!

That is why almost nobody makes "just shin pads" except for soccer.

More time on the concrete visionary socks ... came off a pedal today in mid air after getting bucked on a bumpy takeoff, left foot came off the pedal, weight ended up on the right crank, which spun the left pedal right into my shin right before I landed. It was a very small jump - very bouldery bumpy trail.

Success! The socks saved me from spillage of blood. I’m a fan. Definitely not for the bike park but plenty fine for trail riding on flat pedals.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'll take it over broken bones or torn ligaments, but this has still kinda sucked. On day 7 now and still having to spend a lot of time with my leg elevated.

I've been shopping a bit and the options really do seem to suck.
    What did you hit?
    Were you cut or was it blunt force that split you open 14 stitches worth.

!4 stitches is blood pool in the sock wide.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The problem is you want something with actual shin coverage not just a knee pad with a tiny extension. Luckily, there are solutions!

I use the TLD KG 5450 and can pedal all day long in them, no chaffing. I basically wear them 100% of my time on a MTB (except when I put on burlier pads for lift served). They are super light and super protective with good shin coverage. (I also use the elbow guard version for FR and DH).

Name:	oep3419482_ff313ebf4bd3204831dca3a721eb4497b5756b1b.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	239902
    Those look nice, a little more coverage on the shin and I'd be all over that. I like the backside coverage.

I'm sure those socks work great, but just the thought of wearing knee-high socks in this heat makes me a little nauseous. My knee is still pretty rough, but I've already started slacking on wearing knee pads cause they're like riding in a wool sweater. Okay, that's a bit dramatic, but they're effing hot.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Those look nice, a little more coverage on the shin and I'd be all over that. I like the backside coverage.
    KGL 5450 do come down reasonably far (farther than the picture makes them look)... far enough that a calf sock can be pulled up to meet them for descending. Not much out there has more coverage unless it is designed for lifts.

Name:	KNEE_SHIN_GUARD__TLD_KGL5450.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	240616

The exception is the 7iDP Flex pad which has a little extra coverage.

Name:  s780_7_Flex_Open_Rear_2.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  87.8 KB
    (The bottom segment is removable)
    Last edited by Summit; 07-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    What did you hit?
    Were you cut or was it blunt force that split you open 14 stitches worth.

!4 stitches is blood pool in the sock wide.
    Definitely blunt force. Not sure what did it, frame or cranks seem like the most likely possibilities. There was surprisingly little blood. Enough to run down to my sock but not much more. That shot I posted in the picture thread was all there was. Fully through the skin with some visible abrasion on the bone. 8 external stitches, plus 6 subcuticular.

4 weeks out now and it looks good but there is still a pretty significant healing response happening. If I don't spend an hour or two in the evening with the leg elevated my lower leg and ankle will start to swell the next day. I was back on my bike within a week, but I'm still a ways out from running any significant distance.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I'm sure those socks work great, but just the thought of wearing knee-high socks in this heat makes me a little nauseous. My knee is still pretty rough, but I've already started slacking on wearing knee pads cause they're like riding in a wool sweater. Okay, that's a bit dramatic, but they're effing hot.
    Like Schralp, my experience so far has been positive. One decent crash that resulted in a minor AC sprain in my right shoulder. No idea if I actually hit my shin or not in that crash, but if I did they did they job. I've also had a few rocks get kicked up by my front wheel that just missed my shin. If any of those had been on-target I would have been very happy to have the socks.

They are warmer than a short sock, but not terribly so. Outside of the foam area the sock mesh is pretty open and breathable. Certainly far, far less hot than any full knee/shin combo available.

Summit - You're not wrong regarding the consequences of shin vs. knee lacs. But, it's still BS that no one makes an easy on/easy off shin pad that supplements knee pads.

Like Schralp, my experience so far has been positive ... They are warmer than a short sock, but not terribly so. Outside of the foam area the sock mesh is pretty open and breathable. Certainly far, far less hot than any full knee/shin combo available.
    Yup, and apart from the D30 area, they were breathable enough to allow the hordes of mosquitos at Waldo Lake last week to turn my calves into a braille training manual

For any of you who have never ridden in Oregon, Waldo Lake is notorious for hordes of mosquitos - I can't say whether it's any worse than swampy marshes of Alaska or Alberta, but it was a ton. I had sprayed shirt and all exposed areas aggressively but didn't spray enough on the back of my knee pads and socks!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So what socks are you guys using? I've been using conventional shin pads for years and my shins have mostly recovered from all of the shots they've taken. I'd like to use decent knee pads but always end up hating them after a few uses as they bunch up behind the knee. Those TLD's above look to have a nice open section where I've had the problem so something to protect the shins so I could ditch the pads would be nice.

edit: These? https://www.concrete-visionary.com/h...-foam-sewn-in/

@dantheman I think i found what you have been seeking:

Scott Grenade Evo Shin D30

Strap on for easy on/off

Name:	s1600_Scott_Grenade_Evo_Shin_Guards.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	240645

Can be used with most kneepads either slipping under or strapping to (or you could add a strip of velcro). They were designed for wide compatibility, but here they are with the Scott Grenade EVO
    Name:  112510108-origpic-3560a2.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  47.4 KB

KGL5450 and Grenade Pro II side by side (newest version is the Grenade EVO)

Name:	5aba932c76c54.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	240644
    But at 600g for the kneepad pair, the Scotts are definitely heavier than the TLD pads which are under 300g for the pair if memory serves... Scotts are obviously burlier though
    Last edited by Summit; 07-05-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So what socks are you guys using? I've been using conventional shin pads for years and my shins have mostly recovered from all of the shots they've taken. I'd like to use decent knee pads but always end up hating them after a few uses as they bunch up behind the knee. Those TLD's above look to have a nice open section where I've had the problem so something to protect the shins so I could ditch the pads would be nice.

edit: These? https://www.concrete-visionary.com/h...-foam-sewn-in/
    I went with the Bamboo Knee High ... DTM which ones did you get?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I got the bamboo ones.

Any comment on fit? I think I'm between sizes--9.5 usually.

Smalls are just barely small enough for my feet at size 7.

I have a size 9 shoe in Adidas and Nike.

I ordered the smaller size socks.

The foot area is good (not super snug but a good fit, the sock isn't stretched out very much). I have super skinny ankles, so that part fits about the same as the foot in general, good fit, but not stretched very much. Most of my shin / calf above the ankle stretches out the sock pretty good to where it feels like a good knee high technical running sock. Not the super tight running compression socks, but a nice technical/supportive running sock.

The seam or elastic that makes up the very top of the sock is somewhat snug and stretched out to almost it's limits on my calf and lower knee area. But they stretch out to fit. I have pretty normal / proportional calves. Not huge Scottish calves, not chicken legs. Probably a little skinny-er than most skiers/bikers my size.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Smalls are just barely small enough for my feet at size 7.
    do you also bind your children's feet?
    skid luxury

I got the socks. I wish the padding strip was wider, but it does cover all my current pedal strike scars.

I love the feel of the foot area of the sock. The ankle things don't really sit in the right place though, and the socks have to stretch quite a bit to fit my Amazon legs, but they aren't uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    do you also bind your children's feet?
    Heh. Not only are they size 7, they're EE width. More of a flipper than a foot, really.

You think it's too late for a career change to Judo champion?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Heh. Not only are they size 7, they're EE width. More of a flipper than a foot, really.
    I think you missed your true calling.

For a mountain biker you must be a hell of a swimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Thanks for the sock beta. I got the small and they're certainly not tight on my feet, but will be compression-wear on the calves--for as long as the elastic holds out. One ride won't surprise me, but if they stay in place I'm good with it.

Also bought a pair of their "Street" knee pads, and at $30 for a pair of light-feeling pads I'm not disappointed. Definite step up from G-form etc but I think they'll pedal well enough to wear. Adjustable straps above and below, better coverage than it looked like on their site and the back is open in the middle with light stretchy mesh above and below. Soon as the road rash lets me I'll post a report, but so far the only thing that's disappointing is that there is no silicone gripper anywhere on them. To be expected at $30 and if they stay put I'll be happy. Impressive use of the non-Newtonian foam without jacking up the price.

Those TLD pads look pretty nice.

Been using these, big fan for enduro-ish riding: https://7protection.com/us/product/transition-knee/ They're light and flexible enough that you forget you're wearing them.