Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Alaska mags advice needed

So the wife was offered a job today in Soldotna. Anyone from that area? What the hell should we expect? I am lost at even what questions to ask... How expensive is daily shit? gas? milk? eggs? beer? I'm in a factory job now what kind of jobs are around? Been looking at apartments and have seeing prices from 1k-1400 for a 2 bedroom.. Sound about right? Any better resource than Apartments dot com?

ANY advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I'm not from AK, but I've spent time on the Kenai Peninsula.

In Soldotna you'll be an hour to an hour and a half from world-class backcountry skiing and sledding on Turnagain Pass and Moose Pass.

Soldotna also has really good fishing.

It's a major step up from Ohio. If you and your wife are down for an adventure and OK with the distance from family it is kind of a no brainer.

I think that is her biggest hold up.. I'm already 8 hours from my family but she hasn't ventured too far from that security feeling... She also interviewed in Highland Ut which would make the decision even easier as its not SO out there...

I should add that you'll also be two hours from Alyeska.

The Kenai Peninsula has some of the best mountain access in AK. There is a lot of really amazing stuff right off the roads that you can access on foot or by sled.

What's your setup in Ohio? Could you go back if you dislike AK? Do you have kids or other responsibilities in Ohio (caring for wife's family)?

Life is short and there are only so many opportunities like this that come along. If you don't have kids or other major responsibilities it's kind of a no brainer IMO.

Also, if you guys make the move to Utah do not live in Highland or anywhere in Utah county unless you are LDS. It's too much of a cultural divide to bridge for most people.

Maybe consider living in Sandy and having your wife commute to Highland. It would open you up to job opportunities in the greater SLC area too.

Two kids under 5 another that is over 21 living in Michigan. Own a home and plan on renting it out if we leave so we have something if we dont like it and come back. I moved from the UP with just a job and haven't regretted it for a second but I was 20 without much of a care other than my daughter. but it feels different this time. But it could just be nerves? I dunno.. I agree that this is a once and a lifetime opportunity so it will be hard to pass up...

That's a much tougher calculation. AK is a tough place to raise kids on your own. You'd find your way into whatever community you move to, but it would be a journey.

Soldotna and the Kenai Peninsula area can be a little odd, but perhaps when you live there as oppose to just passing through to recreate there's more of a community than meets the eye. There's some newish single track and, like others said, good fishing. Skiing can be really good and really grey. Cost of living isn't much more than lower 48, since it's on the road system. There used to be flights to ANC but Ravn went bankrupt and it's not clear what "new" Ravn will offer. Drive to the ANC airport is around 3 hrs over two passes.

Don't mean to sound too negative. Alaska can be great and it's really like no other place. Will you have the chance to visit before you decide? I'm sure COVID makes that difficult...

She said that a trip might be in order before deciding. She has only lived here and went to school in Cincinnati so she has always been close to "things" I grew up in the UP so I'm used to sometimes having to drive an hour to "things".. Good to know about cost of living as that was something that keeps coming up in any research that we've been able to do. I used to go Salmon fishing every day after work and would really enjoy doing it again and showing the kiddos how to do it.

Good to know about Highland.. She said that she wasn't as confident with that interview so I dont know how that will go. I would prefer SLC but thats not up to me for now anyways!

Please stay in Ohio. You'll be much happier.

If your wife has only lived in OH, then you definitely need to make a visit beforehand. AK’s not for everyone.

Milk is $5 a gallon gas is $2.50 eggs are from your neighbor or $4 a dozen. Beer runs the gamut, local microbrews are plentiful and fabulous. In Soldotna you will be mostly surrounded by oil field workers and trump supporters. Good fishing good hunting. Not my favorite spot in Alaska but I live in anchorage so my opinion doesn’t mean much. They have a good BJJ school in Soldotna.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i ask every month or so if we can move to ak yet
    my spanser says no every time
    and shes been there a few times
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

did a quiky vaca bike tour of the panhandle, it rained every day so we camped/ poached picnic shelters as far as juneau and got back on the ferry,

sure got wet, at home a slug crawled out of a pannier,

we had done france the year before which was cheaper on the ground and a different culture
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    Soldotna and the Kenai Peninsula area can be a little odd, but perhaps when you live there as oppose to just passing through to recreate there's more of a community than meets the eye.

So - did you buy a house by word-of-mouth in the highest RE values in Anchorage based on your sweet Anchorage gig?
    Or did you work your way up the clique hierarchy of seasonal tourist workers to the point you now have your own dry Tyvek cabin and glass kiln?

Test: Do you know how to find Chutes and Ladders?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I’m a cunt
    I’m a cunt
    Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    My summer job in SE Alaska was epic! Everybody should move there! I left right after I voted.
    I'm sure.

rented a cabin from a couple, she was wearing a purple T-shirt that said " I'm with shit head " and the arrow on the shirt pointed to the hubby, he was compliant enough to stand on the correct side of her

the cabin was completely made of unfinished/unpainted OSB and decorated with advertising displays extoling the virtues of different macro brews that I assume the local bar had thrown out

Mainly it was dry and it was almost like France

Solid contributions XXXer

BTW Shaggy yer wife’s breasts are very widely spaced

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    rented a cabin from a couple, she was wearing a purple T-shirt that said " I'm with shit head " and the arrow on the shirt pointed to the hubby, he was compliant enough to stand on the correct side of her

the cabin was completely made of unfinished/unpainted OSB and decorated with advertising displays extoling the virtues of different macro brews that I assume the local bar had thrown out

Mainly it was dry and it was almost like France
    My first trip to Ak was to climb Denali. I had to sacrifice a couple big toenails to the plastic boot gods coming down, but on the whole, it was worth it.
    Came limping back to town at 21:00 on Memorial Day Friday 18lbs lighter with a fucking hudge backpack with snowshoes strapped on and a couple maxed-out credit cards and no hotel reservations. Hostel was full. "There's a couch right there!" "I smill beer on you" [she was German]. "So what?" "So hostel is full!"
    Stayed in some $35/night dump on Spenard that had rotting carpet and dark 70s-style fake wood paneling and a collapsed bed. A fight broke out in the room next door. Evidently, Brian kyped a couple rocks while no one was looking, and his 2 pals had to beat them out of him by slamming him into our adjoining wall over and over again. Then the rest of the night was spent on a loud "What's wrong with Brian" session, with Brian doing a lot of screaming and crying and getting slapped a lot. What a fucking pussy that guy Brian was.

My first trip to Ak was to climb Denali. I had to sacrifice a couple big toenails to the plastic boot gods coming down, but on the whole, it was worth it.
    Came limping back to town at 21:00 on Memorial Day Friday 18lbs lighter with a fucking hudge backpack with snowshoes strapped on and a couple maxed-out credit cards and no hotel reservations. Hostel was full. "There's a couch right there!" "I smill beer on you" [she was German]. "So what?" "So hostel is full!"
    Stayed in some $35/night dump on Spenard that had rotting carpet and dark 70s-style fake wood paneling and a collapsed bed. A fight broke out in the room next door. Evidently, Brian kyped a couple rocks while no one was looking, and his 2 pals had to beat them out of him by slamming him into our adjoining wall over and over again. Then the rest of the night was spent on a loud "What's wrong with Brian" session, with Brian doing a lot of screaming and crying and getting slapped a lot. What a fucking pussy that guy Brian was.
    “Maybe it was the kahiltna crotch rot, but I had the feeling I was home!”
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

So - did you buy a house by word-of-mouth in the highest RE values in Anchorage based on your sweet Anchorage gig?
    Or did you work your way up the clique hierarchy of seasonal tourist workers to the point you now have your own dry Tyvek cabin and glass kiln?

Test: Do you know how to find Chutes and Ladders?
    Wow. You nailed it!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

IME anywhere that did not have a cruise ship dock was pretty cool like petersburg

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    Wow. You nailed it!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

You bet your kid's trust funds I did.
    But more to my point: No one who lives in Girdwood got any business casting stones at the KPB. You all live in fucking Anchorage.