Thread: YT Jeffsy Input

YT Jeffsy Input

My brother is finally getting out of the stone age and is upgrading from a 26" Giant Trance from 2008(ish). He is a teacher so keeping the spend to a minimum and has his sight set on a YT Jeffsy base build. The tough part is trying to determine what is the right size and also hoping someone could provide some insight on wheel size.

Size - (yes, I understand there is a preference to frame size) he is 6' which puts him right on the line between a Large (5"7" - 6') and an XL (6'-6'3"). I'm learning towards telling him to get an XL and then he could always put a shorter stem on if needed whereas it'd be difficult to make the L feel less cramped. Thinking if the L fits a 5'7" person it'd be tough to get it to feel big enough.

Wheel size - since it's offered in 27.5" & 29" he's pondering both. I like the rollover ability of 29" wheels but never liked how they cornered compared to 27.5 but the only 29ers i've ridden have been 5 plus years old and i know they've come a long way. Either will be a huge improvement over the current 26" (I don't care what Damian says!) but if anyone has any input on this i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Only advice I have is to avoid bottom end sram drivetrains. Spend a little more to get gx.

As far as size, a quick comparison to the reach numbers of his old bike could help to figure out size choice.

I'd go 27.5. But I like playful bikes.

I'm 5'8" and on a modern 29 in a medium, I don't worry about cornering cuz I can just ride over things I used to ride around

on-line bike mag articals are saying the industry is selling way more 29's, usually a bike can't go smaller than a medium with 29" wheels but thats not a problem for 6' bro

the problem is you can't really ride or even sit on an internet bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

He should get a 29er in an XL.

Jeffsy geo isn't all that stretched out by modern standards. I'm 5'9" and could easily ride a large.

Big wheels roll over stuff better, are more forgiving, and hold speed better. It'll take him a week to get used to them and then he'll never look back.

Agreed with others that the low level sram stuff isn't great.

I'm 5'11, 180 lbs and riding a large jeffsy 27.5
    Coming from a medium 2016 specialized enduro 27.5.
    He should plan on upgrading the tires, dropper post, and brakes pretty much right away if he gets the e13 tires, e13 dropper and sram level brakes stock with the bike.

As far as the ride, I'm much much faster climbing just about anything but still haven't gotten quite as comfortable descending as I was on the enduro.

Their size chart looks to be about 1" off or so (skewed pushing people up a size), based on my standard of looking at ETT. They say I'd be on a size large.
    I'm 5'8" and almost always on bikes with ETTs of around 600. 590 feels a bit compact, 610+ feels stretched out but manageable. But the head angle isn't super slack and the chainstay isn't super long, so the total wheelbase isn't crazy long. Finally, their seat tube lengths aren't the shortest, but they're short enough that he's not likely to get stuck with a super short dropper if he upsizes.

So... if he rides really tight twisty trails, particularly with tight climbing switchbacks, maybe he should stick with a L, but probably not the best call. But the rest of the time, I'd say your instinct to put him on the XL will be right.

If he wants a Jeffsy base build, he's looking at September delivery at the earliest if the stars align. I'd go with an XL if I were 6'. The L has a 150mm dropper while the XL jumps to a 170 mm dropper

Camlax, do you have the latest Jeffsy as it was recently updated (better on the down) and it comes with Maxxis DHR II tires

I recently updated bikes and I am 6'1 185# and I went with a L Smuggler. It feels long so I can't imagine going longer. I thought the common advice was to size down if you are in between?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    If he wants a Jeffsy base build, he's looking at September delivery at the earliest if the stars align.
    yup ^^

I have heard horror stories where a buyer has sold his old bike cuz he is promised a new bike which shows up months later, that particular incident was before Bike sales were off the charts everywhere in the world

so bro better have a lucky star, don't be stuck without a bike and have low expectations

I assume the OP has already considered that yes one can save money on an internet bike but one can't just drop it at the LBS so ... better be able to take care of the shit happens

Why can’t you take it to the LBS?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

As expected getting 50% recommending L and the other half suggesting XL. Guess that's not a bad thing as he can just go with preference. I asked YT and their response was if 29 go L and if 27.5 go XL.

thought most bike shops were changing that mentality as they realize that the consumer is going to do whats best for them. feel like shops around me will service anything as there is money to be made in servicing bikes.

also been intrigued by this bike, really want to upgrade from my 2016 stumpjumper but not a whole lot out there in my price range these day. just glad to have a bike i can go ride around on at the moment.

Agreed on the LBS. Sure, he won't get free tunes but it's not like a LBS won't work on it...

And no issues with selling his other bike too quick. He'll probably only be able to get a few hundred $s for it anyway so won't sell until the new bike is in his hands.

Of course you can take an interent bike to the LBS but just like bringing in a part from chain reaction to instal, if you bring in a bike you bought on the internet shop time is shop time so if something goes sideways they likely won't go out of their way to do anything more than offer thots and prayers

whereas if you bought the bike from the shop you probably got to actualy ride it in different sizes, its likely the shop will do a whole lot more if something breaks such as deal with the rep, might put a loaner part on the bike to get you going on a warranty issue so when you see a brand new bike in the line of new bikes at the shop missing a part its usually because they robbed the part to get somebody going and called the rep to get a new wiget

just as long as bro know's all this going into the deal
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-25-2020 at 09:41 AM.

YT Jeffsy Input

I have a Jeffsy comp coming “from 10/7”, just saw the pro will be available EOM. I was originally going to get the pro, but there wasn’t even a date. Should I change the order? Worth the extra $900? Or ride the the lower end components until they crap out and upgrade? I’m an intermediate mtber.
    Last edited by neufox47; 10-03-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Only advice I have is to avoid bottom end sram drivetrains. Spend a little more to get gx.

As far as size, a quick comparison to the reach numbers of his old bike could help to figure out size choice.

I'd go 27.5. But I like playful bikes.
    his old reach number are basically meaningless since his bike is almost for sure to small for him if its from 2008.

I 'm 5'8 and have comfortably friend demoed a L Jeffsy. He should be a on a Size XL.

Ima say this (as a very inexperienced rider and about bikes in general). Saying how tall you are doesn’t mean much in my experience. Sleeve length or reach and inseam are probably more helpful. IMO I’m 5’10 but have a 29-30” inseam. I mostly am best on a medium frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Ima say this (as a very inexperienced rider and about bikes in general). Saying how tall you are doesn’t mean much in my experience. Sleeve length or reach and inseam are probably more helpful. IMO I’m 5’10 but have a 29-30” inseam. I mostly am best on a medium frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are correct, Ape index as well.

I think riding style plays a role as well. I went with a xl nomad(2018 27.5) and kinda wish I had went L. I'm 6'3" and have a long reach but I've realized i like the smaller bike for being playful and able to throw it around a bit easier. Just wanted to throw a different perspective out there. And I dont know how SC sizing compares to YT.

I bought a medium yeti 5.5 based on demoing a Large 5.5 which I decided was too long, I was right and the medium feels absolutley perfect so the point would be how do you get the sizing of a bike right from looking at a computer screen ?

you probably want to try sitting on one and you should be very adept at working on all aspects of a bike

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I have a Jeffsy comp coming “from 10/7”, just saw the pro will be available EOM. I was originally going to get the pro, but there wasn’t even a date. Should I change the order? Worth the extra $900? Or ride the the lower end components until they crap out and upgrade? I’m an intermediate mtber.
    everyone really blew by the bump question. I have no valuable input but $900 seems like a fair price for those upgrades, nothing in either build suggests one is a better deal than the other. I'd keep the one you have coming and not restart the supply chain game.

i'm looking at a Jeffsy in mullet mode, seen a couple vids of getting 29erm runnign in high position with 27.5 in the rear. seems like best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    everyone really blew by the bump question. I have no valuable input but $900 seems like a fair price for those upgrades, nothing in either build suggests one is a better deal than the other. I'd keep the one you have coming and not restart the supply chain game.
    Thx.

Delivery got pushed back 10 days and a buddy decided to unload a Strive CF 8 with about 400 miles for $3500. So I’m a proud new Strive owner.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I think riding style plays a role as well. I went with a xl nomad(2018 27.5) and kinda wish I had went L. I'm 6'3" and have a long reach but I've realized i like the smaller bike for being playful and able to throw it around a bit easier. Just wanted to throw a different perspective out there. And I dont know how SC sizing compares to YT.
    And where you ride. Where I live (tight, twisty, and slower), a rider might prefer the L...whereas, if you live where you can pin it, you might prefer the larger size.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.