Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    It's been approved?
    If this is a repost, my apologies (I even used the crappy search functions)

http://espn.go.com/action/snowboardi...roved-21-years
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

i saw that about a month ago...this will be interesting how it all plays out. Sounds like it could be the largest ski area in north america when it's all built out.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    i saw that about a month ago...this will be interesting how it all plays out. Sounds like it could be the largest ski area in north america when it's all built out.
    But UT just approved the interconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    But UT just approved the interconnect.
    just wait until CO puts in a tram from loveland/abasin all the way to beaver creek

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    just wait until CO puts in a tram from loveland/abasin all the way to beaver creek
    Nah. It goes from Telluride to Silverton.

Looks like they've finally got things moving up there now. They've posted a bunch of pictures on their facebook page in the last couple weeks:

https://www.facebook.com/JumboGlacierResort/timeline

Fuck yea. Ski jumbo wild, Haters gonna hate

I'm not against the resort - but as someone who might ski there in the summer, that photo doesn't suggest there's a lot of year round skiing going to happen on the hills behind him. If you're going to travel all that far, it is noticeably better than the Glacier on Blackcomb? If you want people to come from really far away does it come anywhere close to SA?
    Last edited by knowsam; 10-09-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Yeah, course they ship athletes to Blackcomb too, so I'm not holding out too much hope for great August turns. Probably a pipe dream, but I was secretly hoping the Jumbo summer skiing might be somewhat comparable to South American - be nice to have some actually quality skiing some where closer in the summer. Probably unrealistic, but a guy can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Yeah, course they ship athletes to Blackcomb too, so I'm not holding out too much hope for great August turns. Probably a pipe dream, but I was secretly hoping the Jumbo summer skiing might be somewhat comparable to South American - be nice to have some actually quality skiing some where closer in the summer. Probably unrealistic, but a guy can hope.
    Summer skiing is not going to happen there, Farnham yes but not without mucho catwork to fill in the holes after a poor winter. I have skied Farnham in Aug top to bottom but the winter was a record snowfall. The alpine team trained there for a few years and they had excavators and cats pushing snow/ice into the holes to get a 1000' training run....

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    Anything is better than Blackcomb glacier in the summer. A 7-11 Snow Cone is better.

They don't ship athletes to the Jumbo glacier in the summer for no reason.
    Alpine team skied on Farnham
    http://farnhamglacier.com/gallery/race-training/

Unless you are into race/freestyle training how many people ever do more than one day of lift served summer glacier skiing?(unless they just happen to live right next to one and have a low boredom threshold).

I'm not convinced this "work" is anything more than a token effort to ensure their environmental approval doesn't expire. They had to make a start on construction by this fall.

Summer skiing is unlikely, Farnham Glacier is a heli ride from the Jumbo village site, otherwise its a looong drive back to Invermere then back up the Horsethief FSR. Not sure when the last summer race training was, not recently I don't think? 5+ years ago??

& on a tangent.... I've never figured out why environmental groups seem very vocal in their opposition to Jumbo resort, but don't seem to make a fuss about all the logging & mining activities in this area that are happening immediately outside the Jumbo CRA???

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    & on a tangent.... I've never figured out why environmental groups seem very vocal in their opposition to Jumbo resort, but don't seem to make a fuss about all the logging & mining activities in this area that are happening immediately outside the Jumbo CRA???
    I have a couple of hypothesis:
    0) Skiing is fun and therefore the work of the devil and with a strong Scottish Presbyterian culture, it's much easier to allow destruction of nature in the name of work and penance than to allow a much more restricted destruction in the name of fun. Lumberjacks cotton to the tough image (Monty Python excluded).
    1) Ski areas have much smaller pockets than do either mining companies or timber companies and it's easier to win political battles against smaller purses thereby validating the conservationist autocracy.

Ski areas in the middle of no where don't succeed. It would be an interesting project for someone with a lot of time to take a map of the western us and Canada and tag the failed areas. Rog, where are you when we need you? Rog, you could also tie in a sub column on avalanches skied out and thus personalize it.

I'm not convinced this "work" is anything more than a token effort to ensure their environmental approval doesn't expire. They had to make a start on construction by this fall.

Summer skiing is unlikely, Farnham Glacier is a heli ride from the Jumbo village site, otherwise its a looong drive back to Invermere then back up the Horsethief FSR. Not sure when the last summer race training was, not recently I don't think? 5+ years ago??
    I agree, they may even build the lodge and run it for the partners personal use with cat access..... Supposed to have drilled water wells too.

There has not been race training since before Vancouver w. Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I have a couple of hypothesis:
    0) Skiing is fun and therefore the work of the devil and with a strong Scottish Presbyterian culture, it's much easier to allow destruction of nature in the name of work and penance than to allow a much more restricted destruction in the name of fun. Lumberjacks cotton to the tough image (Monty Python excluded).
    1) Ski areas have much smaller pockets than do either mining companies or timber companies and it's easier to win political battles against smaller purses thereby validating the conservationist autocracy.
    Exactly, many people are just jumping on the bandwagon to sound environmental, and couldn't give a shit what teck or canfor is doing. Someone actually wants to invest in the area and this could really build invermere and provide jobs. And a ski resort in the middle of nowhere would be awesome, so much backcountry and places to explore, and part of what makes pano fun is it's a little mountain village by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by geezerb View Post
    Exactly, many people are just jumping on the bandwagon to sound environmental, and couldn't give a shit what teck or canfor is doing. Someone actually wants to invest in the area and this could really build invermere and provide jobs. And a ski resort in the middle of nowhere would be awesome, so much backcountry and places to explore, and part of what makes pano fun is it's a little mountain village by itself.
    B.C. has several ski areas in the middle of nowhere and most of them fail to make money or are not viable enough to operate 7 days/ week. Kicking Horse and Revelstoke are examples of not making money and too remote and not enough intermediate terrain to attract enough skiers. They will also loose customers to Jumbo as will other resorts, because there is no indication that Jumbo will suddenly attract new skiers to the sport or skiers that are new to the region.

Also, environmentalist chose to make opposing Jumbo a cause because it is easier to oppose a ski village with no residents than go against loggers, their suppliers, and their families that are established and already live in the area.

I figure there's enough ski resorts in BC, and enough resorts not making money. As many have said - this place is pretty damn remote in the grand scheme of things. Would I summer ski there a few times for shits and giggles though? Probably...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Jumbo won't provide many meaningful jobs for Invermere, its too far away. Pano struggles to retain staff, locals mostly only work there worst case. Entry level Canfor jobs pay more than double an entry level Pano job. Invermere doesn't really feel like a ski town IMO, its more a summer holiday town. Jumbo won't do anything to change that.

The road that needs to be (re) built to access Jumbo is comparable to Rogers Pass in terms of the avy paths that cross it. The current road is covered by avy debris most winters that even sleds have trouble passing.

the wells are just test wells I thought. Any numpty could drill a shallow test well near the creek & find water (its really just surface water).

If it goes ahead it will have an environment impact but that's not my beef (I'd ski there to check it out), the area has been logged & mined for over a hundred years, & I like to ski. I just don't see how it makes sense economically. The last 2 ski resorts developed in west Canada (KH & Revy) aren't making money. Jumbo is far more remote, & one has to drive past numerous other established ski areas to get there.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Because mining and logging WILL happen in Canada today successfully?

a couple of shitty footings not withstanding Jumbo would love to be a revelstoke.

Did the frogs pony up the cash for Jumbo or who are the new suckers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

I don't think anyone knows. If Jumbo has investors I'm surprised they haven't announced anything. Why wait until the 11th hour to begin any work? hence my thinking its just a token effort to not loose the enviro approval.

its a whole new game with the Tsilcotin decision that came down last summer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Because mining and logging WILL happen in Canada today successfully?

a couple of shitty footings not withstanding Jumbo would love to be a revelstoke.

Mining and logging in Canada will happen a little less successfully than a few months ago given recent the Tsilhqot'in ruling. Several mines, and the proposed pipelines from AB, are still sitting with the lawyers for interpretation. And several 'eviction' notices have been served...

Not certain how much of Jumbo development is dependent on Oberti's funding, but with the creation of the resort municipality without any tax base (no residents, etc), I suspect at least some of the investment is now subsidized by the taxpayers of BC. I could be wrong, but with this much manipulation between the developer and government, I don't have much faith in the account books.