Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Not sure what it was but Carlos just wasn't necessary, other than the fact that Santana was playing with them which is cool. Tom and Billy were enough

With respect to Carlos, It appeared to me that the band gave him space that he never really filled with developed playing. He didn’t do himself any favors by trailing off quickly on several licks leaving awkward spaces to follow, turning his own volume down on himself several times, and then launching into a short, but odd, Riders on the Storm. Maybe he got too high with the Billy’s. Or maybe I was waiting for the Carlos from Woodstock to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    With respect to Carlos, It appeared to me that the band gave him space that he never really filled with developed playing. He didn’t do himself any favors by trailing off quickly on several licks leaving awkward spaces to follow, turning his own volume down on himself several times, and then launching into a short, but odd, Riders on the Storm. Maybe he got too high with the Billy’s. Or maybe I was waiting for the Carlos from Woodstock to show up.
    Exactly my thoughts as well.

After Billy would rip it up, Carlos would do something interesting for maybe 12 bars. Then, the "Billy effect" wore off.

He was basically out of his element.

Carlos is fine (and gets my respect) when he stays in his pentatonic Am blues thing. I'm trying to recall if he broke out of that when he did those recordings with John McLaughlan. Of course, those were recordings and not live.

In one sense, this reminds me of Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton. Clapton has been phoning it in for years. When the two of them are on stage together, Winwood elevates Claptons's level.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-10-2021 at 04:59 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

https://youtu.be/rXAeKxT4eS4

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I barely had time to watch and listen last night. Interesting takes here.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

So I take it back. Carlos found himself on Scarlett ... and then Billy rips it upon Aiko.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Presale tix available tomorrow for East Coast shows. Essex,VT show added on Aug.3

Code= LETSGO

Live stream on MixLr now

Awesome show!

Billy Strings 05/21/2021 Waterfront Park - Louisville, Kentucky

Set 1: Eight More Miles to Louisville, Dust in a Baggie > Tipper > Red Rocking Chair > This Heart of Mine > Dealing Despair > Running on Empty, Show Me the Door, Must Be Seven, Bronzeback, And Am I Born to Die?

Set 2: Sophronie, Watch It Fall, Home of the Red Fox > My Rose of Old Kentucky, Fire Line, Lumpy Beanpole and Dirt, Everything's the Same, Hide & Seek

Encore: Kentucky Girl
    Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 05-21-2021 at 08:38 PM.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Anyone got any insight on why so many dates on the tour are "Venue TBA"? Did they really book a tour without locking down promoters? That sounds impossible, but I don't recall ever seeing a tour announcement that didn't list venues.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Anyone got any insight on why so many dates on the tour are "Venue TBA"? Did they really book a tour without locking down promoters? That sounds impossible, but I don't recall ever seeing a tour announcement that didn't list venues.
    I am assuming that it is an attempt to comply with Covid re-opening regulations in various states and/or venues.

It's not though, because the MT venues are going gangbusters with no-restrictions shows. Dozens of announcements for Missoula shows this week alone but nothin' about Mr. Strings.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    It's not though, because the MT venues are going gangbusters with no-restrictions shows. Dozens of announcements for Missoula shows this week alone but nothin' about Mr. Strings.
    I will be at the Missoula show wherever it is. I am actually shocked no Pine Creek shows announced. I did hear that Billy Strings price tag went up, but more than Salmon? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I will be at the Missoula show wherever it is. I am actually shocked no Pine Creek shows announced. I did hear that Billy Strings price tag went up, but more than Salmon? No way.
    Billy is crushing Vince in the market. Bet on it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Confirmed at the Kettlehouse Ampitheater as of this morning. You been yet? One of the great outdoor venues anywhere.

Confirmed at the Kettlehouse Ampitheater as of this morning. You been yet? One of the great outdoor venues anywhere.
    I'll be there. Day after the enduro in Helena. Heard so many good things about that venue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tix for Kettle house secured. Driving from Boise, anyone know of nearby camp grounds that are open past labor day. A good MTB ride to take while there and or fly fishing?
    "bound to cover just a little more ground"

Just released

Go see Billy Strings!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Just announced Colorado date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F7E47357-49BB-4EE1-B056-F6D702361199.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	286.6 KB 
ID:	377166  

A little preview of what to expect for the summer shows.

Quote Originally Posted by bogusbill View Post
    Tix for Kettle house secured. Driving from Boise, anyone know of nearby camp grounds that are open past labor day. A good MTB ride to take while there and or fly fishing?
    All of the campgrounds will be open, but Missoula is sort of notorious for not having great camping close to town, considering that it is entirely surrounded by public land. You might consider looking at places up the Blackfoot, or getting a room downtown, where there are a bunch of new hotels. The Missoula downtown area is pretty damn cool these days, and you can get round-trip shuttles to the Amphitheater from the Top Hat, which is right in the middle of downtown. This is a good option if you are planning to have a few beers.

As for fishing, the venue is literally on the Blackfoot, and there is usually good fishing at that time, though I don't fish. Tons of fishing on the Clark Fork and Bitterroot too, which both flow directly through town.

Biking season is obviously prime in September. Depending on what you are looking for, there is anything from shorter rides starting in town, to decent longer rides in the Rattlesnake (10 mins from downtown) to nearby shuttleable big rides (Carleton Ridge to Mill Creek, which gets you almost 5000' feet of descending with an 1800' climb). Also, by September, the situation at Marshall Mountain, which is halfway between downtown and the venue, will be all set and there are some pretty good mountain bike specific trails there. Everything is on Trailforks.

Got Red Rocks tix and they just announced another show on the 12th.

Just picked up tix today to Levitate (music festival) and am finally going to see Billy Strings this summer! psyched.

...and I just found out I got tickets to the Newport Folk Festival's kinda pop-up festival on their secondary marketplace, so I'm gonna be seeing Billy Strings twice this summer. Summer's shaping up!