Page 2 of 197 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I know a guy who got squeezed out of every good place to ride a dirtbike where we live, so he has recently bought a really powerful dual suspension fat ebike and he rips the city beaches and all the trails he used to be able to ride dirtbikes on when things weren't as crunchy-granola here.

He's like 65,
    I have mixed feelings but understand where he's coming from....and he's having a lot of fun and not harming anyone or anything so fuck it.
    These arguments always crack me up.

Things change with knowledge. Adapt and accept and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

You wish. Won't happen. Adapt to the new future or piss and moan.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    He's not talking about singletrack, everyone calm down. Forest roads, rail-trails and bike paths is the goal. I saw a huge amount of 'average' toursits on the Park City bike paths, hauling ass on these electric bikes. It's opening things up to non-bikers, and I don't think we will see these people on our trails in a few years. I think it's cool. I'd consider a utility bike with electric assist. Something I can put a kid on the back and some groceries would be fun.
    I would be stoked to get an ebike cargo bike for child and grocery-hauling duty.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post

I'm fat and middle aged and I haul myself to the top to ride down. If I can, everyone can.
    So someone at any age with a medical issue to prevent them from riding without peddle assist can just take up knitting instead of trying to ride, eh? How's it feel to be a narrow minded elitist?

Jersey dave is corest of the core brah.

When these things get totally dialed in, like say, ten years from now. I’ll be 63 years old with shit knees. I am so totally buying all four flavors. Road, Gravel, MTB and Fat. Future so bright.
    Go on now
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So someone at any age with a medical issue to prevent them from riding without peddle assist can just take up knitting instead of trying to ride, eh? How's it feel to be a narrow minded elitist?

Jersey dave is corest of the core brah.
    I don’t have a problem w/ ebikes. I don’t care.
    But your argument is stupid.
    Everybody can’t do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    But your argument is stupid.
    Everybody can’t do everything.

I have no idea what part of that you cannot comprehend, so why don't you give me an example on why they shouldn't be allowed. I work with a guy who has no feeling in his right leg. He's a mountain biker from way back. He's older now and has serious atrophy, but can still sort of ride. The peddle assist would benefit him tremendously. But since he has a bum leg you say he can just fade away? I say fuck off Plug and at the same time I hope nothing like that ever happens to you and somebody tells you to fade away.

It's like saying sit skis shouldn't be available because they might inconvenience someone on the hill who otherwise would not be able to participate.

Open your fucking eyes.

I get it, you’re mad.
    Sure, keep doing shit. Just do it within what’s currently being accepted.

jackstraw-

You are missing the point. MTBers have been fighting for years to maintain access to riding areas, and a critical part of the argument has been that they are a purely human-powered device. If ebikes start flooding trails that USFS, BLM, or other management agencies have designated solely for non-motorized use there is a very high probability that those trails will get closed to bikes of all kinds.

For any and all areas where motorized use is allowed or land managers have specifically decided to allow ebikes, rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    jackstraw-

You are missing the point. MTBers have been fighting for years to maintain access to riding areas, and a critical part of the argument has been that they are a purely human-powered device. If ebikes start flooding trails that USFS, BLM, or other management agencies have designated solely for non-motorized use there is a very high probability that those trails will get closed to bikes of all kinds.

For any and all areas where motorized use is allowed or land managers have specifically decided to allow ebikes, rock on.
    This. It's a legit threat and some trails have already been closed to all bikes "since you can't tell the difference."

I do admire the technology, however, and think they are great for certain uses.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Some trails have already been closed to all bikes "since you can't tell the difference."
    Post example please...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    jackstraw-

It’s different wherever you go. Here they just took over everything. If you like to mtb, great, if you liked to mx or atv or jeep.... you’re sol.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 07-16-2018 at 07:39 PM.

I have a cargo e-bike with a kid seat on it, it is awesome and almost as fast as driving on my commute with out the road rage. If you are waivering just do it, the price of entry is high but my sanity is worth it.

The problem with them on mtb trails will be the assholes who mod them and cause user conflicts, we have enough assholes on bikes who cant share trails without opening up the sport to people who are too lazy to pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I get it, you’re mad.
    Sure, keep doing shit. Just do it within what’s currently being accepted.

Yeah, I get pissed a closed minded self centered thinking.

I'm not talking about breaking rules here. If it's non-motorized then it's non-motorized. That is an issue in many places and not an issue in many others, so ride on where it's not banned.

Those that have banned it need to take another look imo depending on the situation.

Banned for noise?
    Banned for speed?
    Banned for erosion?
    Banned for pollution?

Maybe an ebike at a restricted voltage/amperage would fit in somewhere mtn bikes are allowed.

I'm in the market for a new mt bike this fall, when I buy one I'm going to take the motor off my cruiser and put it on my Reign. My cruiser will do 60kph on the flats, once the motor is on my Reign no trail will be safe.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I was reading a blog about e-bikes modded to do a 100kph on the road in I believe denmark, the e-bike has some amazing technology but there will be trouble
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    The problem with them on mtb trails will be the assholes who mod them and cause user conflicts, we have enough assholes on bikes who cant share trails without opening up the sport to people who are too lazy to pedal.
    This is a really good way of putting it. There already is a huge perception issue towards mtbr's on multi-use trails, and massaging the local laws further to allow E-bike use could very-well backfire. All it takes are a couple incidents to get the locals talking about an E-bike ban, and a previous history of hiker-biker conflicts won't help either.

So much of this could be solved if the general public was more receptive towards mtbr's getting their own system of trails. Multi-use can work in low-pop areas, but after a certain threshold it's best to let bikers build/maintain their own system. Better-built trails for the happy mtbr's, and fewer biking conflicts for the hikers.

Trying so hard not to flame this thread. Maybe it's enough to say that Ebikes are their own thing and they should not be coat-tailed into access we have secured because the throttle is pretending to pedal. Trail access should be dealt with on a case by case basis. They are motorized plain and simple. Attempts to lump them in with human powered recreation is a sham.

Am I to assume that there are no assholes on designated MB trails now? Really?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, I get pissed a closed minded self centered thinking.

I'm not talking about breaking rules here. If it's non-motorized then it's non-motorized. That is an issue in many places and not an issue in many others, so ride on where it's not banned.

Those that have banned it need to take another look imo depending on the situation.

Banned for noise?
    Banned for speed?
    Banned for erosion?
    Banned for pollution?

Maybe an ebike at a restricted voltage/amperage would fit in somewhere mtn bikes are allowed.
    We have had the discussion going on for a couple of weeks. the points that you bring up are the main reason that "No Motorized Vehicles" was instituted.

Banned for noise? Other than some woo-hoo's from the rider, these make no nose
    Banned for speed? E-bikes max out at 20MPH then the assist stops. If there is going to be a speed limit, start monitoring Strava and see what some of these riders will go and start issuing citations.
    Banned for erosion? Because they are heavier? 1. Check out that upcoming LaPeirre E-Spicy, 17.5KG. Yes, some are heavier, the Cannondale Moterra is over 50lb. So, what will be the rider/bike weight limit on a trail? Will there be a weigh in at the trailheads?
    Banned for pollution? None there, adn less than if you are shuttling too.

I get why they don't know how to classify these. But these laws were written before these were even conceived. Yes, to the letter of the law they are motorized, but to the spirit of the law, they are a bicycle.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Amazing, huh?

Electric Bike Thread

It’ll be a long road of opposition in the states despite plenty of more densely populated countries allowing them and setting in place regulations that are working. More reinventing the wheel in NA. They’ll be banned and then infrastructure week will include yuuuuuge incentives for expanding paved trail heads , and more of them, with ample room for diesel pusher RV buses. Koch paving will get the contract. Koch logging will log around the parking and they’ll be a Trump golf course for after riding. One skid or cutty and all golf privileges will be revoked but you’ll still be able to buy the hat , so don’t fret. #winning #eisbad #coalbikesrule

I’d use my truck way less(shuttles,groceries, drive to the ski hill, touring up the road)

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Only the roadies.

Ok, so here's my final answer. You need a dr's note to ride an ebike on trails. Kinda like a handicap plate. That should be easy enough to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Trying so hard not to flame this thread. Maybe it's enough to say that Ebikes are their own thing and they should not be coat-tailed into access we have secured because the throttle is pretending to pedal. Trail access should be dealt with on a case by case basis. They are motorized plain and simple. Attempts to lump them in with human powered recreation is a sham.
    This.

They are easy to modify so the 20 mph speed is invalid.

A lot of shared trail systems are designed around shared climbing trails because climbing mountain bikes don't go much faster than a walking/jogging pace very often. 20 mph will terrify many hikers and wreck the fragile balance.

You lower the cost of entry by making technology do all the work and more people can be out there doing more laps...

It's just not the same thing.