Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks guys. And yeah it got pretty bad but no one got hit by lightning and everything went by pretty quickly. Worst was some welts from being stuck in the hail out in the open on the road on the way in I think. Not a lot of good places for shelter toward the end of the race or when you're way up on the ridge.

After last year I said I would like to ride that sometime when you can stop and enjoy the scenery and am thinking the same thing again. There are some other trails in the area on trailforks but I don't know if anyone actually goes on them or clears them.

And Some pictures just got put up

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.mazz...2263541&type=3

I'm in the blue/yellow.
    Last edited by jamal; 07-15-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Nice work Jamal. I've always heard that's a cool race.

I don't race much these days (beer league doesn't count), but I still try to do one or two races a year. So I hung out with the endurbros over the weekend at the Whitefish Pescado Enduro. Had a good time and kept it upright. Local fast kid smoked everyone, but I at least managed to keep it in the mix with the rest of the mortals. I think I had solid times through the techier stages, but being miserably out of shape cost me a bunch of time on the pedally bits. Either way, it was a fun day on the bike. And rode a chair with Whiteroom Guardian - good to meet you man!

Nice work Jamal!

I was supposed to race the BME at Winter Park but didn't because <insert series of lame excuses>. Hopefully will be able to do one or two other races this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Thanks guys. And yeah it got pretty bad but no one got hit by lightning and everything went by pretty quickly. Worst was some welts from being stuck in the hail out in the open on the road on the way in I think. Not a lot of good places for shelter toward the end of the race or when you're way up on the ridge.

After last year I said I would like to ride that sometime when you can stop and enjoy the scenery and am thinking the same thing again. There are some other trails in the area on trailforks but I don't know if anyone actually goes on them or clears them.

And Some pictures just got put up

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.mazz...2263541&type=3

I'm in the blue/yellow.
    Did you or anyone here ever race in Phillipsburg in the nineties, race was called maybe Granite Ghost Ride?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Nice work Jamal. I've always heard that's a cool race.

I don't race much these days (beer league doesn't count), but I still try to do one or two races a year. So I hung out with the endurbros over the weekend at the Whitefish Pescado Enduro. Had a good time and kept it upright. Local fast kid smoked everyone, but I at least managed to keep it in the mix with the rest of the mortals. I think I had solid times through the techier stages, but being miserably out of shape cost me a bunch of time on the pedally bits. Either way, it was a fun day on the bike. And rode a chair with Whiteroom Guardian - good to meet you man!
    You too man. Super fun race. Met so many good peeps. Definitely need to find the edge. I can ride faster, but get so caught up in my head about not crashing that I think I dial it back too much on race day. Made a couple silly mistakes on stage 4 that didn't help as well.

Raced the local World Cup Wednesday here in Whistler last night. First DH race in years. Stoked to get 6th in my category. Got beaten by 2 groms (13 & under) 3 Juniors (all the fast fast ones are at Val di Sole right now otherwise it would have been much worse) and the top woman just got me. Rowdy track but fun times.

Great race last weekend for MES at Big Sky. 13th out of 45ish in Expert. That 13th in Expert would have been 16th in Pro. Said fuck it an signed up for BME this weekend also at Big Sky. Practice the last two days has felt REALLY good. Set many PRs and breaking into top 10 all times on some segments. We will see. Have talked to several CO and CA folks the last two days and the consensus is: "We didn't even know this place existed and its steep as fuck and gnarly!!!"

Nice! I just rolled into Bozeman. I’m gonna Try and check out as much as possible tomorrow then give a go to my first race in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Have talked to several CO and CA folks the last two days and the consensus is: "We didn't even know this place existed and its steep as fuck and gnarly!!!"
    Locals heard that 20 years ago, too. It's mellowed out a bunch.

2019 Maggots Racing on Dirt

I was invited to ride in the Jarmans Invitational Marathon (aka, JIM) running race this weekend. I got DFL in the velo class, though there were only two of us riding it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4368.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	290187

Ed raced it every year since its inception, always finishing and always getting DFL, so we got that in common. Ed died of cancer earlier this year, so it only seemed appropriate to make him a part of the worlds worst aid station. Runners are weird.

Name:  IMG_4140.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4139.JPG
Views: 441
Size:  92.2 KB

The other aid stations were pretty good, though.

Name:  IMG_4141.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  87.9 KB
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

That aid station is incredible!!!!

Welp, BME absolutely roasted me this weekend. Somehow got a 9th out of our small field of 12 starters in Expert Open. Stupid wreck on wet roots on Stage 1 day 1 which resulted in sideways handlebars and nearly useless rear brake. Shitshow.org. Rest of Day 1 was OK, but was in my head too much. Today I freaking flatted on Stage 4...also first stage of the day. Rode the rim about 2/3 of the stage. Just insane. A wheel that was still OK with one major cosmetic scratch appears to be now dunzo. Major chips/cracks near the bead now. Still made it through the last two stages though. Ibis carbon wheels are fucking strong as fuck.

Had a freaking BLAST on the final two stages so it was all worth it. Gorgeous weekend and met some great people. Those BME guys are next level fast. Had one guy pass me on the final stage. It's like he was floating on a bike a couple inches above the ground. I think the secret to going fast is to hover down the mountain, not roll on the wheels or anything. Was rad to watch.

Big Sky trails are fucking awesome. That was a great race. That field was stacked in every category. Holy shit, there was a lot of fast people on the mountain this weekend. Nice to briefly meet you Mike!
    Stage 5 might have been my favorite, that whole lower Ridge DH section was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I was invited to ride in the Jarmans Invitational Marathon (aka, JIM) running race this weekend. I got DFL in the velo class, though there were only two of us riding it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4368.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	290187

So you just like......go back and forth over the same mountain 5 times?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    So you just like......go back and forth over the same mountain 5 times?
    Of course not, that would be absurd. We just go up and down one side.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Big Sky trails are fucking awesome. That was a great race. That field was stacked in every category. Holy shit, there was a lot of fast people on the mountain this weekend. Nice to briefly meet you Mike!
    Stage 5 might have been my favorite, that whole lower Ridge DH section was so good.

You too man!

Stage 5 is probably where I felt best all weekend. I really love Stage 4, but that's where I flatted. I really hope BME comes back next year. I am legit doing a training program this winter. Hiking to ski is great exercise, but doesn't replace HIIT. Getting the trainer bike out in March just doesn't cut it.

I think training for Big Sky races involves doing push-ups while someone throws rocks at you

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I think training for Big Sky races involves doing push-ups while someone throws rocks at you

So you are saying it is just like winter in Big Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    So you are saying it is just like winter in Big Sky?
    Pretty much the same, just the rocks are covered with more rocks. None of that pesky snow stuff to soften the landings.

Raced the EWS 80 here in Whistler yesterday. Fun day out on the bike. Forced myself to ride smooth and not flat out and it ended up working pretty well. No crashes, beat all the group of buds I was riding with and managed to land in 8th overall. Definitely wished i had of given it a little more gas on one of the stages now, but thats racing.

My buddies kid from VT is doing the enduro thing. Do you guys know Myles Trainer? How’s he making out?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    My buddies kid from VT is doing the enduro thing. Do you guys know Myles Trainer? How’s he making out?
    Considering he was 4th in Pro Men last weekend at BME Big Sky I think he is doing pretty....pretty good. Fastest riders race the BME. The only step up is Enduro World Series really. So yeah, kid is fucking fast as fuck.

Yeah saw his name in the results. Did very well beating a lot of the local pinners and a bunch of factory dudes in the EWS this weekend.

His folks ride everyday, all year long. His old man built some dirt jumps in the backyard when he and his brother were young. Good people
    crab in my shoe mouth

I did the inaugural 100K option of the Shenandoah Mountain 100 on Sunday. Not surprisingly, it's a completely different race than the full hundred. Not as difficult, but also not as fun, IMO. A huge thunderstorm hit the night before making for a very sloppy race. I don't mind sloppy conditions as far as technical stuff and descending, but the slow dirt is a bit of a downer.

I had an interesting start. It's roughly 8 miles of rolling road and gravel to the start of the true singletrack. I was having to work my ass off to keep up with the guy I was riding with. I'd worked on the bike the day before, and everything was solid. I figured I was just having a bad day, so I backed way off, which meant I lost my buddy and was getting passed like I was standing still. We finally got to the singletrack, and I was completely gutted, mentally and physically, and was seriously considering quitting. About a quarter mile in, I hit a conga line and stepped off the bike. I pushed forward and the bike endo'd. WTF? I tried to spin the front wheel, and it didn't move. Fuck! I was able to push the pistons in with the rotor, and free the wheel up, but as soon as I grabbed some front brake it got stuck again. I worked through the options in my head, which there were none, so I did the rest of the race with no front brake. Much worse though was the fact that I'd worked so hard those first miles, I'd toasted my legs. I started cramping around mile 10 and didn't stop until the finish. Any time I had to put in any kind of real effort, like one of the endless steep climbs, my quads would lock up.

I've had low points in endurance races, but I've never had shit fall apart like that. It's interesting how things can seem so bleak one minute, and completely fine the next. "It never always gets worse". Ultimately, it was a good day on the bike. I caught up with my friend, the weather stayed cool, and the muck made people so timid that they peeled out of the way the second they heard you behind them making for some fast, uninterrupted descents.