Elko-Ruby Mtns-Lamoille Cyn

Reno news reporting 3 snowmobilers grabbed in Lamoille around noon yesterday. One rode out for help, rescuers evaced the second with injuries, then search called for the night with safety concerns. Currently searching for the third rider. What a rough month, fingers crossed.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Elko news is calling it a fatality, hope their wrong

https://elkodaily.com/news/local/roa...83698b6df.html
    Three young men from the Elko area were snowmobiling near Castle Lake high in the mountains above Lamoille Canyon when the avalanche occurred shortly before noon Saturday.
    Castle Lake is well over a mile into the Ruby Mountain Wilderness.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    https://elkodaily.com/news/local/roa...83698b6df.html

Castle Lake is well over a mile into the Ruby Mountain Wilderness.
    So they were wilderness poaching? That's probably not going to go well for them.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Poaching wilderness in that area has been extremely common in the past, has anything changed recently? Any enforcement at all? Wondering if anyone really cares enough to prosecute them.

There was a snowbike/Timbersled fatality in the Flat Tops Wilderness, CO a few years ago. I don't recall ever hearing that the survivor was fined or charged for poaching the wilderness area. Doesn't mean he wasn't, but if he was, it didn't make the news.

Someone died. I think the last thing on any reasonable persons mind would be writing them a ticket for snowmobiling in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Someone died. I think the last thing on any reasonable persons mind would be writing them a ticket for snowmobiling in the wilderness.
    So if a drunk driver kills their passenger in an auto collision do they get a pass too?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    So they were wilderness poaching? That's probably not going to go well for them.
    I'd say it's already not gone well for them

True, but there could be some sort of restitution involved, especially if it requires resources in the wilderness again to remove the sleds. Also, doesn't Ruby Mountain Heli guides have some role in avalanche accident investigations there if conditions allow.

My point for bringing it up was whether it played a roll in the accident at all. Is there significantly more compaction on the legal side of Liberty Pass? Is it another example of so many people accessing the usual zones that many are exploring further than they otherwise would?

Also why would they close off the entire canyon for the recovery effort on Sunday, or was that reported incorrectly.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    So if a drunk driver kills their passenger in an auto collision do they get a pass too?
    because that's the same? How exactly are the other two responsible for the death? They all made the same decision to be where they were.

Snowmobiling in wilderness usually carries a ~$100-$500 citation.

This may be the worst analogy in the history of the internet. But hey, I'm sure you can find someone at an anti-snowmobile lobby like Winder Wildland Alliance that would love to have a conservation with you.

Designated Wilderness doesn't mean "no mechanized access when there isn't anyone looking," it means no mechanized access period. Just because someone died doesn't mean that laws weren't broken, or that those who broke them shouldn't be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Designated Wilderness doesn't mean "no mechanized access when there isn't anyone looking," it means no mechanized access period. Just because someone died doesn't mean that laws weren't broken, or that those who broke them shouldn't be held accountable.
    You do understand that is an opinion right? Anywho...way too much death this year. 31 so far I believe. I hope formal education becomes more available and accepted in the mechanised world.

If anyone around there cared they would have someone sitting there giving out tickets on the weekends. Only one way back to their trucks, a small notch over the pass AFAIK. Giving out a ticket to the survivors might be fair but you might get death threats in Elko for doing that.

or maybe they already do give out tickets like I said? Haven't been there in years on a sled.

death threats in Elko
    would be a great band name....enforcement of wilderness boundaries is usually more about man power and resources than caring.

because that's the same? How exactly are the other two responsible for the death? They all made the same decision to be where they were.

Snowmobiling in wilderness usually carries a ~$100-$500 citation.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This may be the worst analogy in the history of the internet. But hey, I'm sure you can find someone at an anti-snowmobile lobby like Winder Wildland Alliance that would love to have a conservation with you.
    It's a blunt metaphor, but absolutely comparable: a decision was made (imbibe, recreate in avalanche terrain), a law was broken (impaired driving, snowmobile in a wilderness area), consequences ensue (citation and death).

RIP to the fallen, but I disagree that they are exempt from the consequences just because their buddy died.

A lot needs to change in the mechanized world... there's a strong "but muh freedoms!" attitude that leads to both 1) snowmobilers not wanting to listen to skiers about avalanche safety, even though the ski community is light years ahead in terms of education and awareness and 2) not caring much about wilderness boundaries, which are rarely enforced in the winter. And to be fair, a bunch of skiers reacting to accidents like this with "well, it sucks they died, but they really need to be fined for poaching wilderness" doesn't really help bridge the divide between the two communities.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This is such a despicable comment. I read recently that empathy is one of those things that can’t be taught or learned. You either have it or you don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    A lot needs to change in the mechanized world... there's a strong "but muh freedoms!" attitude that leads to both 1) snowmobilers not wanting to listen to skiers about avalanche safety, even though the ski community is light years ahead in terms of education and awareness and 2) not caring much about wilderness boundaries, which are rarely enforced in the winter. And to be fair, a bunch of skiers reacting to accidents like this with "well, it sucks they died, but they really need to be fined for poaching wilderness" doesn't really help bridge the divide between the two communities.
    The snowmobilers I see are almost all carrying transceivers, rescue gear and many have airbags and knowledge. The UAC and Craig Gordon have done a great job at local education. Similar education is being pushed out by Avalanche Centers across the country. Elko is more isolated and rural so the message is not as loud. Vibes to the friends and family.
    Last edited by TeleBlade; 02-24-2021 at 08:47 AM.