Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

5 y/o Completes the AT

Damn. Props kid.

I guess if he’s up for it and if any year was the year to do it, it was this past one.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/...iFSOJDHiyEpv7E
    I still call it The Jake.

I mean, they kept it to “only” a 10 mile per day average but I feel like this is something for adults or some teens to do when they have free will. Could be worse of course.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I fully expect us to parse this out better than the comment section on the tv station’s FB I pulled this from.

I will say that my little maniac of a 7 y/o has basically ran every section of the AT I’ve taken him on to this point so who knows. Different strokes and all.

idk man. this kid is probably a grade a fkn weirdo. no normal 5 year old would want to do this shit.
    but he did do the AT so props to him for that.
    Last edited by stealurface831; 09-08-2021 at 09:47 PM. Reason: i have recalled the fact that i am a 19yo posting on here and am thus unable to call anyone else a fkn weirdo
    swing your fucking sword.

I read another story about this earlier that said that the parents basically played make believe with him on the trail the whole way. I would have detoured off a cliff after one day of that.

Edit for the story I read: https://www.npr.org/2021/08/25/10309...-harvey-sutton

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I read another story about this earlier that said that the parents basically played make believe with him on the trail the whole way. I would have detoured off a cliff after one day of that.

Edit for the story I read: https://www.npr.org/2021/08/25/10309...-harvey-sutton
    Ha. Make believe with me would go something like this: "Harvey, today we are going to learning about the great big Whining Monster. These monsters live all over the woods and will come out of their caves when they hear kids whining about hiking, being tired, or ANYTHING. Do you know what the whining monster does when they find you Harvey? That's right, they eat you up. OK, let's start Day 1!"

Why the hate? It's better than sitting around the house playing video games all day and ending up like SuF's roommate.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

This kid just peaked at age 5, and he wont even remember doing it

Or perhaps this is just a footnote in more greatness to come?

Jeez, y'all sound like Benny today.

There's no way a 5 year old is capable of making the decision that he wants to through hike the AT. So it was the parents' decision, and they did it for their own reasons. And those are open to question. Whether it will be beneficial or detrimental to the kid's ultimate physical and social development i obviously don't know, but somehow I doubt it. Yes it's better than playing video games. Is it better than living a "normal" life? You tell me.

Surely some pregnant woman set the record for “youngest” already?

kids gonna crush it though, the kindergarten motivational speaker market is huge.

He'll be fine. Some of my best memories before I was 10 are my parents dragging me to the beach, the boat, or the mountains.
    I wonder what the parents do for a living where they can take off 8 months.

If they dragged you to the beach every day for 8 months and made you build 10 sandcastles a day, every day, rain or shine, would you remember it as fondly?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Why the hate? It's better than sitting around the house playing video games all day and ending up like SuF's roommate.
    Church.

It was the parents' decision for sure, but it sounds like the kid took to it and this will be a great ice breaker on any college app or interview down the road.

this is dumb

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    If they dragged you to the beach every day for 8 months and made you build 10 sandcastles a day, every day, rain or shine, would you remember it as fondly?
    With some of the high SPF sunscreens available today vs. what passed for sunscreens in your day, I don't see why not.

You guys are funny. Here’s a newsflash - parents make life changing decisions for their kids all the time. That is the explicit nature of being a parent, a guardian.

They did so in this case, taking the kid along for an epic journey, one which he will remember forever. Yes it involved hiking every day.

How is taking your Rug rat to Disney ok and this isn’t? I don’t see a problem here.

Who said Disney was ok? My kids never went. On the other hand, to hear them tell it, they are scarred for life by that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    They did so in this case, taking the kid along for an epic journey, one which he will remember forever.
    he’s five.

now begins the rebel heartifucation of the thread where all the cube monkeys defend the “real dreamers” of the world

That was one of the true joys of growing up, mercilessly telling my parents how one thing or another scarred us kids for life.

Who said Disney was ok? My kids never went. On the other hand, to hear them tell it, they are scarred for life by that decision.
    I know a guy who took his kids to Busch Gardens in VA and told them it was Disneyworld.

I like how this thread is lining up and people are taking sides. It bodes well for some stimulating discourse in the coming pages.

I took our kids to Disney once.

And now *I'm* scarred for life.

Fuck that place.

Prediction: he ends up sitting around playing video games all day *because* of this.

Back when the West was settled, the pioneers used to take their kids on arduous journeys into the then unknown in all sorts of weather and teeming with hostile natives. If it wasn't for these brave parents and children we wouldn't have places like Vail, Aspen, or Sun Valley. I don't even know if TGR would exist today.

Back when the West was settled, the pioneers used to take their kids on arduous journeys into the then unknown in all sorts of weather and teeming with hostile natives. If it wasn't for these brave parents and children we wouldn't have places like Vail , Aspen, or Sun Valley.
    Or Oklahoma.