Page 81 of 165 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 4105
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Smart man. You'll love the traction. Just beware muddy conditions.
    I think the non flat also has to do with the terrain. A lot of duff and hard pack sand. Roots and not too much rock. And much of that is rounded. So fast and smooth-ish and even some soft.

I did hit a steep, narrow, pointed rocky trail early in summer. That one scared me and I rode pretty slow.

Hoping to avoid mud too much. When Santa Cruz gets wet, there is usually good snow. If I want to ride, the sand at Fort Ord sucks it all in and turns to hardpack. When that starts to loosen up, stuff in back here has usually dried out. Or their is spring corn.

I test-rode a bike that I will be buying in a few weeks that had WTB Verdict/Judge combo. The side knobs on the front Verdict are undercut and the tire is absolutely terrifying when tipped over on hard dirt.

He’s going to throw on a new Verdict before I take ownership of the bike. Is the tire any good, and my experience is just due to the wear, or does it lack support in corners? The side knobs definitely look to be on the smaller side compared to, say, a Minion or Assegai.

North shore tire combo? I plan to ride throughout the monsoon season. Minion DHF front/back because... minion? Or DHF/Aggressor, but really does the Aggressor decreased rolling resistance matter around the north shore?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    North shore tire combo? I plan to ride throughout the monsoon season. Minion DHF front/back because... minion? Or DHF/Aggressor, but really does the Aggressor decreased rolling resistance matter around the north shore?
    The Aggressor is noticeably quicker than the DHF. I run it on the rear in the PNW most of the time. It definitely can get a little exciting on wet roots. This is mostly due to the Dual Compound. If you want safer and more reliable winter traction, run the DHF and throw an Aggressor on in the spring time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Aggressor isn't a great wet weather tire. It packs up, and it only comes in dual compound which isn't all that grippy on wet roots and rocks.

That was easy. Thanks.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

North shore is all loam right? Not much clay? Probably DHF front back could work ... I hate both DHF and Aggressor in wet clay (but love them in dry to moist loam). We got both loam rich areas in the Cascade Foothills and clay rich areas on both sides of the Willamette Valley. DHF/Aggressor is an amazing prime season combo in the loam - one of my favorite combos for that.

If it’s really wet Butcher front DHF rear could be grippier than DHF front and back - Butcher’s blocks look taller than DHF and they clear muck really damn well for a tire that isn’t a pure mud tire. My winter bike (hardtail) just got 2.6 Butcher Grid front and back mounted (on 35mm rims). I don’t think I need a proper mud spike tire like the Shorty or Hillbilly so I think this will work well for riding between storms and hopefully not too draggy on shoulder seasons and dry spells. I’ve been super stoked on the Butcher front in wet and mixed bag conditions, even enjoy it in dry conditions, but haven’t gotten to test it out back yet because, we’ll we’ve had PM2.5 above 400 since Labor Day and all public lands around here are closed until further notice ...

For Fall riding around here (Eugene/ Oakridge) on my FS bike I’m gonna try swapping from 2.3 DHF / 2.3 Aggressor to 2.6 Butcher / 2.4 Dissector (30mm rims). I couldn’t find 27.5 DC Dissectors anywhere so ordered a cheap 2.4 3C MaxTerra and will try that in back - we’re about to get some rain so hopefully I’ll appreciate the extra grip of 3C back there anyways ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    New EXO Dissector lasted all of 6 rides. 1st day in Bentonville I put a 1cm cut right between the center knobs, running 28psi in back on my hardtail. Made for a pretty good sealant roost as I slowed down.
    You don't say...

First time in my entire riding career (lol) that I've cut a tire in the tread. Plenty of sidewalls (though not in a long time), but never down the middle. Ironically, I'm probably 15-20lbs lighter than any point in the last 20 years, but those NWA rocks are sharp I guess.

PSA: Apparently Michelin is phasing out the Wild Rock'R2.

I just ordered 3 from ChainReaction.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I can’t read 80 pages of this...

Replacing a high roller 2, 27.5x2.4 EXO on the front of my hard tail, anything else I should look at?

Riding in SW CO, so dddrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy conditions, a lot of hard pack, pine duff and rock. Not too worried about shedding mud.

I like the hr2 up front on flow ex’s, good supportive side knobs, sorta slow but great braking, round enough that it’s predictable. Had been running conti trail kings on the front previously but kinda blew through them. I don’t seem to cut tires, but I’m not a small man.

I never really got along with dhf’s previously, maybe a little too on/off for my skill set. There anything that’s a game changer that I should look in to, or just stick with what works?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post

Replacing a high roller 2, 27.5x2.4 EXO on the front of my hard tail, anything else I should look at?

Riding in SW CO, so dddrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy conditions, a lot of hard pack, pine duff and rock. Not too worried about shedding mud.

I like the hr2 up front on flow ex’s, good supportive side knobs, sorta slow but great braking, round enough that it’s predictable. Had been running conti trail kings on the front previously but kinda blew through them. I don’t seem to cut tires, but I’m not a small man.

I never really got along with dhf’s previously, maybe a little too on/off for my skill set. There anything that’s a game changer that I should look in to, or just stick with what works?
    Please see post #2011. You can thank me later.

I'd argue that HR2's are much more on/off than DHF's, for whatever that's worth.

If you want a front tire that's traction-y, not on/off-y, and you don't mind a slow roller, maybe an Assegai? A WTB Vigilante is along the same lines as an Assegai, but slightly faster rolling (but probably a bit less traction in any given situation).

Trail Kings are more of a rear tire with the alternating paddle-like center block. I actually did like Conti Mountain King for dry and rocky conditions, not the most amazing tire but consistent and predictable in that kind of stuff with no real on/off zone - I ran them front and back for a while, but they do have a deserved reputation for not having the most sidewall durability (I tore a bead out near a rim strike, my fault and not sure how other tires would fare) but the tread blocks were really long wearing.

I also liked the Vigilante up there in dry conditions, but the tread blocks definitely wore a lot faster than the MK2.4.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Shit. All GumX flavors out of stock, only MagiX left.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    First time in my entire riding career (lol) that I've cut a tire in the tread. Plenty of sidewalls (though not in a long time), but never down the middle. Ironically, I'm probably 15-20lbs lighter than any point in the last 20 years, but those NWA rocks are sharp I guess.
    Don't worry, you're at 10 years, you'll gain it back in about an hour at your ani dinner.

And, I'm glad I wasn't on your rear wheel when that went down, although a few inappropriate jokes were hopefully still had.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Ran a Vittoria Barzo 2.6 front and Mezcal 2.35 rear on my 27.5 Trance last week for 64 miles and 10k elevation over two days in the Tetons. Not even a scuff on the sidewalls, and the tread looks good. They had impressive traction especially after the rain/snow hit up there. I'm pretty sold on this for long-duration rides when weight does matter (not shuttling DH runs). Barzo had no issue hooking up on all the flat switchbacks found at Targhee.

Yes, I believe I badmouthed the Barzo in a previous post, but that was running the 2.6 on the rear- it felt super slow. On the front in place of my 2.6 DHF it feels marvelous.

I have one in my cart and was thinking today maybe I wait until I need a new tire. Current tires have plenty of life

RE: Rock'r2 - How does it handle in the dry loose? I don't want it for mud/clay, but I'm on plenty of hard pack, and a bit if rock, but my Wild Enduro had been working plenty nice int he sand and loose dust on crust we have plenty of this time of year. Ready to buy if it works well in that stuff, but improved grip on hardback and rocks.

Actually lost my front wild enduro for the first time today on a dust on crust hardback reverse camber turn I should have know I was coming it too fast for. A little trail rash on my right forearm. Learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I have one in my cart and was thinking today maybe I wait until I need a new tire. Current tires have plenty of life

RE: Rock'r2 - How does it handle in the dry loose? I don't want it for mud/clay, but I'm on plenty of hard pack, and a bit if rock, but my Wild Enduro had been working plenty nice int he sand and loose dust on crust we have plenty of this time of year. Ready to buy if it works well in that stuff, but improved grip on hardback and rocks.

Actually lost my front wild enduro for the first time today on a dust on crust hardback reverse camber turn I should have know I was coming it too fast for. A little trail rash on my right forearm. Learning.

Then tell me how much you like it...

^^this. Perfect app fot yhe tighter spaced side knobs

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'd argue that HR2's are much more on/off than DHF's, for whatever that's worth.
    Might be that when I was running dhfs it was on a much narrower rim. Or that I got back into riding bikes fifteen years ago and I’m still a hack.

Will check out vigilante/assegai/rockr 2.

15 years ago? Didn’t DHFs suck at first, then get better, about that many years ago?

I didn’t get into it until 12 years ago and didn’t spend any time trying to get to know shit until about 6 years ago ...

I’ve only ever run HR2s as a rear ... just thinking about toast’s comment, you have two things. The wider than DHF alternating paddle on the HR2 would create slightly less on off getting off the centers, but the lack of L-cornering knobs (all straightish on the HR2 right?) would create more on/off before getting onto your lean? Tossup, on paper I say.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    15 years ago? Didn’t DHFs suck at first, then get better, about that many years ago?

I didn’t get into it until 12 years ago and didn’t spend any time trying to get to know shit until about 6 years ago ...
    You might be thinking of the original DHR, vs the DHR II. I hated the original DHR and didn't understand why anyone would want to use Minions because of how shitty the bike rode with a DHF/DHR combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

You're probably thinking of the DHR. The original one was stupid, the DHRII came out... 10 years ago maybe?

^^^ that. Dhf was always good. Dhr wasn't great.