Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Third and sixth grade classes virtually from my house this week. So far no big complaints here as to quality of education. These kids are going to be experts at virtual business meetings. Interactions between the students on breaks is a plus and fun to listen in on. OTOH The students with parents working two jobs to be poor are screwed. Again.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    <snip> why in the hell are you a school board member if you have no kids?
    'Cause those people have lots more time to devote to something like the School Board... 'cause they don't have kids.

Many childless public school board members are there to cut costs and taxes. IME.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Many childless public school board members are there to cut costs and taxes. IME.
    There is, no doubt, some of that going on as well.

Yep. Most school boards I've seen are not great.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    School boards and Superintendents are not qualified to deal with this shit. They generally received little to no useful guidance from the State or national level. They were slow to make plans. And then they had to change their plans because the plans where no good. Then the principals and teachers had almost no time to prepare. This is where we are.
    They received guidance from the feds. It was to reopen the schools.

So, this is going as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    They received guidance from the feds. It was to reopen the schools.

So, this is going as expected.
    I said useful guidance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Our school district is refusing to open in Vermont & are 100% remote only. Our issue is that my wife & I are both in healthcare - my wife actually is in the Ears/Nose/Throat specialty & is often the one dealing with the Covid-19 testing/treatment/management. Even with a delayed start to school, our district had no schedule/curriculum/plan to even attempt to make work, so we placed out kiddos in a private school. It has been an alarming night & day experience. The level of organization in private vs. public school is shocking.

We have requested that since the public district is so in the weeds, that the release our kids' tuition - this too has been disappointing in their responses.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    School boards and Superintendents are not qualified to deal with this shit. They generally received little to no useful guidance from the State or national level. They were slow to make plans. And then they had to change their plans because the plans where no good. Then the principals and teachers had almost no time to prepare. This is where we are.
    True.
    Over a dozen school districts in our county. Only one did one week on one week off.
    Then the rec Dept is planning to host kids on the off weeks.
    Parents can work!

Why the governor didn’t suggest this is as asinine

Two on three off is stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Our school district is refusing to open in Vermont & are 100% remote only. Our issue is that my wife & I are both in healthcare - my wife actually is in the Ears/Nose/Throat specialty & is often the one dealing with the Covid-19 testing/treatment/management. Even with a delayed start to school, our district had no schedule/curriculum/plan to even attempt to make work, so we placed out kiddos in a private school. It has been an alarming night & day experience. The level of organization in private vs. public school is shocking.

We have requested that since the public district is so in the weeds, that the release our kids' tuition - this too has been disappointing in their responses.
    Another school choice voucher voter is born!

When my kids went to public school I was psyched to get some tax value.
    Then they hit fourth grade and I had to pay for private school since the bloated administration doesn’t give a fuck about teaching and accountability
    . . .

and some, though they have no children, realize that today's children will grow up to be tomorrow's adults that will be influencing/running things so they want to make sure they get a good education.

other thoughts and questions:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Is it your district that's refusing or is it your local government keeping the district from opening? The latter is the case for us in Oregon, and I get it. Teachers also not wanting to get COVID-19 and "take one for the team" so to speak.

I don't think getting the funds back from the public school district is allowed anywhere...unless maybe for home schooling programs. We don't have "vouchers" for example, that can be spent on any school one chooses. Maybe Vermont is different.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Yet those same teachers demand plenty of other people take one for the team. From the lowly grocery store worker to their doctor of choice.

Also, in NH at least, lots of small towns that are to remote or to small to fund a school district of their own will give residents "vouchers" to attend school elsewhere, including in some cases other states like VT. They don't cut parents a check per se but just pay the school district the family chooses directly.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Is it your district that's refusing or is it your local government keeping the district from opening? The latter is the case for us in Oregon, and I get it. Teachers also not wanting to get COVID-19 and "take one for the team" so to speak.

I don't think getting the funds back from the public school district is allowed anywhere...unless maybe for home schooling programs. We don't have "vouchers" for example, that can be spent on any school one chooses. Maybe Vermont is different.
    It is at the district level here, most other school districts & unions are open or on some hybrid model. It is a mess, we attempted to hire a teacher privately to start a pod – the district got offended and actively blocked our efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yet those same teachers demand plenty of other people take one for the team. From the lowly grocery store worker to their doctor of choice.
    ^This 1000%

It was suggested by our school board that one of us as parents either quit our job or take a leave of absence. Exactly how does that work in a rural area with marginalized healthcare to begin with and a massive influx of COVID-19 refugees from the tri-state area?

It is at the district level here, most other school districts & unions are open or on some hybrid model. It is a mess, we attempted to hire a teacher privately to start a pod – the district got offended and actively blocked our efforts.
    That's some BS right there...sorry to hear.

Also, in NH at least, lots of small towns that are to remote or to small to fund a school district of their own will give residents "vouchers" to attend school elsewhere, including in some cases other states like VT. They don't cut parents a check per se but just pay the school district the family chooses directly.
    Both of those situations are much different than a school room full of kids who are incapable of SD'ing perfectly or a Dr.'s office where they can restrict the number of people, means of movement through an office, for wearing a mask, etc. etc. etc. Just not an apples to apples comparison.

The funding thing you speak of is totally different than what iriponsnow is talking about. He's looking for a check to pay the private school with...what you're talking about happens in Oregon. You tell your district you want to attend public school XYZ in ABC district and they release the funds to the other district. That's totally different than funds from public schools being extracted from the district and going to a private school, such as a religious school.

^This 1000%

It was suggested by our school board that one of us as parents either quit our job or take a leave of absence. Exactly how does that work in a rural area with marginalized healthcare to begin with and a massive influx of COVID-19 refugees from the tri-state area?
    And that's a 1000% idiotic comparison.

Equally idiotic is your district suggesting you guys just quit your jobs.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

What’s idiotic is that we were seen as a threat to the school system by attempting to hire a teacher – they viewed this as taking away from the potential resource pool should they need one in the future. However, we were looking to employ someone that was not currently working, but had been vetted as an appropriate option for present openings in our district.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Yep. Most school boards I've seen are not great.
    And most are just volunteers and not paid..

I'm in Vermont. Our district had a plan ready for about two months now. Who knows if it will work. However it is an intricate plan and they are executing it. So I am going along enthusiastically.

This belongs in a handful of threads:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/us/pa...rnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    That's some BS right there...sorry to hear.

Both of those situations are much different than a school room full of kids who are incapable of SD'ing perfectly or a Dr.'s office where they can restrict the number of people, means of movement through an office, for wearing a mask, etc. etc. etc. Just not an apples to apples comparison.

The funding thing you speak of is totally different than what iriponsnow is talking about. He's looking for a check to pay the private school with...what you're talking about happens in Oregon. You tell your district you want to attend public school XYZ in ABC district and they release the funds to the other district. That's totally different than funds from public schools being extracted from the district and going to a private school, such as a religious school.

And that's a 1000% idiotic comparison.

Equally idiotic is your district suggesting you guys just quit your jobs.
    1) It is most definitely an apples to apples comparison. Controlling mask wearing? You think a minimum wage grocery store worker has any more say in who wears what compared to a teacher in a classroom? Come the fuck on.

2) Actually, in my NH example, you can choose to attend private school. A popular choice is St. Johnsbury Academy in northern VT for many northern NH towns. Just because they cut out the middle man and don't cut the parents a check directly to then pay the school is just semantics.
    Live Free or Die

Private schools, especially religious ones, should be illegal.

Article this morning said 60 cases so far in Montana schools. For the most part classroom spread has been limited by masks and distancing. Also said that seating charts have been important tool when doing contact tracing. Been some temporary shutdowns but nothing permanent yet. It's going to be a stop-and-start year.

Absolutely. I know a guy who owns a golf course and his kid goes to a private school, yet he sits on the public school board. That's horeshit imo.

1) It is most definitely an apples to apples comparison. Controlling mask wearing? You think a minimum wage grocery store worker has any more say in who wears what compared to a teacher in a classroom? Come the fuck on.
    You clearly don't have kids, thankfully, because you are a fucking moron.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Why, because public schools do such a great job there's no need for that alternative? Good luck with making religious schools go away, for thousands of years they've been a thing and there are some religious institutions that couldn't survive without that revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Why? My kids have learned more in 2 weeks of private schools than all last spring & there's no behavioral nonsense being tolerated to distract from the education, parents are engaged & I now get meaningful communication from my kid's teachers.