Page 211 of 380 FirstFirst ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 9497
    You don't need to answer, but here are the questions: what's the pitch? How many valleys? Chimneys? How messed up is the flashing? -> or seeing that it's b'ham, is there flashing? Are there already two layers (means a tear-off) or will it go on top of the existing?

I've got some guys I can recommend, and some to avoid.

How would you feel if you hypothetically saw this in the foundation of a 1914 house, and a home inspector (hypothetically) said "Inspector noted cracking and movement at the North foundation wall. Foundation and bulkhead are cracked. Typically, this is caused by inadequate drainage. Recommend further investigation and repairs/monitoring as needed."?

Is this a "holy shit, massive foundation repair required" situation?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	386416

This first quote I got from a highly reviewed contractor seems high but what do I know

Super simple deck at my rental on top of flat surface i.e. 1 foot raised back patio and no rails.

“I had a chance to look at your deck and take measurements. In total it has 252 square feet including the fascia boards going around the deck frame. We will be building the frame out of pressure treated wood and joists at every 16 inches for the installation of Trex Boards or other Cedar boards. For the construction of the deck with Trex Transcend it will be $8,840 or $7560 for Trex Select or Cedar boards. Let me know what you think if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!”

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    You don't need to answer, but here are the questions: what's the pitch? How many valleys? Chimneys? How messed up is the flashing? -> or seeing that it's b'ham, is there flashing? Are there already two layers (means a tear-off) or will it go on top of the existing?

I've got some guys I can recommend, and some to avoid.
    I'm worried you guys will get wind that these questions aren't strictly hypothetical, but as best as I can make it out, maybe 7 valleys, no chimney (it was removed), two skylights. Pitch is...IDK, not excessively life-threatening. I don't know about flashing. The roof is 25 years old; the inspection report (seller's inspector, not ours) says it needs to be replaced "soon", but not necessarily immediately.

py Streetview screenshot:
    Name:  Roof.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  82.1 KB
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 09-24-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    This first quote I got from a highly reviewed contractor seems high but what do I know

Super simple deck at my rental on top of flat surface i.e. 1 foot raised back patio and no rails.

“I had a chance to look at your deck and take measurements. In total it has 252 square feet including the fascia boards going around the deck frame. We will be building the frame out of pressure treated wood and joists at every 16 inches for the installation of Trex Boards or other Cedar boards. For the construction of the deck with Trex Transcend it will be $8,840 or $7560 for Trex Select or Cedar boards. Let me know what you think if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!”
    Always thought composite needed 12” OC joists, though google tells me 16” is fine for Trex in a residential application. I’ve heard, though (and seen) that over 12” OC will eventually lead to sagging between joists. This may not be true anymore and I’d defer to those with more recent experience.

Is this a floating deck? Posts? Anchors?
    Last edited by Mustonen; 09-24-2021 at 04:40 AM.
    focus.

"Seems high" is what construction projects cost. I think that estimate is fair to low. Decks end up being really expensive. For a data point, I'm gonna charge $6K a week for a 2 man crew.

Most new composites I install are spec'd at 12" O.C.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I'm worried you guys will get wind that these questions aren't strictly hypothetical, but as best as I can make it out, maybe 7 valleys, no chimney (it was removed), two skylights. Pitch is...IDK, not excessively life-threatening. I don't know about flashing. The roof is 25 years old; the inspection report (seller's inspector, not ours) says it needs to be replaced "soon", but not necessarily immediately.

py Streetview screenshot:
    Name:  Roof.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  82.1 KB
    This roof looks like a pain in the ass to strip and reroof. Tons of landscaping make ground access difficult, lots of odd areas. Good amount of sidewall flashing involved and waste with so many hip roofs along with cutting instead of dropping shingles fast. If I still did roofing I would price it at "I don't really want to do this but will for $$$XXX".

I hope you can find the right contractor.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I’m bummed I didn’t know about GRK R4 screws until recently. They seriously make everything easy. The impact part of my impact driver only kicks in for the last 10% of the drive now instead of closer to 50% with other screws, start easy and are rated for framing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    $10k
    LOL

Going to meet with the design/build company for the unveiling of their major remodel/addition proposal today. Pray for us.

How would you feel if you hypothetically saw this in the foundation of a 1914 house, and a home inspector (hypothetically) said "Inspector noted cracking and movement at the North foundation wall. Foundation and bulkhead are cracked. Typically, this is caused by inadequate drainage. Recommend further investigation and repairs/monitoring as needed."?

Is this a "holy shit, massive foundation repair required" situation?

Name:	crack.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	386416
    does it leak ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What's the consensus for a good house entertainment speaker system? Sonos?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I really like my Sonos, beam and sub. It’s certainly overpriced and the audiophiles probably sneer at it, but it takes a hot minute to set up and sounds good to my ear. I’ll be looking to get a couple Ones soon, probably.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    does it leak ?
    any evidence of recent movement?
    [ie, is it in a "final" settled position? clearly the crack indicates some kind of movement]

if it's not moving & hasn't in years
    and
    if it's not delivering bulk water into the basement

then it may be a non-issue

concrete of that era is not generally great & often has big cracks like this at this point in their lifetimes

if this is a forever house, consider that you should upgrade the foundation & attendant waterproofing
    if not, maybe don't store anything precious in the basement & rock on

i wouldn't drywall this basement without dealing with the waterproofing at minimum

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    does it leak ?
    Not to our knowledge, and no water marks / stains. It's been pretty dry lately though, so hard to say conclusively. Improving the grading on this side of the house would be a high priority.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    any evidence of recent movement?
    [ie, is it in a "final" settled position? clearly the crack indicates some kind of movement]

if it's not moving & hasn't in years
    and
    if it's not delivering bulk water into the basement

then it may be a non-issue

concrete of that era is not generally great & often has big cracks like this at this point in their lifetimes

if this is a forever house, consider that you should upgrade the foundation & attendant waterproofing
    if not, maybe don't store anything precious in the basement & rock on

i wouldn't drywall this basement without dealing with the waterproofing at minimum
    Thanks! We're working with the seller's inspection report and a video tour from our agent, so less than perfect information, but that's helpful perspective. It's an estate sale and the former owner was an architect who lived here for 30+ years; in general, it seems to be very well-maintained. An architect wouldn't do us wrong, right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    This roof looks like a pain in the ass to strip and reroof. Tons of landscaping make ground access difficult, lots of odd areas. Good amount of sidewall flashing involved and waste with so many hip roofs along with cutting instead of dropping shingles fast. If I still did roofing I would price it at "I don't really want to do this but will for $$$XXX".

I hope you can find the right contractor.
    Thanks! I have no experience with roofing so that's helpful. There are three of those attic dormers (one is hidden in this photo), as well as a one-floor addition on the back of the house, so yeah, lots of complexity. The one saving grace is the plantings are actually not right up on the house, so access is less painful than it looks like from this picture.

Not to our knowledge, and no water marks / stains. It's been pretty dry lately though, so hard to say conclusively. Improving the grading on this side of the house would be a high priority.
    Did they paint it recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    "Seems high" is what construction projects cost. I think that estimate is fair to low. Decks end up being really expensive. For a data point, I'm gonna charge $6K a week for a 2 man crew.
    Thanks. My mind is still stuck in 1990. I was thinking $25 ish a sq foot for a non complicated deck. I guess I could try to tackle it myself

Name:	IMG_2824.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	886.2 KB 
ID:	386444

RE: comp decks, 16" will be bouncy

RE: the basement walls, I'll text you the guys

An architect wouldn't do us wrong, right? ;-)
    no guarantees except that we have assholes in our midst, just like any other group...

Thanks! We're working with the seller's inspection report and a video tour from our agent, so less than perfect information, but that's helpful perspective. It's an estate sale and the former owner was an architect who lived here for 30+ years; in general, it seems to be very well-maintained. An architect wouldn't do us wrong, right? ;-)
    My sewer contracter ski bud told me concrete was mixed by hand back in those days and usually not all at once so it is often more porous even if its not cracked

I had a leaking crack bigger than that sealed with a 2 part resin, I ran the hose on the outside of the foundation for an hr to see if it still leaked but it was all good, you do wana make sure it doesnt leak before finishing the space
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

As noted in the report, that looks to be a bulkhead wall - not supporting or providing foundation for anything, right? If there's no rotation of the wall out of plumb or large displacement of neighboring surfaces, I wouldn't be real concerned. Pre war concrete does suck, but that looks like a pretty well done wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I really like my Sonos, beam and sub. It’s certainly overpriced and the audiophiles probably sneer at it, but it takes a hot minute to set up and sounds good to my ear. I’ll be looking to get a couple Ones soon, probably.
    I'm with this guy... simple, sounds decent. I still have a receiver in the cabinet, but haven't used it in AGES.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Did they paint it recently?
    Probably not. There are other water stains in the basement, and they disclosed some leaking in another area.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    As noted in the report, that looks to be a bulkhead wall - not supporting or providing foundation for anything, right? If there's no rotation of the wall out of plumb or large displacement of neighboring surfaces, I wouldn't be real concerned. Pre war concrete does suck, but that looks like a pretty well done wall.
    Thanks, there may be a little bulge, but no obvious rotation out of plumb.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Vinyl - what’s wrong with it?

Vinyl’s environmental profile isn’t great.

Weaker construction than other types, so smaller size options & poorer durability in harsh environments. Also limits more robust glazing options that might offer better thermal performance.

Because it’s the cheapest line, it is often the least customizable & mfrs offer few profiles to match traditional window profiles.

You can’t paint it. So, white, beige, & maybe a gray or bronze get offered, sometimes black.
    are there non-custom $$$ options for a good historical match?

Of course the windows upstairs means it’s already on modernish replacements