TR: Winter Returns to Tahoe

My TR production the past couple of years has all but dried to a halt. I am going to try and post up more this year of good days in the mountains.

Date: Sunday, November 29, 2015

Skiers: MapleLeafGillies, Mike, Morgan and UCL

Photos: MapleLeafGillies, Mike and UCL as noted (although everything was shot with various forms of cellular machines…)

Synopsis: So far in November, the Tahoe Basin has been consistently receiving small winter storms on a weekly basis. What has been interesting is that November in the Tahoe Basin has been below historical average for both total precip and snowfall. However, with the horrible "winters" the past several years, everyone is obviously excited with cold, consistent snowfall coming in. This past week in fact, Tahoe got a very cold storm dropping down from Alaska the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, followed by well below average temperatures the remainder of the week into the weekend.

As is typical, the winds shifted and moved snow around a bit after the storm, but some simple diligence of reviewing wind speed/direction and use of a topo map directed us to a likely great spot for non wind-affected, deeper snow. It was crazy to head out to the car at 8AM and have a temperature reading of 5F!

UCL and MapleLeafGillies checking out a wind-scoured zone on way to our intended goal. Photo: Mike

At the top of our intended zone, we were treated to some great views and what was clearly deep and non wind-effected snow. The weather was beautiful and the snow was staying very cold for some good "cold smoke" turns. Photo: UCL

After some stability assessments and discussion, we headed for our first lap. I was lucky enough to get first dibs, and trust me it did not disappoint. WINTER IS BACK! Photo: MapleLeafGillies

We worked our way down the slope, fresh tracks for all. It was very good coverage in this area, which is always a concern early season. Mike dropping in next through the cold smoke. Photo: MapleLeafGillies

Mike and Morgan, respectively, working down further. Photo: UCL

Everyone was pumped as we continued down – the snow had remained very cold and the coverage in this aspect/elevation was very good. UCL enjoying being back on skis! Photo: Mike

MapleLeafGillies following up in style. Photo: Mike

We continued down a ways to a bench for a quick water break and skinned back up for another lap. The snow stayed consistently amazing the entire way down. Photo: UCL

Morgan dropping the knee in style. As an aside, none of us had a real camera and shots like this really exhibit how cell phone cameras really are not replacements for the real thing. Photo: UCL

We transitioned a bit over in the aspect and found even better snow in Lap 2. UCL and Morgan, respectively. Photos: MapleLeafGillies

Working down, the snow got even deeper and lighter. Did I mention how pumped I am to be on skis again! Days like this are so great. Photo: MapleLeafGillies

One last shot of MapleLeafGillies – my zoomed-in iPhone camera does not do this justice. Photo: UCL

Overall, an outstanding start to the season with some good friends in great snow in a place I love. Hear is hoping for an outstanding Winter in Tahoe this year!
    Last edited by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer; 12-01-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Nice tour / turns !

Awesome!

Wow, nice!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Nice dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

proper TR. raspect.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Looks great!

Well done

Nice. It's good to see winter back in its rightful place for the Sierra.

north side of relay/houghton? did you ski broken glass on the way in?

Jealous.

Rainy and warm here on the east coast. Winter has NOT begun.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Nice turns.

glad to see folks are skiing! #jelly

Nice, hopefully the start of a good winter.

Awesome. Hope you guys have a good winter. So far almost no sign of winter out East.

Nice. Been a while since I've seen a Tahoe TR. Thanks.

Go Tahoe! Hope you dudes get a season this year. Looked fun!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Solid!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    north side of relay/houghton? did you ski broken glass on the way in?
    It sure looks like it. But I was there on the same day and time and didn't see a soul. I skied that zone between 10 am and noon before moving on. UCL?

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    It sure looks like it. But I was there on the same day and time and didn't see a soul. I skied that zone between 10 am and noon before moving on. UCL?
    AKB - funny we didn't see you either as we were there at the same. We first skied the W facing trees on Tamarack down to the meadow (which was good given all the snow had been blown from HGB onto that leeward W aspect), then headed up and over to the ridge between Relay and Houghton for the W/NW trees for the same reason. Skied a couple of laps back there. Agreed very good day and we didn't see anyone back there.

Great view of Lassen by the way that day!

Huh. Weird. I was a little bummed that the north ridge off of Relay, which had been my goal, was so windfucked. I'll probably get out that way tomorrow if you're around.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Huh. Weird. I was a little bummed that the north ridge off of Relay, which had been my goal, was so windfucked. I'll probably get out that way tomorrow if you're around.
    Odd we didn't see/hear you. Yeah, we stayed off anything N-E facing in light of the prior wind. However, all the W-stuff was awesome.

I am around tomorrow but might be poking around west shore or silver. TBD. Will email you if we head up your way.

Nice TR. It's amazing how "below average" feels like "way above average" after the past few winters. Keep after it.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

i will be coming our on the 13th for four days of skiing. Here's hoping for a big storm to roll int.