Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    There is a Fitbit for that. Or Apple Watch. Or another fancy wrist toy.
    Yeah, but what if you try to read your pulse and you mistakenly read your gps, or your locator beacon, or your altimeter, or your actual watch and tell your doc your pulse is 20, or 200. Or worse, you can't figure out what to read and as you're trying to figure out it you ski into the bergschrund?

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Yeah man. It's a great idea - Not sure if there are any others like it. It was where I got referred after a few unsuccessful ortho attempts at Steadman. Their elevator door has a super ripped track athlete with a prosthetic blade for her foot. In a literal ortho sense, try to preserve my limb. Last stop in the road. Or see if they make a carbon blade in my BSL. Given the prospects, I figured hey, it was worth at least trying cutting out ibuprofen.

What did your kind of surgery mean, like keeping the blood going to a limb so it didn't die off?
    Yeah, I was a vascular surgeon--doing bypasses of blocked arteries to restore blood flow to the leg.
    There was a cool piece on 60 Minutes last night about Alex Smith and his recovery from severe leg fracture and necrotizing fasciitis. He was able to get special permission to go to the Center for the Intrepid military rehab center in San Antonio. Very impressive he can still play football, not so impressive that he has access to a DOD facility that other civilians don't have. Hopefully there was a very big donation to the center from Alex or his team, in which case it was worth it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Yup, I know, and it already is. We have a 9 yr old that we are taking into consideration as we plan for the future, and currently like raising him in Juneau. Still have eyes on returning to the desert in the 5-8 year future.
    I took a similar path as you. I lived in a different part of AK. In my early 40's I woke up and decided where I was living had changed and was not the Alaska I came to and wanted to raise my children. I could not of made a better choice in a place to raise my children. Living on the ocean especially Juneau will give your son opportunities that can be duplicated in very few places. I know living on the ocean and commercial fishing influenced my children in what I think was a positive way. As your son gets older I think your family will appreciate how having things like Auke Bay , the capitol and tourism in your community will offer great and unique opportunities for him to grow. But yea I ended up in south San Juans. very easy to go out and get at least 3hrs of exercise every day at altitude with no need to check the weather.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    There’s not good data supporting this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fair statement. No statistically significant correlation has been shown in comparison to placebo; however, it does appear to work for some people. Not a silver bullet, but definitely works for me and a lot of athletes I know. There are also no negative side effects so why not see for yourself if it helps?

"Exploratory analyses suggest that the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate may be effective in the subgroup of patients with moderate-to-severe knee pain. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00032890.)"
    Clegg, Daniel O., et al. "Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis." New England Journal of Medicine 354.8 (2006): 795-808.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Same here. I think it's a combination of decreased balance--the balance part of the inner ear deteriorates just like the hearing part--and slower reflexes. I don't think it's vision--I used to have slight double vision, even with prism in my glasses. Since I had that corrected my binocular vision is better which should improve depth perception. And one thing that has improved with age--my nearsightedness is much much better so I don't wear glasses anymore except to read. I've noticed that when my glasses are fogged up inside my goggles my vision is poor.
    Well as you age,most people start having issues with seeing in lower light, IE you can’t see at night like you used to, same issue for flat light, less light, less ability to distinguish features. My brother won’t drive at night anymore, says he can’t see well enough to be comfortable, despite car headlights being far more powerful than they used to be.

Yeah, I was a vascular surgeon--doing bypasses of blocked arteries to restore blood flow to the leg.
    There was a cool piece on 60 Minutes last night about Alex Smith and his recovery from severe leg fracture and necrotizing fasciitis. He was able to get special permission to go to the Center for the Intrepid military rehab center in San Antonio. Very impressive he can still play football, not so impressive that he has access to a DOD facility that other civilians don't have. Hopefully there was a very big donation to the center from Alex or his team, in which case it was worth it I guess.
    ESPN did a show on him too. After the surgeons cut away all the damage from the flesh eating bacteria,his tibia was exposed from his ankle to his knee.

The guy shouldn’t have a leg, let alone be able to walk or play NFL football.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Well as you age,most people start having issues with seeing in lower light, IE you can’t see at night like you used to, same issue for flat light, less light, less ability to distinguish features. My brother won’t drive at night anymore, says he can’t see well enough to be comfortable, despite car headlights being far more powerful than they used to be.
    There certainly are a number of visual problems with age besides far sightedness--the pupils react slower, the lens gets cloudy, we lose some of the rods that see light and dark. But I have problems even in shadowed areas on sunny days and switching to lighter lenses doesn't seem to help. But I guess it's probably all of the above.

Just got a percussion massage gun. Holy shit! Game changer! The prices are really reasonable now too. I've been getting traditional massage work for years, but obviously it's super expensive and not realistic for more than once a month or so. Plus I'm not really into being in a confined space right now with The Rona and all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Just got a percussion massage gun. Holy shit! Game changer! The prices are really reasonable now too. I've been getting traditional massage work for years, but obviously it's super expensive and not realistic for more than once a month or so. Plus I'm not really into being in a confined space right now with The Rona and all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    A masseuse used a Theragun on me a while back. I bought an Opove soon after, amazing.

I only just now noticed this thread. There’s little here I haven’t experienced. My suggestion from an advanced age is...suck it up princesses.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

But seriously, vibes.

I'd shitcan the tv before I would give up the hottub

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Something I heard from a physical therapy guru that resonated for me was to be conscious about how our Western culture inundates you with options to make life easier by taking away the need to exert yourself or be flexible. Elevator vs Stairs is an obvious example, but in day to day life there are many others. SUVs with auto opening rear doors. Ebikes. Etc etc.

The point is that if you’re one of those highly disciplined folks who does an hour of yoga and a bike ride every day, great, but for people who can’t pull that off, the everyday ‘occupational therapy’ has a cumulative effect. Our mud room intentionally has no chair, so putting on / taking off boots remains a one legged balance and flexibility move lol.

Traveling in countries where 60 yr olds will squat down on the ground for hours without thinking about it vs layzboy recliners with a power assist to get you up on your feet when Fox News is finished kinda brings the point home.
    Hell, just walking. Nobody walks anymore. Car to work, car to shop. When I stopped working in NYC, I stopped walking. Probably walked a few miles a day back then. Walk to station, Grand Central to work and back, and just walking around the hood. It's why New Yorkers are relatively healthy compared to most. Our bodies were designed to walk a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I only just now noticed this thread. There’s little here I haven’t experienced. My suggestion from an advanced age is...suck it up princesses.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

But seriously, vibes.
    Totally, what a bunch of pussies!

But seriously, I'm working through this now. It's been a painful two weeks but I'm almost there.

Minor setback.

As far as slowing WAY down as some mentioned.........I don't think I can do that. Not yet anyways. I'm a lifer, an addict and I don't think I can live without it at some level.

Yoga? No thanks. That stuff is way too Woo for me. Stretching though, yeah I need more of that. Other than that I'll stick with consuming whiskey and the blood of virgins and hope for the best.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Something I heard from a physical therapy guru that resonated for me was to be conscious about how our Western culture inundates you with options to make life easier by taking away the need to exert yourself or be flexible. Elevator vs Stairs is an obvious example, but in day to day life there are many others. SUVs with auto opening rear doors. Ebikes. Etc etc.

The point is that if you’re one of those highly disciplined folks who does an hour of yoga and a bike ride every day, great, but for people who can’t pull that off, the everyday ‘occupational therapy’ has a cumulative effect. Our mud room intentionally has no chair, so putting on / taking off boots remains a one legged balance and flexibility move lol.

Traveling in countries where 60 yr olds will squat down on the ground for hours without thinking about it vs layzboy recliners with a power assist to get you up on your feet when Fox News is finished kinda brings the point home.
    There are tons of opportunities to incorporate nano workouts into your daily life. Need to pick up something off the floor? Either do a full squat or a straight-leg bend from the waist instead of the typical half-bend/half squat garbage move most people do. Got stairs in your house? Run up them two at a time, every time. Going to the store? Park at the far end of the lot and jog to the door. Do balance exercises while watching TV. Once you start looking for things like this you'll see them everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    ESPN did a show on him too. After the surgeons cut away all the damage from the flesh eating bacteria,his tibia was exposed from his ankle to his knee.

The guy shouldn’t have a leg, let alone be able to walk or play NFL football.
    I'll have to check that out. Big wave surfer Mark Matthews had a similar injury that nearly cost him his leg (full knee dislocation that severed his artery, bilateral fasciotomy, major nerve damage). There's a pretty good film about his recovery called The Other Side of Fear that's available free on Red Bull TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Vise View Post
    Fair statement. No statistically significant correlation has been shown in comparison to placebo; however, it does appear to work for some people. Not a silver bullet, but definitely works for me and a lot of athletes I know. There are also no negative side effects so why not see for yourself if it helps?

"Exploratory analyses suggest that the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate may be effective in the subgroup of patients with moderate-to-severe knee pain. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00032890.)"
    Clegg, Daniel O., et al. "Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis." New England Journal of Medicine 354.8 (2006): 795-808.

Any evidence that prophylactic use can prevent or delay developing osteoarthritis in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    As far as slowing WAY down as some mentioned.........I don't think I can do that. Not yet anyways. I'm a lifer, an addict and I don't think I can live without it at some level.

Yoga? No thanks. That stuff is way too Woo for me. Stretching though, yeah I need more of that. Other than that I'll stick with consuming whiskey and the blood of virgins and hope for the best.
    Taking 10% off will reduce your crash probability by at least 50%.

You can do yoga without getting into the woowoo shit. No woowoo with Kelly Starrett's stuff.

I mentioned David Sinclair earlier in the thread. He's a big believer in supplementation with nicotinamide riboside or nicotinamide mononucleotide. Once I hit 40 I'm probably going to start taking it. It's not cheap but not super expensive either, and certainly a lot less expensive than chronic disease. He's also a big believer in prophylactic use of metformin.

RazingArizona,

I think you are doing yourself a disservice by ruling out yoga. While there are some "woowoo" aspects of yoga it does a great job at stretching, balance, and strengthening the whole body in a way that a less focused stretching regimen does not address. As a desk jockey rapidly approaching 40 yoga has been great for me to counteract the seat time and helping improve lingering injuries from skiing/biking/kayaking as well as my double ACL reconstruction. It's easy to compensate for injuries by leaning on other parts of ones body but that leads to a host of other issues. Yoga really lays bare a lot of those compensations and helps strengthen those hidden weaknesses. If anyone has access to peloton classes I have been really enjoying Aditi's yoga classes. Her 45 minute intermediate yoga flow classes have been working wonders for me, all in the comfort of your own home with minimal equipment.

No yoga pants after 45 please.

Well, you’re not going to like Santa Fe.

Or did you mean 45 kilos?

Naked yoga more your thing eh.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

OG, You probably don't want to go our local fun DH race to see old men in DH suits

but aches and pains and being 45, IME the aches and pains started at about < 30

from there for the next 30 yars is a series of injuries and phases, along the way visits to the PT/ chiro/ acupuncture/ orthopedic surgeon/ RMT/

I probably hurt less now than i did at 45 cuz i have some shit worked out

i think if you haven't figured out how to stabilize/ deal with your weight by 50 you are more likely TO be overweight & out of shape cuz the 2 go hand in hand

but every time I get injured I wonder if this is it ... is this the last time ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You know that yoga is largely just stretching?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    You know that yoga is largely just stretching?
    Mindful stretching AND relaxing of muscles

i forgot to put Yoga in that list which was not very fucking mindful eh

but Yoga does work and its very surprising how little Yoga will have a big effect

It works a lot. Besides, I like women, not girls.

Yoga is just a way for grifters to get people to pay for stretching.

But yoga pants and their acceptance as allowable clothing pretty much everywhere has been such a win for society I say let them grift. Nothing is free after all.
    Live Free or Die

Just to be clear i do Yoga but I don't wear yoga pants

I don't know where you guys been looking but IME there is lots of fine looking yoga pants on > 45 yr old wimmen

I have to ask if you guys have been looking in the P-lot at walmart ?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    But yoga pants and their acceptance as allowable clothing pretty much everywhere has been such a win for society
    For once, we're in complete agreement. What a time to be alive.