Page 108 of 197 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 4901
    Ebike might be the optimal SHTF transport.
    watch out for snakes

Added a bag for the battery, much friendlier than in a pack and a rack for stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Took some similar pics after a run to the liquor store yesterday. I have the same bag from Lunacycle. Blew out the zipper right away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1518.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	321017

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Took some similar pics after a run to the liquor store yesterday. I have the same bag from Lunacycle. Blew out the zipper right away.

Name:	IMG-1518.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	321017
    Hell ya! I hope I don't have any zipper issues.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Hell ya! I hope I don't have any zipper issues.

Zipper problem was mostly because the battery barely fits, and the bag didn't fit in my frame as well as yours looks like it does. I'll probably just sew it up with a shoestring.

The things hauls ass.

Took mine for a ride around my neighborhood. I've lived here for 24 years and never rode off the top of my hill but there's hardly any traffic now. Biggest takeaway is I need to set up another set of wheels with street tires so I can do this more often. My daughter and I banged out a fast 5 miles, we were buzzing when we got home, and barely scratched the surface of what's available. The hill climbing is insane, I over torqued it and the motor shut off a few times. I don't think I'd enjoy it without the motor but my kid hammered it with a 39-28 and loved it. Fuckin' wacky 21 year olds...

Seems I'll soon have $1k to spend for my electric bike. I connect to 1000 miles of rail to trail and old logging road out the back door. Comfort in the seat is more important than aggressive stump jumping or rock crawling on the pegs stance. Top speed not important but I'd want to go by twisting the throttle only if I wanted. A bit of suspension would be nice.

What bike for my? Responses with questions that I didn't know to ask will have more cred.

Name:	schwinn.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	321078
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Seems I'll soon have $1k to spend for my electric bike. I connect to 1000 miles of rail to trail and old logging road out the back door. Comfort in the seat is more important than aggressive stump jumping or rock crawling on the pegs stance. Top speed not important but I'd want to go by twisting the throttle only if I wanted. A bit of suspension would be nice.

What bike for my? Responses with questions that I didn't know to ask will have more cred.

Name:	schwinn.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	321078
    Sorry, I saw this yesterday and wanted to reply but the world is kinda blowin' up and I forgot. So, be careful if you think $1k is enough to get something that's actually good. Under ~$1500 everything is questionable. That said things may be different in a week when stores are desperate for cash to pay their people. How rough are those logging roads? They can range up to class 4 which means something more mountain oriented rather than bike path/old man hybrid and puts you in a different kind of bike entirely.

Anybody know a good bike rack for a heavy ebike? I have a friend who just bought a Trek; it’s 50#. She’s 95# soaking wet, and can’t lift it onto a normal rack. Anything out there with a ramp? Motorcycle rack? Ideas?

What kind of vehicle? 2" or 1.25" hitch?

2”, newer 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Sorry, I saw this yesterday and wanted to reply but the world is kinda blowin' up and I forgot. So, be careful if you think $1k is enough to get something that's actually good. Under ~$1500 everything is questionable. That said things may be different in a week when stores are desperate for cash to pay their people. How rough are those logging roads? They can range up to class 4 which means something more mountain oriented rather than bike path/old man hybrid and puts you in a different kind of bike entirely.
    No rush. I'm not going far. Funny timing. Just got off the phone with my 80 y o pal and talked about our first trail ride. Me 250 yammie twin with up pipes and him on a stock 250 Triumph. He said he remembers seeing me flying over the bars as I learned that double leading edge front brakes were not a hot dirt setup. Few years and better bikes later we both ran a national enduro. Poorly, but we ran it. I have some two wheel and wrench skills. And I know I'm out of practice with some of the skills I had.

Anyway, My legs are weak (PAD I can ski 4 hard turns and then rubber legs. ) so an electric is more a necessity. Good news is I live on a gazillion miles of dirt roads to explore and 3 months of sunshine coming.

Buying used? Mechanicals I can handle. What do you look for or look to avoid in the electrics?

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Anybody know a good bike rack for a heavy ebike? I have a friend who just bought a Trek; it’s 50#. She’s 95# soaking wet, and can’t lift it onto a normal rack. Anything out there with a ramp? Motorcycle rack? Ideas?
    I seem to remember a thread on one of the eMTB forums were people were rigging ramps that let you roll the bike up the side. Wouldn’t work with a 1up, but should be a go with all the arm style tray racks as long as the tray continues full width.

Edit: here’s one -> https://www.rei.com/product/162215/k...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    2”, newer 4Runner.
    Her biggest problem is going to be how high the rack is, probably well above her waist so anything is going to be awkward at best. That ramp for the Kuat is probably her best solution. The other thing is most of the racks that can handle a couple of e-bikes are going to weigh 50-60 pounds and are challenging to get into the vehicle without help because they're just bulky. If that Kuat can handle the weight then get it and don't look back. She may be able to take the battery off and get the weight down another 5-10 pounds which should bring it into range for most racks that aren't e-bike specific.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    No rush. I'm not going far. Funny timing. Just got off the phone with my 80 y o pal and talked about our first trail ride. Me 250 yammie twin with up pipes and him on a stock 250 Triumph. He said he remembers seeing me flying over the bars as I learned that double leading edge front brakes were not a hot dirt setup. Few years and better bikes later we both ran a national enduro. Poorly, but we ran it. I have some two wheel and wrench skills. And I know I'm out of practice with some of the skills I had.

Anyway, My legs are weak (PAD I can ski 4 hard turns and then rubber legs. ) so an electric is more a necessity. Good news is I live on a gazillion miles of dirt roads to explore and 3 months of sunshine coming.

Buying used? Mechanicals I can handle. What do you look for or look to avoid in the electrics?
    re: electronics - Most of the better motor companies have well thought out controllers and reliable electronics. Shimano, Bosch, Yamaha and Brose all have easy diagnostics with a unit that plugs in like an OBDII reader for cars so issues can be traced and solved quickly. A red flag might be a poorly bundled wiring harness and if things look like an afterthought slapped onto a random open source frame. A lot of what seems like expensive e-bikes have lower level components, this isn't necessarily a bad thing because those tend to be bombproof and less expensive to service. Be careful of things like a low end fork because they really can't take the abuse the heavier, powered bike will deliver and if it's a mid drive the rear wheel needs to be burlier to handle the torque loads. I expect you to want a mid drive bike for the torque they can deliver, if you're going to need to roll with the throttle only you need a torquier bike because... hills. This will bring the price into the next category, probably bumping you over $2k.

I think that if you wait two or three weeks you're going to see some incredible deals on demo bikes and even brand new floor units from shops. I'm starting to hear the early horror stories and seeing shops on their very last legs as things slow down and people can't go to work anymore. As terrible as it sounds I think there will be some good bottom feeding in the pretty near future. Stick with bikes from the legacy brands rather than new, will they still be in business in two years, e-bike only companies that are all over the internet. Giant, Trek, Specklized and a few others have some really nice bikes skewed towards the off road side of things which is what you really need.

This thing looks amazing! So many features. Single pivot, no problem it has a motor. No word on an extendable range battery adapter. If it has that it hits all the marks. 38.5lbs!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Looks great! But I wonder if their investors are still on board...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Would a motor like that fit into my Schwinn? Maybe I should build my own config. Be great sub for the Jeep to go into town. Or 30 miles up the R2T to see the grand kids.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Looks great! But I wonder if their investors are still on board...
    Good question. Itd be a shame to shelve it now. 7 or 8 months til its released. They might as well wait til the new year

BTW. Not trollin. Expressing real thoughts and needs. ADD aided. I've turned a lot of wrenches since my first build attempt. I tried to make a tandem from two singles. Found out connecting flattened frame tubes with 1/4" bolts wouldn't cut it. 15 y o and in love with a girl.

I do lean towards the motor at the crank option. I need to research that.

Mid drive is the way to go. I like my shimano motor. Very intuitive. I think i have a problem with my battery though. Yt battery. If you get a bike w a shimano motor make sure it has a shimano battery. Shimano are well supported and back their shit up. They only have a 500w battery and the motors arent rebuildable though. 2 yr warrantee. Im looking at bikes with the bosch cx gen 4 motor. It can have a 625w battery. Motor has lots of tourque. Its rebuildable, 2 yr warrantee. If you have to warrantee your motor, the new one comes with a 2 year warrantee. Well sealed and ive heard they are the most dependable by a long shot

I didn't know the S motor can't be rebuilt. Hmm, is there another motor that fits where that mounts so if/when it goes bad something else can be put in there? I figure there's no way S will have a second gen motor that fits the current frames. I hate to think that my bike will need to be retired if the motor goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I didn't know the S motor can't be rebuilt. Hmm, is there another motor that fits where that mounts so if/when it goes bad something else can be put in there? I figure there's no way S will have a second gen motor that fits the current frames. I hate to think that my bike will need to be retired if the motor goes south.
    Hopefully yiurs goes a week before the 2 year purchase date, then you get a new one for a couple more years for a 4 year total. Rumours out there that their new motor will be released soon and also rumours that it will fit the existing bolt pattern. Educated guesses but still just guesses. I think the guesses are based on the release of bikes with e8000 this year and the new one is supposed to be released soon. Theyre guessing some companies will have running changes in motors this year. 1/2 year model type thing.. Hopefully some day theres standard bolt pattern like current chain guides are mostly iscg.

Well that would be the ticket, new for old... Hey $2 can we program it to self destruct at just the right moment? Actually I wonder what a new motor would cost or if it would even be worth it.

Could be a good plan. I cant remember how much a new one is ? 6 or 800 , something like that. Either be reasonable if you got 4 years out of it id think. Like a new derailleur/year price wise. Not bad but makes the bosch seem that much better. Wouldnt have to start rebuilding those until 3 or 4 years minimum and you can get all the parts and watch a youtube video to do it

This guy is good. He figures them all out first and then sources parts or gets them fabbed. He sells all the parts and makes vids for bosch, yamaha, and brose. He tdied the e7000 and e8000. Bearings are buried behind a wireboard making them near impossible to get to without wrecking the wireboards.