Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Littleton, NH

PM me if you want to discuss offline. I retire in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I can't stay quiet on this statement. As R3 stated, this is the place for high taxes and liberal politics. Upon registering my vehicle in the state for a car I had paid sales tax on new, I had the honor of being taxed again at it's blue book which was higher than what I could have sold it for at the time. Registering my next car, even with a sales receipt, I was taxed at blue book. Maybe this has changed.

Placing your land in "current use " to avoid taxes, requires more than 25 acres and either engaged in farming or have an established logging plan. This generally benefits large land holders. Not necessarily cash rich.

There is a process for contesting property tax assessments, but in my experience the town ignored the law and set legal precedent, that is the most accurate value of a property is a recent sale. They still assessed me 20k above my purchase price in a flat market. They refused to consider home condition saying that falls under maintenance and does not affect home value. Really??? Old leaky windows don't affect the value???

They know most people won't retain a lawyer to fight for there rights over a few thousand dollars of unjust taxes. The schools here are decent and school taxes are very high.

It's a great place to live with lots of good people, but by no means is it inexpensive when you compare cost of living vs the state's median income of about 35K per person. Pensions are taxed as well.

Bushwacka, I hope it's just my sarcasm meter needs an adjustment and you are not really serious about taxes. We put up with it because we love where we live. If you have acquired wealth, it's not a bad place to relocate. Please don't move here if you want this place changed to how it is where you came from. Inevitable, sigh.
    Oh I feel you on the Tax on registering a vehicle. but I thought if you paid tax when new you just had to pay the actual reg fee? When I sold cars in PA i knew those laws better and I am rich dirt bag who prefer old rust buckets simply because of their cheapness and less reg taxes

As for in use I was well aware of the limitation as currently have our land in use in Northern Vermont I have been a land owner here since 2015. In my case the land is a way to make money so its a win win. With the tax break and our meager farm sales its easily a 40k swing per year.

its also typically 30 acres because the house and the land around the house typically take up certain amount of space.

Any opinions on claremont? Seems close to great skiing, mtn biking...town looks somewhat cool.

Hmmmm. The more I read, not looking good.
    Last edited by cinnepa; 01-12-2022 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Any opinions on claremont? Seems close to great skiing, mtn biking...town looks somewhat cool.

Hmmmm. The more I read, not looking good.
    Maybe they'll fire up the incinerator for you.

^^about right

We got head-on-ed by a lumber truck in Claremeont when I was a kid. FWIW.

Sleet turned to snow. Truck was fully loaded and hauling ass and slid across the center line. Still have an image in my head of the truck's grill through the windshield about a milisecond before it crushed us. Amazing no one died.

Right here:https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2893...7i13312!8i6656

But yeah, cool little town.

Ascutney has some great MTB. The community just put in a T-bar for skiing (https://www.ascutneyoutdoors.org).

The last time I was in Claremont, I saw some signs of revitalization in the restored mill buildings. Hope it continues. We moved away in the late eighties.

Hasn't been the same since the Tampax factory closed.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Claremont also has the highest tax rate in NH at 40.98 per thousand, so keep that in mind when comparing to other areas. I stayed at a friend's uncles there once. Excellent basement, would sleep there again.

Claremont has some good trails in town but is pretty run down. I'm never able to correctly navigate the traffic circles in town when I drive through and always end up on the wrong street.

Thanks all....trying to look at the west side of the state....close to VT, and a good high school.

Thanks all....trying to look at the west side of the state....close to VT, and a good high school.
    You could always just live in VT.

I just moved to the Upper Valley and I've really enjoyed it. There are several towns, both in NH and VT with school choice that opens the door to Hanover High.
    Live Free or Die

Whoa, you left Jackson?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We spent a few days in Littleton over Thanksgiving to get a feel for the place for a possible future move (closer to fam). Looked at a handful of lots. Kinda dug it. Worry a little about school size for kids. Anyone ridden the PRKR trails there?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You could always just live in VT.
    if they didn't tax pensions.

if they didn't tax pensions.
    You have kids in high school and you're living on a pension? Oof.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Whoa, you left Jackson?
    I did. I'm pretty surprised about it even myself but kids change the perspective on a lot of things and it has changed a lot in the 15+ years I was there and time for a new chapter.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You have kids in high school and you're living on a pension? Oof.
    1 kid...married at 40.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I just moved to the Upper Valley and I've really enjoyed it. There are several towns, both in NH and VT with school choice that opens the door to Hanover High.
    Yeah, this is a really awesome thing about some towns in NH - you can get access to a better high school if you pay a bit more, which is usually more than offset by how much cheaper taxes+houses are in those smaller spots. My area has the same deal with Barrington for Middle and High school.

^^where you located?

^^where you located?
    Right by UNH in the oyster river district. House prices are bonkers here though

honestly, not sure if it's the times but the prices seem bonkers throughout the state these days.

Throughout the "states". It's asinine.

It's too bad we can't discuss over a beer because I went through this exercise the last 2 years. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. Currently taking a pit stop in Minnesota working my way east.