Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Skate skiing is stupid

Seriously though...its damn hard. Makes me feel like a newborn deer, all wobbling about. Plus I get super sweaty. Gross. And don't even get me started on the super tight clothing....
    WTB skate skis w/ NNN bindings and poles suitable for 6'2" 180 lbs. maybe 190 skis, 170 poles? At least that's what i've borrowed when I went out and flailed a few times.
    or just prey for every day to be a pow day, so I don't regret not having my own.

When you’re a beginner skate skier as soon as you stop exerting 100% redline max effort you immediately cease to be moving forward. And then it takes another 1000 calories to get yourself back into any sort of rhythm.

My wife skate skis circles around me. When I’m done she tells me to wait in the car so she can go get a real ski in.

I don’t have skis to sell. Just wanted to vent in this safe space.

Most Nordic areas still have classic tracks.

Stop torturing yourself.
    . . .

I’ve got waxless kick and glide skis for sale that would work for you.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Meh...skate skiing is a redic workout. My wife skates circles around me too, but damn it's hard to beat. Literally like 20 minutes is all I can handle. But I'm replying because I might actually have a pair for sale (father in law doesn't skate hardly at all and has a basically new set).

More soon.

Yep, very hard...key is what will look like a boring place, flat as a board.

Tip told to me was: knees, nose, toes

It means to keep vertical alignment in those 3 areas. Especially as you push off and go to the glide phase.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I’ve had luck here in the past, either in classifieds or in the ads of the site sponsors. Always a ski swap going on somewhere. It’s a great sport.

https://www.skinnyski.com

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by eshed View Post
    Seriously though...its damn hard. Makes me feel like a newborn deer, all wobbling about. Plus I get super sweaty. Gross. And don't even get me started on the super tight clothing....
    WTB skate skis w/ NNN bindings and poles suitable for 6'2" 180 lbs. maybe 190 skis, 170 poles? At least that's what i've borrowed when I went out and flailed a few times.
    or just prey for every day to be a pow day, so I don't regret not having my own.
    Getting super sweaty during outdoor pursuits is gross? That's a weird statement since it's part of the deal for most. Are you sure you don't just want some potato chips, beer, and a lazy boy?

I may have a setup that would work for you, I need to check the lengths. Where are you located?

I have skis and poles that would be good for you also, same question, where are you located. BTW, 170 poles are too short, you'll want 175 or 180. I'm your same height and weight, go back and forth between those two lengths. Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I may have a setup that would work for you, I need to check the lengths. Where are you located?
    I'm close to telluride.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The ultimate Type 3 "fun". I grew up playing hockey and rowed competitively so I figured I'd be capable of skating and pushing through fatigue yet I still get passed with ease by old ladies on 20 year old gear who look like they're on autopilot

Once eshed gets hooked up I'm also in the market for some skis with SNS bindings and poles. Same height/weight - I usually ski a relatively stiff 190 and located in CO
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

This is such a weird thing that every time someone posts about skate skiing, people post that women are faster than them. WTF? The best men are faster than the best women, etc. just like in every other sport. Statistically, the longer the length of the activity, the margin, by percentage, will have women closing the gap, but so what?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This is such a weird thing that every time someone posts about skate skiing, people post that women are faster than them. WTF? The best men are faster than the best women, etc. just like in every other sport. Statistically, the longer the length of the activity, the margin, by percentage, will have women closing the gap, but so what?
    My lovely wife also kicks my ass. It's not close. So I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My lovely wife also kicks my ass. It's not close. So I don't know what to tell you.
    The only time my wife and her female friends are close to us in speed are on days when it's just soft enough where I and my male friends sink, and the women stay on top, (of the snow).
    Last part added, since it's TRG.
    They're still not faster, though.

Add me to the list of those who get their ass kicked by their wife. Turns out technique and actually having instruction/skills beats my hack attempts at learning w/o lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    no one said "all women are faster than men when it comes to skate skiing". What's weird here is that you responded that way and with that degree of intensity.

I'm intense.

try more fiber in your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Are you sure you don't just want some potato chips, beer, and a lazy boy?
    I want all those things.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I want all those things.
    I hear ya!

I’ll check my ski and pole size and try to post up tomorrow. I have boots too. Stuff is a few years old but basically zero use. Seems shipping would be pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So, if I'm wanting to get into nordorking to get some zone 2 exercise outside mid-week to prep for bike season, are you saying I should go for classic gear instead?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Diagonal/classic is stupid. But if you don’t have 24/7 great skate grooming nearby, yes.