View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Clearly the USA can't figure out how to follow doctor's orders. The UK, Australia, and several other countries appear to be in the same situation. We are only 4-5 months away from the start of the 2020-2021 ski season and we aren't even close to having this under control.

So, it's time to do what we do best - conjecture and share bald faced assertions. Is the 20/21 season over before it ever got started?

I have yet to buy a pass. Starting to look like money well saved.

Bought some Big Sky passes, steerage class not dentist class. Don't think we'll be using them, people are stupid.

Canada should be able to salvage some sort of ski season.

The way I see it, if this thing is spreading so fast at the height of summer in our hottest states, with all sorts of outdoor activities and dining available, we're pretty much doomed this winter, especially after Thanksgiving, when all the college kids come home to silently kill their grandparents.

I'm waiting to the last minute to buy Ikon, but, it looks bad. This sucks.

I bought passes. Figure I’ll use them 21-22

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I bought a Whistler 5 day Edge Card. At this point it's not clear when I'll be able to enter Canada. Looking doubtful by the end of the year.

I think there will be a ski season of some sort. Not sure what it's going to look like. We might all be fighting for daily reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    We might all be fighting for daily reservations.
    This was the case with the brief Abasin reopening. And most golf courses.

I'm buying a pass, but I also had two weeks worth of hut trips in BC booked for the upcoming winter.

One week is still on, if I can get into Canada, and I got bumped from my second trip because the operation decided that even if the border re-opens, they won't be hosting any American guests during the 20-21 season. Personally, I'm preparing to not go on either trip, since I think it's a pipe dream to expect the border to re-open for nonessential travel until there is an effective and widely available vaccine.

Hoping the lifts spin, but who the fuck knows.

I'm still keeping the faith. Bought my $350 local ski area pass. I know they'll make an honest effort to open if the Governor lets them. A widely disseminated vaccine sure would be nice right? I mean, we don't really need a mid October opening like normal but open by Xmas would suffice.

Really, I only need one lift to spin in my little world. If it doesn't I've got skins and it might be the year I get a snowmobile.

The big resorts will have a much harder time. Little guys around here can still get away with a skeleton crew and sell to day trippers from Denver.

Lodging is going to be a bitch, large cleaning crews and lots of lysol.

F&B might be primarily outdoors so bring a puffy! There's gonna be some ruffing it old school style. I welcome it with open arms. I'll be cooking hot dogs and drinking beer in a down jacket in the lot.

Our local resorts are open now, lifts/gondolas are spinning, food service is happening, attractions are open, etc. Hopefully winter will be the same. Only time will tell.

Full steam ahead...just don't know whether it will be hiking for turns, sledding for turns or riding lifts.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Bought my Mt Bachelor pass last week to get lowest rate. Can get a full refund for any reason before 11/20. They are also offering a prorated rebate if closed for more 7 consecutive days or 30 total days due to Covfefe.

But yea, the fighting for reservations part is the elephant...

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Full steam ahead...just don't know whether it will be hiking for turns, sledding for turns off riding lifts.
    ^^^^^truth^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    This was the case with the brief Abasin reopening. And most golf courses.
    Same at the Oregon resorts that reopened in May. All the spots sold out as soon as reservations opened each day.

I purchased a season pass that includes a base Ikon in the hope that a miracle will happen.
    However I am becoming increasingly pessimistic on the prospects of a normal ski season happening this coming winter and will, in all likelihood, request a refund by mid October.

Still to soon to vote definitively but I believe a "normal" ski season is hosed.

Not sure about other states, but gondolas and lifts are spinning now. Obviously lower capacity, but no reservations required as of now. Even on 4th of July weekend.

Abasin was the only resort open in the state at the time they required reservations. Everything was very new at that point. This will be 9 months in (assuming December) and we will (hopefully) know far more about avoiding transmission. Basically, wear a mask, and don't lick the chairlift.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I bought passes. Figure I’ll use them 21-22

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ditto. I essential gave alterra an $800 interest-free loan.

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Same at the Oregon resorts that reopened in May. All the spots sold out as soon as reservations opened each day.
    Reservations system was shut down weeks ago.
    According to the website: Use your skis to create 6’ spacing in the ticket line, and throw down your $75. (Does anyone here still use nasty, dirty Cash?)

“Lift lines will be managed with 6’ social distancing. Skiers and riders will be required to wear glasses or goggles, masks and gloves. You may ride the chairlifts with those you came with, ride single or ride double on opposite sides of the chair. It will be the guests’ responsibility to ride the chairlift however they feel comfortable. Simply notify the lift attendant of your intentions and Timberline will accommodate.”

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Reservations system was shut down weeks ago.
    According to the website: Use your skis to create 6’ spacing in the ticket line, and throw down your $75. (Does anyone here still use nasty, dirty Cash?)

“Lift lines will be managed with 6’ social distancing. Skiers and riders will be required to wear glasses or goggles, masks and gloves. You may ride the chairlifts with those you came with, ride single or ride double on opposite sides of the chair. It will be the guests’ responsibility to ride the chairlift however they feel comfortable. Simply notify the lift attendant of your intentions and Timberline will accommodate.”
    But will the summer methods work in winter? That's the big question to me.

I put the over under on the first assault at the first pow day where some single claims Covid fear and tries to ride a quad chair by themselves. No way that flies in Jackson.

I ultimately think by the winter, ski resorts and other businesses are going to revert to a "come if you want and you know the risks" type of operation. Everything else is a giant clusterfuck to try and manage, whether it be expectations, liability or whatever.
    Live Free or Die

Major resorts are setup to handle 10,000+ people a day, with 25,000+ occurring regularly at places like Vail & Breck. I don't see a scenario where gatherings of that size (I know people spread out on the mountain, but they have to filter through a few access points) happen. I expect reservations, lift ticket caps, timed access, or some combination of the above. The smaller ski areas should do much better, especially those that do not rely on lodging revenue. I'd bet Silverton guided will fill up faster than ever.

Baby HGC arrives around Halloween, so I was expecting a lower quantity year anyway. Holding off on IKON until fall, but leaning towards rolling the cost into a Steamboat Powdercat day and sticking with touring.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 07-13-2020 at 09:30 AM.

But will the summer methods work in winter? That's the big question to me.
    I'll tell ya, I skied at Beartooth Basin in June and my observation was that as soon as skiers get on the hill, social distancing kind of goes out the window. They had a requirement that everybody wear buffs, but it was warm, so literally NOBODY was wearing them. In liftlines people were standing closer than 6 feet because there really wasn't room for more distance. And everybody is in a festive, carefree, happy mood because they are skiing, so it's natural to not want to think about virus bullshit and just do what we've always done. Bottom line is I think it's going to be really tough to enforce social distancing in that environment. At the same time, the environment itself is not a particularly risky one, being outdoors on a mountain. But I'm not riding a chairlift with any strangers, that much I can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I put the over under on the first assault at the first pow day where some single claims Covid fear and tries to ride a quad chair by themselves. No way that flies in Jackson.
    I think it's reasonable to pair up singles on a quad. Demanding to ride by yourself would just be a dick move.

Snowbird is offering a full refund before Dec 31st, so I'm in. Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Snowbird is offering a full refund before Dec 31st, so I'm in. Hoping for the best.
    The refund cut-off is December 1st, not 31st.