Page 1618 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 ... LastLast
Results 40,426 to 40,450 of 46281
    Oi, Silicone caulk on painted surfaces.

Most probably won't relate, but any of you who do your own work, or do finish construction work may feel this one.

Some dumbass used Silicone caulk at the facility where I work maintenance- Top and bottom edge of the cove base around 80% or more of the building.

Painting walls with Silicone all along the baseboard is a flippin' nightmare.

3 options
    >best is to remove all the silicone caulk b4 proceeding with work
    (that's the route I choose usually-and what I am doing today)

>option 2 >caulk on top with paintable caulk- a clear adhesive caulk may actually hold, but its a gamble and it would be best to let it cure overnight b4 proceeding

>option 3 >Spray the caulk line with hairspray.. pretty cheesy technique that should last for a few days till the check clears. I don't really approve of option 3.

If you're not changing colors you can get away with taping off the wall above the Silicone line and blending the new finish with the old, down there. Tape wont stick to Silicone so a crisp line at the base is not gonna happen. Not taping is a bad idea. Paint spatter all over your base.

*if stuck with this problem and wanna remove the Silicone>use a fresh razor blade and plane it off. Pray your technique is sound, and the wall does not gouge. Better have a steady hand or the base will get scratched badly. 3M pads may work ,but those are better on surfaces like tile. Careful=razor blade sharp!
    This can take a shitload of time ,and hence why painters use other tactics sometimes, like option 2 and 3.

Lost power Friday night. Comes back on at 3 yesterday afternoon. Watch a tree on the line start smoking and catch fire. Tried calling power company, fire department, neighbor eventually calls 911. Nobody comes, transformer blows. Powers back out, I think it’s going to be a while.

Baseboard should never be caulked on the bottom edge, with anything. So I would remove it from there and clean it off. On the top edge where it meets the wall a quick swipe with a dry brush of oil primer like Zinnser will bond to the silicone and allow you to paint latex on top of it.

Yeah it is a pain to deal with.

World Cup anything annoys the shit out of me. This cannot end quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    OK. Well there's *always* plenty of basketball, baseball, and american football on every channel all the time...or just watch cars with adverts driving around, and around in a circle.
    No, none of that is boring...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Baseboard should never be caulked on the bottom edge, with anything. So I would remove it from there and clean it off. On the top edge where it meets the wall a quick swipe with a dry brush of oil primer like Zinnser will bond to the silicone and allow you to paint latex on top of it.

Yeah it is a pain to deal with.
    yea...contractors who did the initial construction (years ago)caulked bottom edge to hide where their vinyl floor tiles came up short. Caulking the top edge of vinyl cove base was a serious rookie move too-no less with a non paintable caulk.

Can't use oil primer in hospital unless we closed down that wing. Love that oil based cover stain spray can though when I can use it.

I can recommend a great product for Maggots>if you want waterproof caulk and are caulking to a painted surface.
    > Dap Kwik Seal clear adhesive caulk... used to be stock at home depot, but you have to order it on the website now.
    There are 2 types of this caulk line >1 of them is non paintable and still available in store shelves. Both Come in white too.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    No. Just pull away and drive conservatively for a mile or 2.
    Conservative driving is annoying.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Speaking of driving, we had our first real snow accumulation down to sea level this morning, with temps in 20s all day.

First thing I saw was some generic crossover suv on oem tires driving too fast while being tailgated by his doppelganger. As they headed down a small incline to a stop sign, the first feathered the brakes well enough to actually stop, but failed to check his six because the guy behind was doing all sorts of frenzied control inputs to not end up in his back seat. (and there was nobody to stop for!) Back guy did a last minute Hail Mary and ended up going around and sliding into the intersection sideways. GuaranfuckingT neither of them learned anything from the encounter.

Act deux: driving down one of the main east-west arterials, minivan guy slides through the stop sign from a crossing residential street (btw, why the fuck are you going so fast in a neighborhood? Last I heard, kids still play in the snow you fat fuck mouth breathing cretin) with all four wheels locked in the ABS dance. All he can muster is to stare at me bearing down on him in my 4500 lb truck. I widen slightly to the left and give him the 'you're number one!' salute, so I'm sure he thinks I'm the asshole.

Encore: I had to drive out to my parents' house which entails several miles of winding two lane road. Before I even got to that part, I see this {chef's kiss}
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyundaitrees.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	438885
    It's a straight road with no actual intersections

I miss the beautiful anarchy of snow in Bellingham. Or at least it felt that way to a college student 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    World Cup DH Mountains biking is potentially interesting, but I never actually watch it.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I miss the beautiful anarchy of snow in Bellingham. Or at least it felt that way to a college student 15 years ago.
    When I lived there we got a big snow storm. I, of course drove up to Baker and back in my 2wd Ford Ranger for a very nice pow day. I returned to go straight to work at 3pm, was worried about showing up straight from the mountain a little smelly and unkempt. Walked in to work and it was a ghost town, almost everyone else had called in saying they couldn't make it in due to the weather. This happened three days in a row, and I got a fat bonus check for being one of the few who kept the place running. I rode Baker all week and it was sick.

Avis rental in Bozeman - all you have for my "compact" rental is a Nissan Frontier 2wd with all-season tires? In Montana? In December? You fuckin' kidding me?

Bonus points to irritate the locals - it has CA plates.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Avis rental in Bozeman - all you have for my "compact" rental is a Nissan Frontier 2wd with all-season tires? In Montana? In December? You fuckin' kidding me?

"Yes, I would like to purchase the loss damage waiver for this rental."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That IS annoying. WTF is that even doing in their inventory? Do not accept it if it's not too late. They always try to pawn off their crap on people. Last time I rented from Avis was in ABQ when I was going to Santa Fe. I wanted a compact for good mpg (and had a reservation) and they told me all they had was a freaking Ram pickup or a big ass 15 passenger van. I said absolutely no way and pressed harder, and sure enough, they "magically" found a Corolla for me out on the lot. I went out there and they had PLENTY of compacts. Friggin shysters, those guys.

Just pray you don't get arrested someday for the stolen vehicle you successfully checked back in on time. You heard about those stories? It's nuts. A big lawsuit going down right now after hundreds of people have been arrested, sometimes sitting in jail for months, for cars they rented and turned in. WTF, rental car companies?!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    That IS annoying. WTF is that even doing in their inventory?
    Avis is going to get a raft of shit for this from me. I may go full-Karen if required. And I'm mainly going to focus on the point you made - this vehicle should not have even been *offered* as a rental in Bozeman this time of year.

oooh

a strongly worded email?

you go girl
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Avis is going to get a raft of shit for this from me. I may go full-Karen if required. And I'm mainly going to focus on the point you made - this vehicle should not have even been *offered* as a rental in Bozeman this time of year.
    Pro tip: While you're waiting on whatever dingleberry to not help you, get on your phone and check into making a reservation with every competitor in Bozeman. Once you find one, book it, then cancel your current one which should be easy enough for their blatant breach of contract.

Pro tip: While you're waiting on whatever dingleberry to not help you, get on your phone and check into making a reservation with every competitor in Bozeman. Once you find one, book it, then cancel your current one which should be easy enough for their blatant breach of contract.
    and then go pick up that car at Hertz, and find that while you thought you were reserving a Toyota Corolla, all they have on the lot is a 1 ton Dodge Dually RWD.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    and then go pick up that car at Hertz, and find that while you thought you were reserving a Toyota Corolla, all they have on the lot is a 1 ton Dodge Dually RWD.
    That's probably how it would have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Probably. Hahaha. Precisely why I don't cancel the first one til I've secured the second.

Renting can be such a shit show, huh?

Probably. Hahaha. Precisely why I don't cancel the first one til I've secured the second.

This is the first time I've ever had a problem with a rental... and it would have been *fine* had it even had a mediocre attempt to equip it for the environment it was being rented for. You know - a set of proper snow tires and a couple sand bags in the bed. Wouldn't take much.

This is the first time I've ever had a problem with a rental... and it would have been *fine* had it even had a mediocre attempt to equip it for the environment it was being rented for. You know - a set of proper snow tires and a couple sand bags in the bed. Wouldn't take much.
    only thing worse >if it came with a set of chains that didn't fit

People who drive at least 10 mph under the speed limit, brake on uphill corners, stay in the passing lane despite me flashing my lights until only then do you move over, and then proceed to go 10 mph over the speed limit in a passing zone. Fuck you.

Renting a car is the easiest thing in the world, until it's not.

Luckily I've never had a major issue, but I've certainly heard about plenty of problems from minor to things bordering on outright scams.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    People who drive at least 10 mph under the speed limit, brake on uphill corners, stay in the passing lane despite me flashing my lights until only then do you move over, and then proceed to go 10 mph over the speed limit in a passing zone. Fuck you.
    I saw this just yesterday on FB, speaks to that

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy