Page 61 of 134 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3328
    Quote Originally Posted by UpperDaze View Post
    Yeah I had this issue with my Shifts on my last tour with them (also only my 3rd day on them). You're talking about the lock out mechanism on the toe when touring correct? Mine wouldn't stay locked no matter what I did... just kept popping back down. Frustrating for sure. I assumed it was an icing issue. I checked them out at home and couldn't recreate the problem... will report back if it continues
    The toe lock is really stiff at first. Don't be afraid to get aggressive. There's one lock detent then another further lock detent/ . It works in over time

yes. toe lock, my shop tech says its already at last detent prematurely.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The toe lock is really stiff at first. Don't be afraid to get aggressive. There's one lock detent then another further lock detent/ . It works in over time
    I noticed that, too, but have been scared to try it. It'll lock in easily with no boot, but when there's a boot in, it's so hard to move that I'm afraid I'm gonna fuck it up. Will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by skimanguydude View Post
    The bindings sometimes make a cracking noise in the toe on bumps.
    Mine do that, too. Seems like it's on one side, too.
    Turn hard left, no noise
    Turn hard right, yes noise
    Swap left ski to right foot, no noise.

Someone said raise the AFD 1/2 turn. I haven't checked yet to see if that fixed it. Really seems like the AFD worm drive is indexed, but maybe not in small enough increments, or maybe it's only a problem when using downhill boots?

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Someone said raise the AFD 1/2 turn. I haven't checked yet to see if that fixed it. Really seems like the AFD worm drive is indexed, but maybe not in small enough increments, or maybe it's only a problem when using downhill boots?
    one of those someones was Alkasquawlik...others have followed suit, seems to be the rule of thumb. Make sure you see upward movement of the AFD and not just relying on the initial 1/2 turn.

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    one of those someones was Alkasquawlik...others have followed suit, seems to be the rule of thumb. Make sure you see upward movement of the AFD and not just relying on the initial 1/2 turn.
    That's what salomon said to do too I have a pdf of their fix.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Anyone run pivots and these in their quiver? I’ve been skiing pivot 18s set to 10 for quite a while now. Never had a release that I can remember or walked out of them. I’ve got my shifts set to 11 and have walked out twice and ejected during landings or in compressions 3 times. I guess I should bump the heels to 12, just haven’t skied there for a while and it makes me nervous. Anyone else have to run a higher setting with these?
    This identical. Pivots at 10/11, shifts at 10, then 11, 11.5 - just gonna move heels to 13. Several ejects where I kept skiing on 1 ski and my other ski parallel to me.

In the most recent instance, the heel was still locked in, like my boot heel just twisted out and didn't eject.

Forward pressure dialed. Should I move it further forward?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    This identical. Pivots at 10/11, shifts at 10, then 11, 11.5 - just gonna move heels to 13. Several ejects where I kept skiing on 1 ski and my other ski parallel to me.

In the most recent instance, the heel was still locked in, like my boot heel just twisted out and didn't eject.

For reference how big are you guys? I haven't had a release at all yet but I haven't had the opportunity to ski them that hard yet, but this worries me a little although it doesn't seem all that wide spread. This was my initial concern about the shifts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5’ 10” 175. Skiing them the same as I’d ski my pivots. Nothing crazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    This identical. Pivots at 10/11, shifts at 10, th
    en 11, 11.5 - just gonna move heels to 13. Several ejects where I kept skiing on 1 ski and my other ski parallel to me.

I’m going to end up bumping the heels to 12 or 13 now too. It’s getting to the point where I’m dialing back my skiing for fear of a release.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    I’m going to end up bumping the heels to 12 or 13 now too. It’s getting to the point where I’m dialing back my skiing for fear of a release.
    Speaking of, I also had a walk out double release on a 10 footer to powder. I didn't think too much of it at the time since it's only happened once, but now you have me worried. Running them at 9, but I run my Wardens at 8. There's just not as much damping with a lighter material and that could be a factor in release consistency - I'm no expert though. Gonna be putting 8 days on them on the Powder Highway in Feb as a one-ski quiver so hopefully the issue doesn't crop up again.

Ran my barons at 9, never had an issue.

I double ejected several times in deeper powder with shifts at 9. Dialed up to 9.5, which worked for a while until double ejected again today. Going to up the heel to 10, as front seems ok.

6’1, probably 190lbs with pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    For reference how big are you guys?
    5'9 145lbs. My pre-releases were on super mellow terrain on tiny airs that I landed very well, though in poor snow. I had Hawx Ultra XTD boots on. I'll have to play around with the AFD like others have suggested. Some of my buddies have experienced these issues too. However, I still prefer the binding to a pin one. But I'm not sure how people hit pyramid and the likes with it

Quote Originally Posted by skimanguydude View Post
    5'9 145lbs. My pre-releases were on super mellow terrain on tiny airs that I landed very well, though in poor snow. I had Hawx Ultra XTD boots on. I'll have to play around with the AFD like others have suggested. Some of my buddies have experienced these issues too. However, I still prefer the binding to a pin one. But I'm not sure how people hit pyramid and the likes with it
    Seeing these issues of pre-release a few times and I have to think there must be something going on with adjustments. I swear on my life I have never walked out of a pair since last year's models...with earlier proto's on the other hand, that's a different story...Anyways, I'd double check the forward pressure and make sure the line (the outdent) is flush in the cutout of the heel as well as doing what I do with with AFD and get it just touching and then a 1/4 more. Perhaps a little more DIN may help too...I'm rocking 13 and have zero issues with pre-releases.

This has been my thinking as well, and one other thing to check might be wear on the boot heel ledge.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-29-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    This has been my thinking as well, and one other thing to check might be wear on the boot heel ledge.

... Thom
    I definitely have wear on the boot heel ledge. I'm rocking QST 120's and I'm kinda bummed about the wear since I've only used it with Wardens...which I'd expect to work quite nicely together.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I definitely have wear on the boot heel ledge. I'm rocking QST 120's and I'm kinda bummed about the wear since I've only used it with Wardens...which I'd expect to work quite nicely together.
    Maybe some of those horseshoe heel fittings? I forget. Were they for Kingpins?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Hey so here are all the people blowing out of these things. Thought there were more out here. I contacted Salomon about the easy release from these bindings and they gave me some instructions for setting them up to a tighter spec. I then set flushed the forward pressure with a digital caliper and set the afd to their supplied value, .12mm with feeler gauges. No improvement. I was skiing these at a 12 setting and I'm confident if I tried to set a fast spin like a quick 720 I would blow out of both bindings on the takeoff. Both heels would release in nose butters too but the toe release made these bindings unskiable for me. My thought is that there are 3 factors that determine ease of toe release: Din setting, elasticity and the coverage of the toe piece. These toe pieces have so little coverage of your toe ledge. Others seem to be having success but I know my pair are bad and it sounds like a lot of type 3 skiers are having issues. Would be stoked on a recall to avoid having to deal with warranty

Quote Originally Posted by tomjensen View Post
    .........if I tried to set a fast spin like a quick 720 I would blow out of both bindings on the takeoff. Both heels would release in nose butters too.........
    There's your problem. I'd be surprised if that kind of skiing was in their design brief.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjensen View Post
    Others seem to be having success but I know my pair are bad and it sounds like a lot of type 3 skiers are having issues. Would be stoked on a recall to avoid having to deal with warranty
    So you have worked with Salomon and determined that you have a defective binding, but it would be more convenient for you to deal with a recall than to warranty them? Am I reading that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    There's your problem. I'd be surprised if that kind of skiing was in their design brief.
    Yeah Im just trying to give some perspective on how easily these things release. They are definitely being marketed as a freeride touring binding though and they're not really freeride capable.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    So you have worked with Salomon and determined that you have a defective binding, but it would be more convenient for you to deal with a recall than to warranty them? Am I reading that right?
    After looking in to it I realized the techs who checked my binding had their machine set up wrong. Still going to send the bindings in though. Even if I get a warrantied pair I'm pretty confident, after hearing about other people pre-releasing from these bindings, that I'll have the same issue

My shifts also chewed through the toe of my left boot. Brand new Lupo. I'm a fan of Salomon but...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wait... you’ve pre-released a couple of times but you know your techs set the bindings up wrong and yet you are still blaming salomon and pursuing warranty..... How ‘bout setting them properly and skiing them...

Send them to me. I’ll dispose of them for you.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Wait... you’ve pre-released a couple of times but you know your techs set the bindings up wrong and yet you are still blaming salomon and pursuing warranty..... How ‘bout setting them properly and skiing them...
    No they were set up correctly from the get go with the original spec of .5mm AFD. Had them checked by 2 other techs and had the AFD adjusted slightly to no improvement.

Im talking about when I had then nachine tested, the techs didnt have the Montana set up correctly.

If someone is near Revy and wants to buy them for $300 done deal