Helmets! Who makes the safest well vented helmet these days?

I've been using Smith Vantages forever it seems like.

In biking land, I love my POC and Bell.

Is a Smith Vantage MIPS still as good as anything? The Anon Prime MIPS looks quite nice. I have my eye on the Sweet Protection Switcher MIPS too... that looks like a well thought out helmet.

Removable ear pieces are a plus for spring touring...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

all helmets must meet a min saftey level to be sold. so they are ALL, "safe"

some are "more safer" due to MIPS, etc. its also harder to pass the safety test with more vents/lighter.

if you want to be cooler, get lots of vents and a light color and call it good?

How vented you talking? Like touring level venting, or vented for resorts?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

venting is overrated

Name:  vantage.jpeg
Views: 829
Size:  18.3 KB
    Vantage MIPS

Vantage can be toured in many days with 21 open/close vents. Drop the ears on spring days. Too warm out and a skullcap/ballcap unless you are in a chute and using a climbing helmet like a Vapor or Meteor.

Name:  switcher.jpeg
Views: 844
Size:  18.3 KB
    Sweet Switcher MIPS has 22 vents.

I wish someone made an EPP multi-impact helmet in those styles... there's a POC Auric BC SPIN, but POC ski helmet "style" is a bit much even for a styleless someone like me.

Like Mntlion said, pretty much every helmet has to pass the same standards. Some helmets likely pass by a wider margin than others, but companies don't tend to publish that kind of info.

Fit matters as much as anything. Comfort aside, a helmet that doesn't fit you well won't protect as well.

I've also seen some independent testing that suggests the Koroyd in Smith helmets doesn't protect as well as standard EPS. It still passes the tests though, so it's tough to arrive at any definitive conclusions other than that it costs a bunch more and doesn't offer a clear benefit aside from being different and green.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Like Mntlion said, pretty much every helmet has to pass the same standards. Some helmets likely pass by a wider margin than others, but companies don't tend to publish that kind of info.
    Yea and I don't think all that much of ASTM2040 and EN1078... it's a shame test data isn't published. Some companies do seem to put in extra effort into safety like POC and Sweet (also Leatt, Bell, 6D, and Kali in the bike world, WRSI in the river world). Hard to say without data...

Fit matters as much as anything. Comfort aside, a helmet that doesn't fit you well won't protect as well.
    I fit both Giro (oval) and Smith (round)... so I'm pretty damn universally shaped. What can I say?

I've also seen some independent testing that suggests the Koroyd in Smith helmets doesn't protect as well as standard EPS. It still passes the tests though, so it's tough to arrive at any definitive conclusions other than that it costs a bunch more and doesn't offer a clear benefit aside from being different and green.
    I've heard such things in harsher terms than that, but never found actual testing. Can you link?
    Last edited by Summit; 10-01-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I've heard such things in harsher terms than that, but never found actual testing. Can you link?
    It was a consumer reports thing from a few years back that was focused on bike helmets. Pretty sure you need a subscription to read it, but there's a reference to it here: https://www.helmets.org/cu_2015.htm

But I've had a couple Smith helmets with Koroyd, and at least on some of them, the Koroyd is just kinda jammed into a pocket in the EPS. Over time, that chunk of Koroyd came loose and could easily be wiggled around within the EPS pocket that it was stuck into. I'm no helmet engineer, but that doesn't seem like an ideal situation for a helmet. I can pretty easily envision a destructive impact where the Koroyd detaches from the rest of the helmet before it has a chance to cushion your head.

I used a couple of Vantages for years and last year switched to a Salomon QST Charge. It's a bit lighter and breathes better for touring days - not that I typically skin with a helmet on but there are times where it happens and it's nice for that.

I fit both Giro (oval) and Smith (round)... so I'm pretty damn universally shaped.
    I also fit both, as well as Salomon, but all three are really oval. Round brands are Bern and POC (ski only). Oakley, K2 are in between.

I was using a Pret Cirque last season which is light and has lots of vents. Then I landed headfirst on a rock, completely destroying the helmet and getting five compression fractures in my spine. My skull and brain came out completely unscathed. 10/10, would buy again.

I'm not really sure how much of a plus would be the MIPS on snow?
    It's designed to reduce tangential acceleration and I'd expect that to be a lesser issue on snow where the friction with the helmet is pretty low.

On the road or on a MTB track it's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    I'm not really sure how much of a plus would be the MIPS on snow?
    It's designed to reduce tangential acceleration and I'd expect that to be a lesser issue on snow where the friction with the helmet is pretty low.

On the road or on a MTB track it's a different story.
    I think you are right except when you are smacking trees and rocks...

I think you are right except when you are smacking trees and rocks...
    I like my bell super 2 MIPs and have used it for skiing. Removable faceplate and great venting.

Also have the smith MIPs vantage and it’s vented well.

The new smith is crazy expensive and does not buy you anything from what I saw.

I think MIPS is key since I crash and then don’t have to replace helmet.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I like my bell super 2 MIPs and have used it for skiing. Removable faceplate and great venting.

Also have the smith MIPs vantage and it’s vented well.

The new smith is crazy expensive and does not buy you anything from what I saw.
    I like my Super 2R and have considered it as a spring fair weather helmet.

If by "new smith" you mean:

Quantum vs the Vantage, I agree, not much extra for the $.

Super 3R vs Super 2R, I agree, nothing changed but fit.

Super DH vs Super 2R/3R, I disagree, whole new world there including full DH rating (including stiffer chin piece), dual layer EPP/EPS (limited multi-impact and better low speed mitigation), and Spherical MIPS (like the original POC Cortex MIPS concept or 6D's system) which should be significantly more effective (or some would just say, actually effective) vs the yellow shear plane MIPS.

MIPS is not a multi-impact system. You still have to replace your helmet after a crash unless you have a multi-impact rated EPP helmet and the crash was minor like a POC. MIPS is meant to reduce peak rotational (shearing) forces on the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Like Summit said, don't think there's any difference in durability/multi-impact use with MIPS vs. traditional. MIPS is just adding a low-friction layer that sits on your head so that your brain won't be as shaken up in case of impact. Sort of like a AFD for the head. There's a decent animation of this here:

(which is MIPS advertising, so take it with a grain of salt).