Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Just got KO2's put on earlier this week.

5 tires, mounted and balanced for $900. Hard to beat

Got 50k+ out of my old AT's
    Got my appointment Tuesday for these on my tundra. Pretty damn excited. Big life decision is white letters in or out.....

In...............unless they pay you to advertise.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Got my appointment Tuesday for these on my tundra. Pretty damn excited. Big life decision is white letters in or out.....

^ this is true. Just bought KO2's and method wheels for my 1st gen tundra. Letters in...

I have General Grabber AT2s on my Sequoia. Good snow traction, but terrible wear. I have maybe 25k on them and they'll make it through the winter but not much more. Thinking of going with the Michelin Defender LTX m/s next go round.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Was planning on Cooper ATW, but can't get them in the 4runner size (265/60R18).

So backups are:

Falken at3w, seem pretty similar to the cooper atw, perhaps less siping
    Cooper AT3, less winter oriented but likely pretty good
    Cooper ATP, ??? How do these compare?
    Cooper WSC, has anyone used these? Less of an AT design but studdable and winter design

Thoughts? Will likely go with the Falken.
    I've been content with my cooper at3s in winter driving so far. The ATP are similar but a hair more aggressive. Pretty sure they are discount tire only. Hopefully falken did full depth siping on the at3ws. The old wild peaks effectively became slicks at 1/2 tread.

They apparently did full depth siping on the at3w

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    ^ this is true. Just bought KO2's and method wheels for my 1st gen tundra. Letters in...
    Damn, I was leaning towards letters out. Now you guys have me thinking differently....

Damn, I was leaning towards letters out. Now you guys have me thinking differently....
    Letters in for the win

I think studs are overkill for my needs in CA. I also was under the assumption that studs are illegal in CA but I looked it up and they are permitted November 1 to April 30. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle w/studs in Tahoe...not that I am looking but you can generally hear them.
    Really? I hear them all the time. Family members and friends run them often.

I have 12k on the Cooper ATWs we put on our 4Runner just before Thanksgiving last year. Best AT tire in the snow I've used and the quietest on road. Others were BFGs and General Grabber AT2s. The difference is most noticeable on packed stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Really? I hear them all the time. Family members and friends run them often.

I have 12k on the Cooper ATWs we put on our 4Runner just before Thanksgiving last year. Best AT tire in the snow I've used and the quietest on road. Others were BFGs and General Grabber AT2s. The difference is most noticeable on packed stuff.
    What size did you put on your 4runner?

265/70/17. Non-Limited 5th Gens come with 17" wheels. Limiteds have 20s, which I would have ditched immediately if we went that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    265/70/17. Non-Limited 5th Gens come with 17" wheels. Limiteds have 20s, which I would have ditched immediately if we went that route.
    Got it, mine is a 4th Gen limited with 18's.

Went with the Cooper WSC which is a true winter tire, vs AT all season.

Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Letters in for the win
    White letters out look good for about 10-15k miles IME before they start to get shitty. If you have a really clean truck and will not be in any situations where the sidewalls may get scuffed or damaged it could work I suppose.

Between the tires and new wheel bearing it's too damn quiet in my ride now, can hear every squeak and rattle in the interior.

Great timing on this thread for me also. Bought a used Xterra in the spring with new Firestone Destination M/Ts. The tires look cool, but haven't had them in any gnarly winter conditions yet and I'm thinking they're going to be a real liability as soon as shit gets packed down... Thanks for the discussion! Time to reallocate some ski funding.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    White letters out look good for about 10-15k miles IME before they start to get shitty. If you have a really clean truck and will not be in any situations where the sidewalls may get scuffed or damaged it could work I suppose.

Between the tires and new wheel bearing it's too damn quiet in my ride now, can hear every squeak and rattle in the interior.
    Damnit! Have I become Marty Mcfly!? Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1480386414.124505.jpg
Views: 4874
Size:  82.7 KB

Funny how I was convinced one way, then started really looking at pics. Maybe white letters are old school...

I guess It'll be like ordering at a restaurant sometimes, I won't know until the words come out of my mouth at the time

Jong lafltte
    Thanks for the review what you describe is about the type of driving i will put on the same tire.
    will report back after a winter season

Truck Tire Time

Getting dark as I'm leaving the shop, but the tundra looks tough! Looks like a different truck. Thanks for the advice

Looks good!

Bought a set of Nokian Rotiiva at tires for my 4th generation 4Runner this week. Two trips to hood in all conditions and so far very impressed. They're quiet and smooth on dry pavement, and much better than the half worn studded toyos I ran the last few years. They're also surprisingly inexpensive compared to other brands. $600 mounted and balanced. 265/70/17

New Wild Peak A/T3W's on the LC. Quieter than expected on road coming from an A/T 'light" tire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Dec 02, 5 46 19 PM.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	588.6 KB 
ID:	194088

New Wild Peak A/T3W's on the LC. Quieter than expected on road coming from an A/T 'light" tire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Dec 02, 5 46 19 PM.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	588.6 KB 
ID:	194088
    If you can deal with the noise, you're really going to like them in the snow. They are very good.

30 day return policy. Can always get something different if I don't like them.

The DT guy side they will get quieter after ~1k miles. Not sure I buy into that. But I didn't find them noisy either.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If you can deal with the noise, you're really going to like them in the snow. They are very good.

guy should have gotten some truck tires

So other than the OP I didn't see much talk of the Yokahoma Geolander A/T. It's the second best rated tire on tirerack.com and gets great reviews for snow: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

Any personal experience?

For a mud tire in snow and ice, I've had the best luck with Cooper STTs siped. I've had them on multiple vehicles. My experience with AT tires is Cooper AT3>Toyo>BFG ATs on mud, snow, ice whatever. I will say I've gotten the most wear out of the BFGs but I'd rather have better traction than buy tires less frequently. Whites in unless it's a cool older truck.