Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diminishing returns on booze?

There seems to be no shortage of boozers on this forum, so I figured The Collective was a good place to ask about prices of favorite drinks. I've been playing a little game at the grocery store lately where I pick a wine region and look for the best price/sale price for that region and buy a bottle. Right now I won't spend more than $9.99 for a bottle. And the results are plenty satisfactory. I'm finding good values and cutting costs on a purely luxury item.

Do any of you have similar ceilings for your favorite bevies? Due to fewer choices and price controls, I don't expect this is as easy to do in the liquor market. But do you have price cutoffs for the maximum you need to spend to have an enjoyable drink? $28 for a bottle of bourbon, for example? A friend gave me some Jim Beam Devil's Cut and I like it well although I don't know the price. In any event, I don't need to spend more than what a bottle of Buffalo Trace costs.

I'd like to hear people's favorite selections and any price points you stick to? I had a bottle of a Portuguese red called LAB; really good. In fact, Portugal may have some of the best wine values. Other suggestions?
    I skin switch.

Despit ethe advent of the online shopping world, I get specific deals due to my region. So I am pretty lucky with local micros, WA and OR wines but get a bit hosed on the spirits front. That said, my price ceilings vary based on occassion. A simple wine bottle with a weekday meal and there is zero reason to go about 10 or 11 bones, I agree.

12-14 for wine. 65 for whiskey. 45-50 for tequila.

Quote Originally Posted by camplemur View Post
    There seems to be no shortage of boozers on this forum, so I figured The Collective was a good place to ask about prices of favorite drinks. I've been playing a little game at the grocery store lately where I pick a wine region and look for the best price/sale price for that region and buy a bottle. Right now I won't spend more than $9.99 for a bottle. And the results are plenty satisfactory. I'm finding good values and cutting costs on a purely luxury item.

Do any of you have similar ceilings for your favorite bevies? Due to fewer choices and price controls, I don't expect this is as easy to do in the liquor market. But do you have price cutoffs for the maximum you need to spend to have an enjoyable drink? $28 for a bottle of bourbon, for example? A friend gave me some Jim Beam Devil's Cut and I like it well although I don't know the price. In any event, I don't need to spend more than what a bottle of Buffalo Trace costs.

I'd like to hear people's favorite selections and any price points you stick to? I had a bottle of a Portuguese red called LAB; really good. In fact, Portugal may have some of the best wine values. Other suggestions?
    Posted it before...Evan Williams Bourbon, can almost always get at Safeway or SaveMart for about 18/handle. Safeway had it for 14 the other day.

Wine...big supermarkets are often a good deal. A lot will give you a 10% discount on 6 bottles and you can mix in booze too. Right now Safeway is 30% off all wine, and with 6, its 40%

Regions...Some of the lesser appellations in the Rhone are a good deal. I get some decent malbecs from SA for 10-15 and also like a lot of Spanish wines. Lotsa juice the last couple of years from California, so there are some bargain blends around. Sierra Foothill (Amador, El Dorado) have some good values.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Hugh Conway Guest
    after one drink if she's not digging you move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    after one drink if she's not digging you move on.
    The voice of experience
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Like has been mentioned, for cheap and tolerable bourbon go Evan Williams. I buy Svedka vodka which is real cheap. Normal table weekday wine try to keep it under $10. But I do like good spirits and I spare no expense when in the mood. My scotch collection is getting very respectable. Getting a little more into better tequilas as well but still don't know much.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Never a need to spend more than ...
    - $15/bottle for wine
    - $25/handle of vodka
    - $20/bottle of bourbon/tequila/rum ($35-40 for handle)

Favorite bargain liquors:
    - Wine: Bota Box ($20/3L)
    - Vodka: Skyy, Svedka (Tito's for an extra $10/handle)
    - Bourbon: Buffalo Trace, Bulleit
    - Tequila: Espolon
    - Rum: Sailor Jerry, Kraken

Pretty much an exact X2 on what PappaG just posted.

Nobody has mentioned Trader Joe's wine selection yet. I will usually shop the sales there and pick up some pretty nice wine for under 10 or 15 bucks a bottle. And if I'm having a party or a cheap bottle with a weeknight dinner, 2 Buck Chuck is always totally drink-able.

CVS has some good booze bargains + usually a $2 or so coupon from one of the major brands in the sunday ads.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Regions...Some of the lesser appellations in the Rhone are a good deal. I get some decent malbecs from SA for 10-15 and also like a lot of Spanish wines.
    This... Spain is the best bang for the buck at the moment on the EC, Argentina a close second. I'd also throw in Cru Beaujolais as a worthy alternative to Pinot Noir.

Vodka: Luksusowa is awesome (clean, tasty, and cheap)
    Bourbon: Buffalo Trace or Bulleitt - ~$30/handle
    Scotch: White Horse (blended Lagavulin, Talisker, and Linkwood) is damn good if you like it slightly smoky and mad cheap.
    Rum: Cruzan
    Tequila (for mixing) : Cazadores or Sauza Hornitos
    Gin: Beefeater

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Trader Joe's wine selection yet. I will usually shop the sales there and pick up some pretty nice wine for under 10 or 15 bucks a bottle. And if I'm having a party or a cheap bottle with a weeknight dinner, 2 Buck Chuck is always totally drink-able.
    Grocery Outlet has great deals on red wines - bring a smartphone with you to the store and buy alot if it's good. (it's all remainders bought up so the White's tend to be well past their prime, the reds can be on the money or just past it)

Sauza Hornito's Reposado at CVS $19.99 right now + a $2 coupon from last sunday's circulars...

(coupon good thru 12/7 on 750ml or larger Jim Beam brands)
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    12-14 for wine. 65 for whiskey. 45-50 for tequila.
    This, other than the occasional splurge on wine and whiskey... a few of the wife and my sentimental favorites are expensive... Whiskey, if the bottle is more than $65 it usually comes with the caveat that I'll be drinking bullit as my daily driver.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Very rarely will I spend more than 15 on a bottle of wine for a daily drinker,unless I have had it before and know it is good/worth it. Between 10-15 seems to be a sweet spot for reds, any lower and I fear I may be in for a real bad bottle. Sure you may hit some good stuff under 10 and when/if you do by all means stock up on it, I do.
    Buying by the case at a 20-25% discount is the way to go it gets a 20 bottle down to near 15.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Favorite bargain liquors:
    - Wine: Bota Box ($20/3L)
    - Vodka: Skyy, Svedka (Tito's for an extra $10/handle)
    - Bourbon: Buffalo Trace, Bulleit
    - Tequila: Espolon
    - Rum: Sailor Jerry, Kraken
    really nice list, pretty much the same except I usually go for Cazadores on the tequila. Svedka gives me a damn headache for some reason, but it's cheap and decent vodka so i drink it anyways.

Rules of thumb that I go by:

Wine $8-10--Rolling the dice, may be really good, may be shit. $12-15 consistently good, maybe not the best bargain. $15+ diminishing returns, better know what you're doing

750ml Spirits: sub $15--Asking for trouble, $15-20 hit and miss (good point for mixed drinks), $20-30 the sweet spot, $30-50 generally nice, serve on the rocks, 50+ rapidly diminishing returns.

There are plenty of exceptions here, cognac and scotch for sure. This covers 80% of the main market.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

For red wines, $12 - $20 is the best bang for your buck. Diminishing returns after $20 or so... (there's a lot of really good stuff for around $17 or $18).

Here's what I'm noticing:
    1. I'm at a disadvantage living in a state with ABC stores. Wouldn't it be nice to buy bourbon at Safeway on sale?
    2. I need to buy wine in bulk for discounts.
    3. I will be having a taste-off between Evan Williams and Buffalo Trace to see if my palate cares.

Thanks for the suggestions. All good stuff.
    I skin switch.

x3-4 EDub. Also if I'm just mixing, Ten High is another super cheap decent tasting bourbon. Rittenhouse Rye is sub $20 as well and is a super value.

"I have taken more from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchhill

I love that quote. Seemed appropriate here.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Kirkland Bourbon
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Tequilla....El Jimador, all agave and way cheap
    I am not an alias

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I'd also throw in Cru Beaujolais as a worthy alternative to SHIT Pinot Noir.
    Peasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Rum: Cruzan
    Cacique 500

Peasant.

this is all pretty relative to location and state taxes, no? i miss living closer to idaho