Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Yeah, went down that wormhole. I heard them first on "Groove Requiem", I guess. Funny how there seems to be 20 versions of each of their songs. (of course the "Groove" ones are the best).
    They weren’t very industrial either.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Just went to go watch this and it’s not on AP.
    According to the trailer I posted it will be available starting August 28...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    AFTER MIDNIGHT
    3.5/5
    Imagine thritysomething in rural Florida with a savage monster underpinning.
    This is a slow, subtle film that persists due to one giant red herring that should have you second guessing the outcome through its entirety.
    The final 11-minutes are nerve wracking, frustrating, and fantastic; I was on the edge of my seat and wringing my hands with anticipation, anxiety, and trying to figure out if any of my theories were correct.
    This looks and feels like a horror flick that Parker Posey might have starred in 20-odd years ago or the type of horror film that Kevin Smith could have made around the time of Chasing Amy...
    Fantastic, laidback performance from screenwriter/co-director Jeremy Gardner, as well as a gleefully nebbish comedic outpouring courtesy of Henry Zebrowski turn this into a quirky monster mash.

RIYL
    Baghead; Safety Not Guaranteed

Good shit; thanks for the recommendation. That long take near the end, before the birthday party, is so well done.

^ Def a slow burn and enjoyed it, but still trying to figure out the time signatures and the ending. confusing as fuck.
    "Can't you see..."

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Loved this documentary About taxidermy artists.
    Brilliant

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    What's your opinion on watching this with my 10 y.o? For reference, we've let him watch The Grand Tour, Ford v. Ferrari, and The Martian among others, but those are about the limit of what we'll allow.
    Went ahead and watched it with the kid. More f-bombs than I'd prefer, but still a lot less than he hears in an hour at the skatepark or the lift line at Brighton. The drug stuff gets a bit heavy at times, but I'm cool with him knowing that reality. Such a tragic yet life-affirming story.

We have been binge watching "Life in Pieces". It's pretty damn funny. I never really got into modern family, but this is more my kind of humor I guess. Either way, I guess it is pretty cheesy but the actors are really good at reliving their jokes for the most part. Haven't laughed so hard at a show like this in a long time.

Here are a couple of great, late '80s/early '90s HK fantasy/action films worth checking out if you dig the wire-fu era of Chinese cinema:

A CHINESE GHOST STORY
    A "spooky" and sometimes slapstick wuxia flick that is over-the-top. This is one of the films that more than likely influenced Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, in terms of the high-flying fight sequences and mystical elements. While not as polished as Ang Lee's film, it is a wonderful example of the genre.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA
    Long before Jet Li played second fiddle to the likes of Mel Gibson and Steven Seagal, he was one of China's leading men (following in the footsteps of Chow Yun Fat and paving the way for Donnie Yen, in a manner of speaking). This is one of Li's early mid-period efforts and still one of his best.
    Directed by Tsui Hark, who was a master of late '80s/early '90s fantastical martial arts epics, it contains off-the-nuts wire-fu action sequences and some wonderful period elements.
    Highly recommended.
    Last edited by dookey67; 08-16-2020 at 05:59 PM.

LUCKY DAY
    I watched this flick 2X back-to-back when it was first released on DVD back in January.
    It's like a QT movie on meth and ludes.
    Crispin Glover is off-the-nuts.
    The rest of the cast is stellar.
    Lots and lots of absurdist ultra-violence, so not for the faint of heart in that regard.
    Lots of sick-and-twisted humor, too.

RIYL: Pulp Fiction; Kill Bill Vol. 1; Killing Zoe...

Last edited by dookey67; 09-01-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    LUCKY DAY
    I watched this flick 2X back-to-back when it was first released on DVD back in January.
    It's like a QT movie on meth and ludes.
    Crispin Glover is off-the-nuts.
    The rest of the cast is stellar.
    Lots and lots of absurdist ultra-violence, so not for the faint of heart in that regard.
    Lots of sick-and-twisted humor, too.

RIYL: Pulp Fiction; Kill Bill Vol. 1; Killing Zoe...

Loved it

A good, crazy anthology flick from Argentina, Wild Tales ($1 rental on Amazon at the moment), six shorts on a common theme, namely, revenge; including road rage spiraling out of control, bride seeks revenge against groom at their wedding, etc. Good dark comedy, and the best Argentinian movie I've seen since Nine Queens (I have no idea where you can see that one, looks like it's available nowhere, but do catch it if it ever shows up; glad I have the DVD).

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    A good, crazy anthology flick from Argentina, Wild Tales ($1 rental on Amazon at the moment), six shorts on a common theme, namely, revenge; including road rage spiraling out of control, bride seeks revenge against groom at their wedding, etc. Good dark comedy, and the best Argentinian movie I've seen since Nine Queens (I have no idea where you can see that one, looks like it's available nowhere, but do catch it if it ever shows up; glad I have the DVD).
    Loved Nine Queens
    Downloaded and ready to go

Coming to Prime September 1: Big Time with Tom Waits, a performance collection with weird interludes. For a pretty long time this wasn't even available on DVD, one of those old films that I thought was obscure enough to be officially forgotten; I've seen it a couple of times and it's kind of awesome.

Coming to Prime September 1: Big Time with Tom Waits, a performance collection with weird interludes. For a pretty long time this wasn't even available on DVD, one of those old films that I thought was obscure enough to be officially forgotten; I've seen it a couple of times and it's kind of awesome.
    Cool.
    Never seen this.
    I did see The Black Rider, a play that Waits wrote, which was sufficiently weird and cool.

And I enjoy Waits as an actor, so may have to peep this.
    Danke gracias for the heads up!

Coulda been cool...but I couldn't even make it through one episode. The "human interest" and Survivor schtick made it unwatchable to me. As if going across miles of ocean in the dark, getting bit by some giant spider, or having your toe fall off b/c of jungle rot isn't enough...Karen has suffered with diabetes all her life...but now...

For you MTB folks (and Bay area peeps), I just watched Klunkerz. Well worth your time.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Klunkers is on Prime? Yes, definitely recommended.

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Klunkers is on Prime? Yes, definitely recommended.
    Yep...there's a bunch of cycling stuff on now. I imagine b/c the Tour is starting, so they're throwing if up. I also watched the Marco Pantani story. It's pretty self-serving; unless you like that era of cycling (I do), I can't really recommend it.

EDIT TO ADD: Swift, Silent, Deep is available. Watching now...for the millionth time!
    Last edited by smartyiak; 08-26-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Coulda been cool...but I couldn't even make it through one episode. The "human interest" and Survivor schtick made it unwatchable to me. As if going across miles of ocean in the dark, getting bit by some giant spider, or having your toe fall off b/c of jungle rot isn't enough...Karen has suffered with diabetes all her life...but now...

For you MTB folks (and Bay area peeps), I just watched Klunkerz. Well worth your time.
    i ended up with my finger on the clicker bumping thru the padding to get the story of the leaders moving along

More cycling-related, but a fun watch...if you don't mind subtitles (or if you know French):

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Tour-M%C.../dp/B083PRSYN7

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Just went to go watch this and it’s not on AP.

Worth a watch

Some absolutely hilarious moments

Planning to watch this: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...first-reviews/

Ridley is definitely past his prime, but it still looks good.

Wondering how similar it will be to this - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_am_mother, which was very good.

The Boys is back in a couple days with Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Planning to watch this: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...first-reviews/

Ridley is definitely past his prime, but it still looks good.

Wondering how similar it will be to this - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_am_mother, which was very good.
    Isn't it on HBO?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Isn't it on HBO?
    Shit. Could have sworn I was posting on the New TV series thread. That's two Jong moves in the last 48 hours.