Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    Shop guys actually told me never to wash bike. Said H2O hurts parts over time. Seems a tad silly to me but what the hell do I️ know. Anyone have opinions?
    I am sure they also said to not ride it through streams, puddles or during periods of rain. Don't leave it outside or in/on your vehicle if it will get wet. No wonder I never go in shops.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    Shop guys actually told me never to wash bike. Said H2O hurts parts over time. Seems a tad silly to me but what the hell do I️ know. Anyone have opinions?
    This is the worst bike myth ever IMO and you should avoid any shop that tells you this. Sure, don't power wash it, but leaving a bunch of shit on your components and then using them causes way more wear and tear. Think about your front fork, do you think it's good to leave dry crusted mud on there so when it compresses all of that shit scrapes against the seals? Or grinding on your drive-train instead of having it run nice and smooth. It's not rocket science.

Yeah, the "don't hose off your bike" thing is mostly a legacy of the old days when bikes had unsealed cup-and-cone bearings and you were worried about washing all the grease out of the bearing. Even then you just had to be careful not to blast water at high pressure into the bearing areas. Nowadays with sealed bearings this is even less of an issue (though I'd still avoid high pressure).

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is the worst bike myth ever IMO and you should avoid any shop that tells you this. Sure, don't power wash it, but leaving a bunch of shit on your components and then using them causes way more wear and tear. Think about your front fork, do you think it's good to leave dry crusted mud on there so when it compresses all of that shit scrapes against the seals? Or grinding on your drive-train instead of having it run nice and smooth. It's not rocket science.
    Neither is wiping off the dried dirt before you use the bike again. Water will find a way in somewhere and or sit somewhere you may not want it to.

Myth? Lol shit if a shop told you to hose the bike off then some of you guys would still bitch about the shop telling you that. Haha.

If the mud is still mud hose it off, if it's already dry wipe it off, if it's not really in critical areas leave it alone because mt bikes like to be dirty.

I think most people, shops/mechanics included, say "don't use the hose" because there's always a Barney Hamfist somewhere who'll use the strongest waterjet hose attachment & point it exactly where he shouldn't, for longer than he should.

Anyone ever seen that video of the BH using a power washer and knocking out a window?

My trusty bike with a 2011 frame gets water from the garden hose, with a watergun attachment, any time it's been coated with mud any time, or our killer fine dust in high Summer. I'm a little cautious on how much force the watergun applies.

In the early days of external BBs, when I thought bikes were relatively impervious to those coin-op car wash power sprays, I used to find BBs dying prematurely. I'm pretty sure I over-estimated the BB's water resistance.

I hosed my bike off once. Once. The damn thing disintegrated right before my eyes! Anyone who has ever washed their bike, and still has that bike, and still rides that bike, is clearly wrong.
    I'm mildly amused that this thread is still going.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Stopped at one of those ghetto DIY car washes after riding Sunday and spent $1.00 hosing the bikes off while on the rack, so that they’d be relatively clean when we got home. Priceless.

I replace bottom brackets maybe once a year. On the DH bike, it’ll look like a mini septic tank inside the BB shell. The amount of time it takes to pull the cranks, unthread and replace a Shimano/Sram BB, reassemble PLUS the $25 cost is 1000x less effort than treating the thing like a newborn baby.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I dunno, if people can pretend to discern rolling weight annoyance differences between

Stans+CushMushBroBrahCore+suitably-modern&badass-rim+DH tire/kev-bead, and

DH tube+heavy DH rim from 2009+DH tire, and

where weights come out about the same in each overall wheel setting,

and suggest say the latter circa 09 full DH is stupid to pedal but the former BroCrushBore gig is genius,

then I was wondering if anyone has any truly artisanal arrays for gentle velocipede bathing, with a George Hamilton-approved passive solar reflector apparatus for drying... something like what this typical circa 2017, stuckie-era TGR maggot here is using:

Name:  UpdateSuntan.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  36.0 KB
    "Get the red ones."

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I dunno, if people can pretend to discern rolling weight annoyance differences between

Stans+CushMushBroBrahCore+suitably-modern&badass-rim+DH tire/kev-bead, and

DH tube+heavy DH rim from 2009+DH tire, and

where weights come out about the same in each overall wheel setting,

and suggest say the latter circa 09 full DH is stupid to pedal but the former BroCrushBore gig is genius,

then I was wondering if anyone has any truly artisanal arrays for gentle velocipede bathing, with a George Hamilton-approved passive solar reflector apparatus for drying... something like what this typical circa 2017, stuckie-era TGR maggot here is using:

Name:  UpdateSuntan.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  36.0 KB
    "Get the red ones."
    That ones easy. Tubes feel like shit.

The only reason to run DH tubeless tires these days is if you’re riding DH.

Can we all just agree that we all ride in vastly different climates, on almost infinite different surfaces and with different styles and techniques so there will be very little sense or agreement in declaring some lube, cleaning technique, tire tread/size/weight/psi,etc as the end all-be all?

Except of course for any iteration of the Minion DHF. The DHF is the singularity.

/end mountainbikeinterwebtwattery

#crudwasright
    #nomoregrow
    #mountainbikingisfull

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Can we all just agree that we all ride in vastly different climates, on almost infinite different surfaces and with different styles and techniques so there will be very little sense or agreement in declaring some lube, cleaning technique, tire tread/size/weight/psi,etc as the end all-be all?
    NO! My way or the highway, fucker!

Maybe we can get some videos of people cleaning, waxing, lubing, etc. in real time to get a real sense of the kind of commitment it takes.
    Gotta do something to keep us entertained through the winter.

Excellent idea, I like the way you think.

Just moved to Oregon this year and have been biking a lot this fall in pretty muddy conditions. I'm not a neat freak at all but try to clean most of the muck off after each ride. I find that biking water bottles with some warm water and dish soap works great with just enough force to get off the really thick gunk. Bucket of water/dish soap, sponge for the rest and a cheap kitchen dish brush to clean off the chain and rear mech.

With that said, anyone have specific recommendations for chain lube in really wet conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post

With that said, anyone have specific recommendations for chain lube in really wet conditions?
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Finish-Line-B...AAAOSwtZVZrr0~

Lather it on and power wash it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    I spent 3 days riding wet muck in the rain in Squamish. After about 3 hrs 1st day my usual lube went TU. Went to Corsa Bikes, guys said "we use Pedro's SynLube when it's wet," I got a bottle & used it. Chain stayed smooth & quiet in all kinds of muck, crap stuck to chain but it ran smoothly & quietly. This was '06, If they still use same formula that's what I would use again if I was in wetland.

Yup finish line wet or syn lube work great. You can use a micro amount on each pin/plate junction and go a long way smoothly.

1 hour of this:

Leads to this ... yeah I’ll just use a hose and replace my chain and bearings a wee bit earlier than those who live in dry climates.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That ones easy. Tubes feel like shit.
    Dammit, this is why I was a bad pitcher in little league baseball.

Except of course for any iteration of the Minion DHF. The DHF is the singularity.
    Let us give thanks and praise to Colin Bailey. Resistance is futile, even I am back to DHF front/rear and grumbling at the pedaling sluggishness.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Leads to this ... yeah I’ll just use a hose and replace my chain and bearings a wee bit earlier than those who live in dry climates.
    Naaaah. Supposed to NOT ride, but type a lot on the internet. That's how you become an expert.

Look at those pedals. This guy actually uses his bike. I call FRAUD!

1 hour of this:

One hour of riding and your bike changes colors from silver to green? That's fucking sick!

I know, BASF still has the patent pending

His bike looked like this, I guess I could have posted that photo instead, but it didn't show his drivetrain!!! Which of course does not need to be cleaned!!!

Good intro for his first time riding local stuff in the Pacific Northwet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6868.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	217343

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I know, BASF still has the patent pending

His bike looked like this, I guess I could have posted that photo instead, but it didn't show his drivetrain!!! Which of course does not need to be cleaned!!!

Good intro for his first time riding local stuff in the Pacific Northwet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6868.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	217343
    That's wild how you guys can hang at 90deg, or your car can hang at 90deg, from a vertical surface. Like the aliens' spaceship in that movie Arrival.

Also, anyone who watches GCN/GMBN would think you should break out a bucket of soapy water and 3-4 different brushes/sponges and go hog-wild putting a degreaser (soap) everywhere it shouldn't be, after every ride. "Oh I thought soap only attacked dirt, you're telling me it also doesn't like the grease around my bearings or the lube in small-spaced pivot points?"

If new bike sales slows enough, we can expect to see suggestions of full-bike dunks in baths of Tide detergent laden water, 200deg F. "Oh, it's the best cleaning solution we've ever seen."

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    For fucks sake, its a bike not a classic show car.