Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    I still have yet to see Dune.
    Today, however, I saw The French Dispatch, which also happens to feature Timothee Chalamet.
    He was absolutely the worst thing in the film, I mean he brought the whole thing down, almost single-handedly ruining the picture. I honestly don't understand his allure or the hype around him.
    Now I am apprehensive about sitting through 2.5 hours of him stuffed in a SCUBA suit and snorting spice...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yeah. Streaming via HBO, though. NOT the same as what you get with 4K Blu-Ray or in this case, the studio's theater copies in all their full bit-rate glory. Those files are usually somewhere around 100-200GB+. No matter how good you think streaming can look, what you watched at home got compressed, stripped, sliced and diced to shove it through the internet pipes efficiently. Don't get me strong. Streaming quality can often be quite acceptable, but the biggest downside is that usually dark scenes are the first thing to suffer. Crushed darks, macroblocking, banding, etc.

When it's released on 4K blu-ray, assuming you have a proper HDR10/DV display + stereo gear that can passthrough said data, go re-watch it and see if it's still just as unacceptable.
    I am waiting for Directtv to have it available pay per view in 4k hdr and will bite the bullet and buy it though I am getting close to cutting the cord and will lose it when I do. I have a high end 85 inch with an audiophile sound system and this will be the reference material I have been waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    I am waiting for Directtv to have it available pay per view
    Still the wrong way to go about it if you want the best possible experience IMO. DirecTV, even their "4K" offerings, still compress the piss out of stuff. Especially in the audio department where they basically give it the MP3 treatment. If you want those subsonic frequencies to hit right, you still gotta go disc. See: Edge of Tomorrow. That intro will straight blow you out of your chair, rupture internal organs, and blow your subs if they're not up to the task. It's God-tier bass.

Sure, cut the cord, but just get it on 4K Blu-Ray when that gets released. Personally, I'm going to get it on Kaleidescape, and wait for part 2 to come out so I can get the inevitable super duper awesome "collectible" box set they'll likely release. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I still have yet to see Dune.
    Today, however, I saw The French Dispatch, which also happens to feature Timothee Chalamet.
    He was absolutely the worst thing in the film, I mean he brought the whole thing down, almost single-handedly ruining the picture. I honestly don't understand his allure or the hype around him.
    Now I am apprehensive about sitting through 2.5 hours of him stuffed in a SCUBA suit and snorting spice...
    A valid concern, for sure. Although I still think I personally prefer Kyle MacLachlan's version of Paul Atreides, I believe that Timothée Chalamet's rendition is honestly more true to the way the book portrayed the character. We'll have to see how he transitions to "Muad'Dib" in Part 2, but so far he really does nail the character IMO.

Hahahaha. Dooooooooooooone.

Sorry I'm just chiming in now, and haven't read through this whole thread but thought I would share my opinion after seeing Dune.

I'm a big fan of David Lynch and of Dune. Saw the movie as a kid and was baffled but mesmerized. In my mid 20s i read all 6 books and re-watched the movie a number of times since. Haven't watched any of the TV series though.

I was thoroughly impressed with the reboot. I think Villeneuve did a great job of honoring the original. The casting was good and Zimmerman did not disappoint (except for one thing, which i will mention later). I think my favorite character was Baron Harkonnen. He really nailed how evil he was, while being a bit more subtle than the character in the Lynch version. I totally agree with MFs impression of Paul Atreidies in the new version. Hard to beat Kyle McLaughlin, but the casting choice was right for the context. The only thing I thought could have been improved was the "voice". I feel like they could have better portrayed something that is supposed to be so powerful and i was hoping Zimmerman would step in here as a sound artist, but it sounded pretty similar to the Lynch version.

Anyway, was stoked to see this as my first post covid movie in a theater. Would recommend if you are a fan.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    I think my favorite character was Baron Harkonnen. He really nailed how evil he was, while being a bit more subtle than the character in the Lynch version.
    Agreed! Although I always got a crack out of the Baron in Lynch's version, he was so over the top that it ends up being comical. In the new version, Baron Harkonnen is actually scary AF. It makes WAY more sense how he'd wield so much power in this one, whereas before it was like "who would actually listen to this joker?"

Also, anybody think that the portrayal of Salusa Secundus was spooky as hell? Between the throat singing, the dude leading with the hand moves, and the people who were crucified upside down being bled out, for which they seemed to use said blood to "annoint" the warriors. W.... T.... F.... If Villeneuve was trying to quickly portray just how brutal and ruthless the Sardaukar were supposed to be, then mission accomplished. Stuff out of nightmares!

x3 on Scarsgard's Baron - superb.
    Kyle was only one of numerous mis-casts in Lynch's Dune.

Also, anybody think that the portrayal of Salusa Secundus was spooky as hell? Between the throat singing, the dude leading with the hand moves, and the people who were crucified upside down being bled out, for which they seemed to use said blood to "annoint" the warriors. W.... T.... F.... If Villeneuve was trying to quickly portray just how brutal and ruthless the Sardaukar were supposed to be, then mission accomplished. Stuff out of nightmares!
    Fuck tbh I took a pee break around then, but yeah they were brutal. I want to see it again.
    27° 18°

Finally saw Dune today.
    Had a 50 seat theater all to my lonesome.
    I found the flick to be decent, not great (keep in mind that I have not read the novels, so I have no emotional or nostalgic attachment to the material).
    The one thing that stood out glaringly was the score, which was a bit out of hand; it never let up and ultimately felt oppressive and smothering.
    The main thing I came away with is that the story is merely a fantastical rehash of the Christ story. That and Dune obviously had a huge influence on Star Wars (amongst other sci-fi films).
    I mentioned a few posts above that I was worried about Timothee Chalamet. Gotta say that TC actually worked well as Paul A.
    I have now seen him in 3 movies all in one week (Hot Summer Nights; The French Dispatch; Dune). Two of those he was decent in, the other one he sucked in. So he's 2-for-3 for me.
    Jason Momoa was probably the weakest casting choice in the film, imho. Several of the others felt like they were there just to pull the general public into the movie (Josh Brolin). Heck, the bulk of the cast felt like an MCU meets DCEU conclave.
    But for every lame, populist casting choice there were some great surprises: Charlotte Rampling, Javier Bardem, Stellan Skarsgard.
    I really dug the dragonfly ships, too.
    Again, decent, but not great.
    That said, I do wish they had filmed Part 2 simultaneously so we don't have a 2-to-3 year gap...

Oh yeah, gonna back Buttah up on his comment about the fight scene looking like modern dance/ballet. For the record, I like modern dance and ballet, just not in fight scenes in sci-fi films. I am referring to the dream/vision sequence where Paul is in a dirty alabaster suit of armor and he is cart-wheeling over adversaries like he's performing in a revival of West Side Story. Reminded me of the weak-azz Darth Maul choreography in that shitty Phantom Menace entry, which was choreographed by Michael Smuin, btw.
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 11-20-2021 at 12:33 AM.

Have to agree about Mamoa and Brolin; the Halleck character is a tough one though - Patrick Stewart hashed it up, too.

Agreed! Although I always got a crack out of the Baron in Lynch's version, he was so over the top that it ends up being comical. In the new version, Baron Harkonnen is actually scary AF. It makes WAY more sense how he'd wield so much power in this one, whereas before it was like "who would actually listen to this joker?"

Awesome scene.
    One of the best in the movie.

I was describing this detail to three different people who had seen the movie and NONE of them even saw the crucified.
    ?!?
    I suppose, in their defense, the occupants of the bleeding bowls were very much like architectural features.

I don't recall if this has been posted here yet...

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

This site, imho, tends to compile some decent and interesting lists.

"10 Films To Watch If You Liked Dune"
    https://www.tasteofcinema.com/2021/1...ou-liked-dune/

This site, imho, tends to compile some decent and interesting lists.

"10 Films To Watch If You Liked Dune"
    https://www.tasteofcinema.com/2021/1...ou-liked-dune/
    that was a fun list. Thanks! Worth getting through all the ads to read it

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    that was a fun list. Thanks! Worth getting through all the ads to read it
    Not film related, but pro-tip: use the Brave browser. I saw zero ads at that link.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Not film related, but pro-tip: use the Brave browser. I saw zero ads at that link.
    I am using Chrome on an Samsung Android tablet with zero ads...

There's only 2 films on that list I have not seen:
    Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind and O-bi, O-ba: The End of Civilization .

Interesting selection

I am using Chrome on an Samsung Android tablet with zero ads...

There's only 2 films on that list I have not seen:
    Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind and O-bi, O-ba: The End of Civilization .

Re: Nausicaa
    It's worth a purchase. I grew up watching it in the 80s, and what's super fun is now my whole family loves it. Glad I have it in my permanent collection where no streaming platform can revoke it on a whim. I liked the Japanese version, but probably grew up with an English dub, however the re-dubbing is a worthy effort. All star voice cast including Patrick Stewart as Lord Yupa. Even more fitting that he was in the Lynch Dune film!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Oh, and DEFINITELY read the manga collection if you end up liking the film. Goes way deeper into the story obviously. Pretty widely available so thankfully not hard to find these days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Cryptobros to the rescue?
    https://www.dazeddigital.com/film-tv...-nft-spice-dao

As ill-fated as this probably is, at least they want to share it, unlike that db who bought the Wu-tang Clan album...

will be curious what they can do with it.

Next film wont be until Oct 2023...

The new Dune made it to HBO. Watched it last night.

Seemed very dark on my TV for a lot of the scenes, and had to turn the sound way up to hear the dialog. I guess I really should have seen it in a theater.