Parental Control Apps, Who Is Using What?

Our super-smart 12 yo keeps finding ways around Kapersky, so we are looking for other options. Looking to restrict internet time mostly, but we are open to other capabilities.
    We are on ATT with Android phones.
    Thanks!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Our super-smart 12 yo keeps finding ways around Kapersky, so we are looking for other options. Looking to restrict internet time mostly, but we are open to other capabilities.
    We are on ATT with Android phones.
    Thanks!
    My son is only 10, so I have yet to research & implement smartphone controls and can just focus on controlling and filtering wifi access in the house. I have a series of wifi access points that allows me to create dozens of networks/SSID's. I already had 2 networks setup - one to use for our laptops, phones, tablets, etc and another for smarthome/IoT devices. I added a 3rd network that has time based controls, and use OpenDNS to filter (and track) web usage on that network. His itouch, ipad, laptop, ps4, xbox, etc all connect to that network. If we ever want/need to shut him down, I just log in to the access point and temporarily disable the network that his devices connect to.

I had been using a Cisco router but their app sucked.

Got a netgear orbi for other reasons, and the parental controls are way better.
    Every device can be assigned to a user, and that user is easily controlled. It also has “circle” app for content filtering. Saw my 13 year old clicked on meatspin. And got blocked.
    The app is so easy. If you want to shut them down it’s a few easy clicks on your phone.

Phones are harder. I keep coming across the bark app. Haven’t tried it

Ps, on any router you should use the family friendly version of openDNS
    . . .

My router has the Disney Circle functionality built in. Not that I use it yet, BUT it looks pretty good. I would probably just set up online/offline times for each device, and have your phone service provider shut off mobile data for your kids' phones if were you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I had been using a Cisco router but their app sucked.

Got a netgear orbi for other reasons, and the parental controls are way better.
    Every device can be assigned to a user, and that user is easily controlled. It also has “circle” app for content filtering. Saw my 13 year old clicked on meatspin. And got blocked.
    The app is so easy. If you want to shut them down it’s a few easy clicks on your phone.

Phones are harder. I keep coming across the bark app. Haven’t tried it

Ps, on any router you should use the family friendly version of openDNS
    Wife wants to try Bark. Curious to hear real-world feedback.

We’ve fallen on the side of not restricting or monitoring

I’ll let you know how it went in 3 yrs when he’s officially an adult

My parents are no longer alive, but if they were I would use 4 point restraints to control them, or at least take away all their devices.

Badda-Boom, rim shot.

So, Bark doesn’t have screen time controls, so it’s out.
    Any others to look into?
    We have to be able to control screen time on his smart phone when he is on 4g. It would be ideal if we could just shut him down at 9:00 PM. Currently we try and confiscate his phone, which is a PITA, and always a fight.

What is he watching, Fox News?

God only knows. He has shown no desire or browsing history of anything really questionable, so we actually trust him on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    My router has the Disney Circle functionality built in. Not that I use it yet, BUT it looks pretty good. I would probably just set up online/offline times for each device, and have your phone service provider shut off mobile data for your kids' phones if were you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    No kids here, but I came across Circle in the course of work (they're located in Portland). It seems like it offers pretty fine-grained controls that don't require a high degree of technical proficiency. It's available as a standalone device or built in to some routers as Austin mentioned, maybe worth checking out.

However, he would just use 4g if we restrict the router. He uses the phone to get in touch with us, I don’t know if it will operate without data. We had him set up with just WiFi calling, but that didn’t meet our needs.
    Thanks, though!

Phone confiscation. Sucks but it works. Devices on the kitchen counter for bedtime.
    . . .

Phone confiscation. Sucks but it works. Devices on the kitchen counter for bedtime.
    Yup. This. Don't fight - just make it a requirement.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Get Google family link if you all have android devices.

We gave our kids (6 and 10) our old phones for xmas to use as mp3/spotify players on the wifi only. Total parental control of device on/off time, use time, and app installation all controlled from your phone and require parent approval or you can set limits on apps based on rating. The use time seems wonky and doesn't update to the parent's phone frequently enough for my liking, but controlling app installation and locking times is great.

It also has location tracking and internet filtering or individual site whitelisting, but we haven't touched them yet. Looks robust.

https://families.google.com/familylink/
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I am trying the ATT app, and instituting a no devices in the bedroom, I'll update in a few days.

As someone who grew up with the internet, you are going to have a damn hard time maintaining whatever parental controls you try and put on your kid's devices. If anything, it's going to strengthen their resolve to find ways around the filters. And there is always a way around them that a motivated teen can find/exploit. Controlling from the wifi/router seems like the best idea to me, but it's effectiveness ends once you are outside the home.

I'm on the side of limiting online access when young, but then turning them loose during their teen years.

Parental Control Apps, Who Is Using What?

Screen Time on iOS does the trick. I hate using it but it’s effective when needed.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

iOS (Screen Time, in Settings) and Windows 10 (account.microsoft.com/family) both have pretty good mechanisms, in the OS, for restricting access to certain times, limiting daily time, restricting access to certain apps, and/or the ability to turn on or off device access/functionality ad hoc at any time. With iOS, access can be controlled from a parent's iOS device, or (less ideally) from the kid's device. With Windows, access (to any Windows 10 devices that can be accessed via the kid's login credentials) can be controlled by the parent from any web client on any device (including an iPhone).

Both of these also allow monitoring of usage statistics (though I've found the Windows numbers are sometimes wrong).

For web content, iOS Screen Time offers a couple of general restriction choices, and the ability to roll your own website restrictions using white-list and black-list. Beyond that, you're in the realm of browser plug-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Get Google family link if you all have android devices.

We gave our kids (6 and 10) our old phones for xmas to use as mp3/spotify players on the wifi only. Total parental control of device on/off time, use time, and app installation all controlled from your phone and require parent approval or you can set limits on apps based on rating. The use time seems wonky and doesn't update to the parent's phone frequently enough for my liking, but controlling app installation and locking times is great.

It also has location tracking and internet filtering or individual site whitelisting, but we haven't touched them yet. Looks robust.

https://families.google.com/familylink/
    For Android, this is the answer. It works at the Google account level on both wifi and 4G. Also works on Chromebooks. We use with my kids and have a discussion before they get any devices. Devices stay in common rooms and no phones/computers in bedrooms. All charging is in the kitchen and devices get docked there at night and are locked overnight. We also have fingerprint access to all phones and let them know we will check things out. This has led to some really good conversations about friends/girlfriends, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am trying the ATT app, and instituting a no devices in the bedroom, I'll update in a few days.
    Yep, the wife and I have tried that one about a half dozen times, works for a day or two then right back to where it was before.

Our biggest success was putting usb outlets in the entry/mudroom, now all phones/electronics have to be plugged in out there before bed, no exceptions. My kids love me.

On iOS you can also disable their access from your phone on the fly as well as having set downtime limits. It’s great

This. We even had to go to charging all electronics in our bedroom at night. Because our 8th grader would just get up after we were in bed and get his phone from the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Gotta pile on to the no devices in bedroom bandwagon. No single rule is more critical. Fuck, I'd probably sleep more and better if someone would make that rule for my 40yr old ass. Come to think of it, I'm sitting on the couch cruising TGR right now when I have plenty of shit to do!

Fuck devices!

Seriously though, if my kid flipped me shit about that rule, I would smash that device with a sledge hammer while he watched and cried, and then wish him better luck with the next device, which he would become eligible for by hitting objective benchmarks for behavior, respect, and grades.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk