Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    second checking out Croatia or Montenegro- still coming back/ being rebuilt from massive shelling in the early 90's so not as over run
    We loved it.
    Dalmatian coast is on my bucket list. I have a colleague who is Croatian and goes back every other summer for a month. . This summer is his travel summer. I guess I'd better get my summer vacation in the calendar pronto.

I was in Bucharest this past August and it was hotter than fuck. 40 deg C. Sucks the air right out of your lungs. I didn't make it to the Black Sea, busy with work. While it would have been cool to say I had been, a bunch of people said don't bother, save your money for somewhere else, like Italy or Croatia. YMMV

Of course my idea of a beach vacation in Summer is Maine.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Split, kook.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Tenerife?
    Have you been there? One of my favorite places, but I windsurf.

I'd go back, but there are better beaches.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Where to rent a beach house in EU next summer?

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    second checking out Croatia or Montenegro- still coming back/ being rebuilt from massive shelling in the early 90's so not as over run
    We loved it.
    I’ll 3rd (4th?) Croatia. Island of Brac or further north on the Istrian coast.

And while Montenegro is cool to see, a week would be too much for me, still too Soviet block/developing feeling.

If you want to do it for cheap, Corfu is pretty sweet. A little too British in many parts, at least when I was there, but really cool place.

El Vendrell Spain

Cool little beach community southwest of Barcelona

Laid back, mountains and cultural stuff close, but can hang on a nice beach with a cool vibe

We went there two years ago and liked it so much we are planning an apartment there as a retirement hope and dream

Does it have to be on sea/ocean?

If not, how about Lake Como/Lugano?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor-tour View Post
    El Vendrell Spain

Cool little beach community southwest of Barcelona

Laid back, mountains and cultural stuff close, but can hang on a nice beach with a cool vibe

We went there two years ago and liked it so much we are planning an apartment there as a retirement hope and dream
    That's not a bad idea. Barcelona is cool, for sure, and there's Girona to the north. Mountains, ocean, hip city. I like it.

I've been watching the Vuelta the last few years on my flat screen (Spain's TDF like event, for you non cyclists), and they've hugged the coast a lot further south near Valencia, which also looks pretty nice. Betcha there's a ton of affordable condos on AirB&B. Further south in Andalusia is probably brutal hot in the summer. I'm pretty sure I'm heading down there next fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Cap d'Agde. LOL

“on my flat screen”. LOL
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Have you been there? One of my favorite places, but I windsurf.

I'd go back, but there are better beaches.
    The Florida of Europe. With fricking horrible traffic. (Teide of course is beyond rad though.) Also, I've never burnt so quickly anywhere else. Lack of ozone plus proximity to equator equals a couple gallons of aloe vera for my wonder-bread white ass.

Croatia is the go to place for my Austrian friends. They go there at least once a year, often more and it looks amazing.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Split, kook.
    i see what you did there

Almafi area?
    Positano
    Priano
    Almafi

?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Preferably off the beaten path but not so out there that we couldn’t roll a little sightseeing/kultcha intonit.
    Colder climates :

- South Norway : Amongst the fjords, easy to find a awesome hut. A lot of outdoor activities, expensive´ish, can be chilly.
    - W/N Denmark : Dunes, temperate climate, not that much to see tbh but a cool place to wind down. Coepenhagen is awesome.
    - Bretagne / Normandy : Astonishing by what I have heard, old & new culture, insane food & drinking.

Warmer climates :

- Croatia / Albania coast : Only heard good things regarding the price and scenery. Nature, old & new weird stuff.
    - Forget the Marseille to Toscana coast : Packed, expensive and touristy. Quieter places can be found but they are really rare.
    - Basque & N Portugal : Stunning places, excellent food, quiet spots can be found easily.
    - Sicily : Desolate and quiet places can be found. Food + Wine + Culture = Sorted.
    - Majorca : N majorca (Tramontina mountains) is nice, small towns like Soller & Valdemossa are cool. But, summer can be really touristy*.
    - Menorca : Can be bitch to get to but a nice (and small) island. Chill and kind of desolate areas. Have touron areas.

Atlantic Areas :

- Azores : Really, really cool place. You can feel that you are at the edge of the world. Sao Miguel is the main Island and has things to see for a week or so. Pico Island starts to be really remote and Flores Island... Definitely recommended if you are up to hiking, chilling and staring at the sea. But beware, Azores are remote and quite low key.

- Tenerife : Awesome if you are up to hiking, XC/DH or like the nature. Coastal areas are a total hell during the tourist season, like most (all) Canary Islands. Like, really, really bad. You can avoid that by taking a rental & AirBnB, as should be given to all the places I have mentioned.

That’s what I think- the wife says no
    To Corsica & Sicily??? For the love of god, why???!

Those two islands were the places I was about to recommend! Quite a few friends have been there, no bad things have been said. Rugged, down to earth, basic infra is sorted, extra ordinary quisine, lot to check out, awesome locals, scenery bar none. Dont know how populated the islands are in the European high season (end of june-beginning of sept) but they cant be more packed than any other coastal areas by the med nowadays.

But seriously? Why not?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Colder climates :

- South Norway : Amongst the fjords, easy to find a awesome hut. A lot of outdoor activities, expensive´ish, can be chilly.
    - W/N Denmark : Dunes, temperate climate, not that much to see tbh but a cool place to wind down. Coepenhagen is awesome.
    - Bretagne / Normandy : Astonishing by what I have heard, old & new culture, insane food & drinking.

Warmer climates :

- Croatia / Albania coast : Only heard good things regarding the price and scenery. Nature, old & new weird stuff.
    - Forget the Marseille to Toscana coast : Packed, expensive and touristy. Quieter places can be found but they are really rare.
    - Basque & N Portugal : Stunning places, excellent food, quiet spots can be found easily.
    - Sicily : Desolate and quiet places can be found. Food + Wine + Culture = Sorted.
    - Majorca : N majorca (Tramontina mountains) is nice, small towns like Soller & Valdemossa are cool. But, summer can be really touristy*.
    - Menorca : Can be bitch to get to but a nice (and small) island. Chill and kind of desolate areas. Have touron areas.

Atlantic Areas :

- Azores : Really, really cool place. You can feel that you are at the edge of the world. Sao Miguel is the main Island and has things to see for a week or so. Pico Island starts to be really remote and Flores Island... Definitely recommended if you are up to hiking, chilling and staring at the sea. But beware, Azores are remote and quite low key.

- Tenerife : Awesome if you are up to hiking, XC/DH or like the nature. Coastal areas are a total hell during the tourist season, like most (all) Canary Islands. Like, really, really bad. You can avoid that by taking a rental & AirBnB, as should be given to all the places I have mentioned.

To Corsica & Sicily??? For the love of god, why???!

Those two islands were the places I was about to recommend! Quite a few friends have been there, no bad things have been said. Rugged, down to earth, basic infra is sorted, extra ordinary quisine, lot to check out, awesome locals, scenery bar none. Dont know how populated the islands are in the European high season (end of june-beginning of sept) but they cant be more packed than any other coastal areas by the med nowadays.

But seriously? Why not?
    Yeah I dunno- she was there 100 years ago and I think had a weird experience. Probably with some other dude, ha ha.

Love all of these suggestions- thank you all.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Lac leman or the zurichsee? Or just Lake Geneva for a real foreign country

Where to rent a beach house in EU next summer?

Padstow, Cornwall. You haven’t lived until you’ve sat on the beach in a sweater or froze in the Irish Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That sounds like my sorta beach trip.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I have seen great photos of the Northern Polish Beaches. I would like to fly into Hamburg or Berlin and take a few weeks traveling up the North coast to St Petersburg and onward to Helsinki to fly home. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...52-Poland.html
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Preferably off the beaten path but not so out there that we couldn’t roll a little sightseeing/kultcha intonit.
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I have seen great photos of the Northern Polish Beaches. I would like to fly into Hamburg or Berlin and take a few weeks traveling up the North coast to St Petersburg and onward to Helsinki to fly home. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...52-Poland.html
    Seconded.

Really nice places in Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. That coastal area is cool with dunes, bunkers and whatnot. Heading there again this coming spring, planning to drive the coast from Tallin to Coepenhagen, maybe visit Rügen as well.

What's the season there, like three weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What's the season there, like three weeks?
    Like holiday season in general, or what?

N Europeans start at end of june until beginning of august, central & southern start mid july until end of august.
    So basically, med beach resorts are packed july-august.

No, that northern stuff. Poland? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No, that northern stuff. Poland? Really?
    Travel more, Benny. Live a little.