Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Military Field Liner Pants as Ski Base Layers

Any one tried wearing these as a warm layer under ski pants. I need an insulator so I can wear my shell pants and I see these are inexpensive at the surplus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	military field pant liners.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	310521
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	military field pant liners.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	310520  

probably work under shell pants for lift riding

too much insulation for touring

I use a shell pant with fleece pants for lift riding and those would work for me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think you'd need to wear them under snowboard pants, not ski pants.

that is the plan
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think you'd need to wear them under snowboard pants, not ski pants.

yes I am 100% thinking about cold days riding lifts. I was actually looking online for some sort of thick polar fleece shorts to wear over my long johns and stumbled across these
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    probably work under shell pants for lift riding

too much insulation for touring

I use a shell pant with fleece pants for lift riding and those would work for me

Military Field Liner Pants as Ski Base Layers

I have some BNWOT North Face Fleece pants (XL) (Charcoal) if anybody wants them??...Never worn, just sitting in my closet.

If any interest I can take pics...?
    Last edited by BC.; 01-14-2020 at 09:12 PM.

I duno why but fleece pants are not available ?

I used to be able to buy fleece pants (or leggings) in 100 , 200 , 300 weights in S (stretch) or not, used to wear them under shell pants for skiing, in dry suits, on their own hiking, they insulate when wet, they are quick drying, they are tough a very versitile piece of kit that I could use pretty much year round

everything now appears to be expensive/fragile merino at twice the price that falls apart if you look at it

Those look like the old school style EWCS pant liners.

I think they were hollow fill insulation and had buttons to attach to the inside of the shells.

They should work fine given how they fit into your shell pants. You may have to rig up some suspenders.
    watch out for snakes

I used to be able to buy fleece pants (or leggings) in 100 , 200 , 300 weights in S (stretch) or not, used to wear them under shell pants for skiing, in dry suits, on their own hiking, they insulate when wet, they are quick drying, they are tough a very versitile piece of kit that I could use pretty much year round

everything now appears to be expensive/fragile merino at twice the price that falls apart if you look at it
    I have some fleece pants but they are just as long as my ski shells. I like them for other stuff so I didn't want to cut them off. Can't seem to find the heavy fleece in shorts or a capri
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Those look like the old school style EWCS pant liners.

I think they were hollow fill insulation and had buttons to attach to the inside of the shells.

They should work fine given how they fit into your shell pants. You may have to rig up some suspenders.
    Yes, it says they are part of an old US military cold weather outfit. These say they are new in package and only $15 shipped so I sent the order. Should be here by the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    I have some fleece pants but they are just as long as my ski shells. I like them for other stuff so I didn't want to cut them off. Can't seem to find the heavy fleece in shorts or a capri ..
    Ya same here but i just bunch that extra material up around the tops of my boots and it has never been a problem

fortunately I got 5 pair of fleece pants which will last me until I am buried in which ever pair looks the best

I go to the local thrift shop once a week, (its beside my local bar) and I always look for fleece pants just for this reason. I have some nice ones, but want a pair I can wear under my shell pants and chop off at shin height.

even if you don't get fleece pants you can get a beer ... sounds pretty good

So how does MEC have 100+ items of mens base layers/ underwear, marketed/modeled in a politicaly correct manor by at least 5 racial profiles (even gingers) and not have any fleece pants ?

I find getting these difficult too. I am holding onto a pair I wear a lot. Weird they seem to be mostly gone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

even if you don't get fleece pants you can get a beer ... sounds pretty good

So how does MEC have 100+ items of mens base layers/ underwear, marketed/modeled in a politicaly correct manor by at least 5 racial profiles (even gingers) and not have any fleece pants ?
    Here decathlon has $5 fleece pants. I think those are the ones I saw in the summer and they are around 200 fleece. https://www.decathlon.ca/en/trousers...lcolor-8379082
    They also have lots of euro slim fit options.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I found those things to be terrible. 20% of their surface area are cold zippers.

The problem with searching online is that a lot of "Cotton Track Pants" are listed as "Fleece"

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5042-134/Trek-Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I find getting these difficult too. I am holding onto a pair I wear a lot. Weird they seem to be mostly gone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=me...t-use%3AHiking

For really cold weather I wear REI fleece pants over Kenyon Polartec power stretch base layer. (If the weather is just cold, the Kenyon base layer without the extra fleece. The kenyon expedition is very nice stuff an very reasonably priced. I'm not sure Kenyon still makes but still available on line

The old army liners would be great as long as you have room inside your shells. Thought about it myself more than once...
    Last edited by axebiker; 01-14-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Army surplus is great stuff. Note the pants my avatar is wearing (AF flight pants actually.)

I have a pair of those, they are pretty bulky, and sized large. Size down when ordering. They are liners, no fly zipper. Knicker length is nice, but I would only really wear when it's near zero. But they're cheap...

Dude.
    They make insulated ski pants. Lots of them. Maybe people near the west coast don't need them often, but I'm a big fan.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

1940 called, they want their pants back.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Dude.
    They make insulated ski pants. Lots of them. Maybe people near the west coast don't need them often, but I'm a big fan.
    Insulated ski pants are bulkier, they are heavier, they are usually not as well made, they are usually not as well designed, they are good for skiing only, i'm betting you can't take them off without 1st taking off your ski boots

seperate shell with full side zips + insulation are not that ^^

What's the weight of these? Being so cheap, if they're light they'd at least be a good emergency pant to keep in the pack for ski touring in polar cold conditions.
    Master of mediocrity.