Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I hope to update to Hakk 8s or 9 this winter but have been using a Federal studded tire on the Subaru. My friend who also drives a Subaru with non studded was blown away by how I was able to drive in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Good to know. My outback is oddly loud.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It’s a Subaru...

I mean even compared to other Subarus..

I think I need a new tack weld on my muffler.

Anyone running Bridgestone Ecopias?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ... No idea if the Hakka 8 will be discounted in light of the Hakka 9 release - but that'd be pretty easy to verify if you try to buy them. Quick eBay search says the 8 and 9 are selling for about the same price in the Gen 5 Outback size (225/65R17).
    I seem to recall reading that the Nordman line is the beneficiary of the previous model (i.e Hakka 8), but i may be wrong about this.

It's kind of inverted thinking that someone like me (living in the Front Range) would think about studs, due to long, dry spells like those experienced in Durango.

What opened my eyes to this was the harder, longer wearing rubber. Even the R2s gave me a bit more than 35k miles, but getting even more would be better ;-)

Those R2s were the first snows I've run in 25 years (since I started running AWD cars). I was always an all weather/4 season advocate until experiencing dedicated snows.

It's just another one of those risk tolerance things - marginal (if any) cost increase per mile, plus storage hassle in exchange for even more of a safety margin. Its hard to go backwards. Everyone answers this question differently, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    ... WADOT has recently godecided they hate studded tires and has kept us from getting the season extended even when there is a blizzard in the passes the first week of April. I guess they prefer pulling cars and bodies out of the ditches and crashes to repairing pavement in the summer. It’s pretty petty for a State with high gas taxes and almost always requires you to cross the transition zone. End rant
    Well, that sucks.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-28-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Just replaced my WRG3 tires at almost exactly 60k. Very happy overall, and looking forward to another 60k with the new tires.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

How do Hakka 8/9s fare in the last 25% of their tread life? Is the stud effect still useful?

I imagine that studs wear down level with the rubber fairly quickly, and that the rubber compressing is what allows them to "bite' into ice.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-28-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Galibier Design

mostly what happens is the studs all get ripped out of the tire
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    mostly what happens is the studs all get ripped out of the tire
    Erf! I wonder how many "spit studs" are a result of going past the 3mm tread point. It's surely something to be aware of. Thanks.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-26-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    Galibier Design

I have a 1996 Honda Civic with a nice body kit, wing, and a really great exhaust. Can I run all-seasons on my 20" rims and still make it to Killington on the weekends without disrupting my neon flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty.Harry. View Post
    I have a 1996 Honda Civic with a nice body kit, wing, and a really great exhaust. Can I run all-seasons on my 20" rims and still make it to Killington on the weekends without disrupting my neon flow?
    Should be good to go, but you might wanna check with Greg over at Alpine Zone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty.Harry. View Post
    Only if stanced. How low can you go?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

check out this hilarious, dramatic vid endorsing the new Hakka 9:

^^Nokian makes absurdly dramatic product videos. Reminds me of this one from comcast:

"Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Doesnt even show the tire in action..

If you didnt see the last 2 seconds of the commercial, you would have no idea its about tires.

LOL, reminds me of Mr. Plow.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Thought about this again while driving in to work -- my neighborhood is covered with packed snow and ice, but 4 miles away and for the entire rest of the drive, it's all totally dry pavement. My General Altimax Arctics on an AWD car are overkill for this.

Some new (to me) tires for passenger cars, with the 3PMSF mountain snowflake rating, but not winter tire compound -- IOW, these are all-seasons with a tilt towards snow effectiveness:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=231

I could definitely see myself using one of these as a "winter" tire, while keeping a 3-season set of tires too.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hakka 9's mounted on December 9th. Waiting for real snow now.

My biggest concern was noise on dry pavement (fully expecting better ice performance than my amazing Hakka R2's) and they've passed that test. It took me about a week to get used to the funny sound of studs on dry pavement and now it's part of the background and I'm fine with it.

Mini-test on Loveland Pass last week, but nothing really challenging - seeking out a few icy patches and hitting the brakes (seemed fine).

Handling on dry pavement is too close to call with respect to Hakka R2's - similar feeling on my '08 Outback (squishy in comparison with all weather Nokian WR G3's, but that's to be expected with any Winter tire).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Nokian Hakka studded in the winter and Michelin pilot super sport during the summer. The only way to go. Takes 20 min to swap them.

We had Nokian WRG3 tires on my wife's VW Touareg for year round use. I gotta say they were pretty incredible, those tires got us through some scary storms and were still quiet and grippy in summer temps That car is gone and now both our cars (GTI and Alltrack wagon) wear General Articmax winter tires. Comparing the Nokian "all weathers" with snows is difficult - the all weather tires are just as good in the winter as the dedicated snows. The only rub the with Nokians was the price and the shorter than expected tread life.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Nokian Hakka studded in the winter and Michelin pilot super sport during the summer. The only way to go. Takes 20 min to swap them.
    I don't doubt that this combo provides great performance in winter, and great performance in summer. The problem is what to do about the shoulder seasons? Early-fall snowstorm while still on PSS? Or swap to studded snows in October, and squirm around in 75* daytime high temps?

I use a so-called "ultra high performance" all-season for my 3-season tire -- cheaper than true summer tires, and won't be terrifying in a freak snowstorm.

My next vehicle will probably be something I can use SUV/truck size tires on, so I probably won't bother with a true winter tire set. Maybe just use a 3PMSF all-terrain and call it good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ... The problem is what to do about the shoulder seasons? Early-fall snowstorm while still on PSS? Or swap to studded snows in October, and squirm around in 75* daytime high temps?
    Yeah, the shoulder seasons are a challenge, and that can encompass 3 months between Fall and Spring. I currently have the Nokian WR G3's for this purpose. I don't know how I'll approach this when the time comes to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    We had Nokian WRG3 tires on my wife's VW Touareg for year round use. I gotta say they were pretty incredible, those tires got us through some scary storms and were still quiet and grippy in summer temps That car is gone and now both our cars (GTI and Alltrack wagon) wear General Articmax winter tires. Comparing the Nokian "all weathers" with snows is difficult - the all weather tires are just as good in the winter as the dedicated snows. The only rub the with Nokians was the price and the shorter than expected tread life.
    I got incredible life out of my Hakka R2's (37,000 miles, with a LOT of shoulder season abuse). In my experience, the WR G3's are only "OK" in snow when compared with the R2's - very nice for all "weather" tires, but they don't hold a candle to the Hakka R2s.

It's same the old "problem" - once you experience better, you don't go back, whether it's 60mm wide skis or all season tires.

As good as your WR G3s are, I'll bet you'll really love your Arctic Altimax's even more when you get to put them through their paces.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-21-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    Galibier Design

I don't doubt that this combo provides great performance in winter, and great performance in summer. The problem is what to do about the shoulder seasons? Early-fall snowstorm while still on PSS? Or swap to studded snows in October, and squirm around in 75* daytime high temps?

I use a so-called "ultra high performance" all-season for my 3-season tire -- cheaper than true summer tires, and won't be terrifying in a freak snowstorm.

My next vehicle will probably be something I can use SUV/truck size tires on, so I probably won't bother with a true winter tire set. Maybe just use a 3PMSF all-terrain and call it good enough.
    This is exactly what I did with my Subie Legacy GT. Shoulder seasons sucked with the OEM summers and winter tire swap, so when they wore out I got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 UHP all seasons and then swapped them w my winter tires later into the beginning of winter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

"All weather" tires in place of winter tires

My WR G3’s wore out much faster than I had hoped due to trailer towing, off pavement and AWD.

Based on a local store’s experience with both the WR G3’s quicker wear and Toyo Celsius’ longer wear, I pulled the trigger on the Celsius. I hope they are as versatile as the WR G3s.

Also, hopefully this ‘extended shoulder’ season ends this week. I think tooling around on dedicated snows over the past month would have increased the ‘no snow’ angst.

Happy and Safe Holidays, full of face shots, for all!

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I swap for Nokian Hakkas in October, as that is when it's usually freezing degrees in Norway. And since I drive over a lot of mountain passes, I tend to keep them on to end of April or beginning of May. Depending on the season and what my plans are. November is full winter here anyway, so the putting them on in October isn't really a problem for me.

In the spring, I do think it's a bit boring to drive the Hakkas all the way to May, as the car is a lot more fun to drive on PSS. If I didn't ski, I would probably swap mid April as in the lower elevations, that will be dry and not freezing.