Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    never bro
    been twenty plus years of pure awesomness
    don't puss out and throw in the towel
    just think how few people actually make it in a ski town, you know your a 1% right?
    FastFred speaks the truth.

I stuck it out, living a great life up here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

How much money/income does one need to live in one of theses cool places?

How long have you been in Ikon land? 2 years? Stick around.

Failing that, there are other places in the legit mountains, perhaps slightly less spectacular but maybe even in the same state, where the job market is better and the living is cheaper.

When did you "throw in the towel"?

Throw in the towel, the thread

How pathetic.

Op, either ask for the money or you’ll never get what you want
    Last edited by digitaldeath; 07-09-2019 at 01:50 AM.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

No matter how old you are, the grind is still the grind.

You just have to pick your place. And I feel your pain, mind you.

Just need to find another bean to grind. You'll get a good itch and it will become a clear focus, or at least a distraction. I honestly wish you good fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    What's this reality stuff? How much does it cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Marry Up
    The reality of marrying up is it costs a little bit of your soul pretty frequently. You will give up a little piece of yourself regularly in the compromise it takes to sustain that marriage. I know...

Ehh, stick it out and live low for a while. You're in a great place and there is bound to be an opportunity you just have to be there to take advantage of it. That opportunity may be something you never would have expected, it may blindside you so hard it hurts. I do wonder though about some of the people I hung out with 30 years ago in Steamboat that are still tuning skis and turning wrenches at ~60 and how those opportunities didn't find them. Was it their fault or were there just too few great chances to "hit it"? Are they going to be able to retire or will they work right up to the end...

I sure hope this isn't Parvo. If he left JH and moved to San Antonio with the new gf this place would loose a piece of itself.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I never had a towel to throw. Does that put me ahead or behind?

Plan C: sell everything except the bikes and skis, live in a van by the river and get a job with your local FD. They'll give you a place to shower and sleep 10 nights a month and you can still retire in your mid-fifties. Seems most mid-size and up departments in the intermountain west are having trouble recruiting and retaining lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I sure hope this isn't Parvo. If he left JH and moved to San Antonio with the new gf this place would loose a piece of itself.
    But he would have access to the jet so there’s that.
    I still call it The Jake.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    bout 96 mr millers voice in the back of my head made me realize i was yet another year older and had the life skills to hit the road in a slightly comfortable manner and unleash the inner bum and work on the life skills that mattered more to me
    and threw in the towel and headed west from the windy city to the slc
    convincing the better 1/2 to marry down didnt hurt
    neither did the lame ass work ethic here
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I never had a towel to throw. Does that put me ahead or behind?

ahead, ever meet anyone whose lived in a ski town their whole life?

I"m ready to throw the towel in also
    but it aint' happening no matter how hard I try and want too
    how the fuck does anyone function in the real world
    this is la la land and it's a joke, rather be living a joke than grinding it out in the real world
    if I get high right now I think I'll be somewhat clear headed by one

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    How much money/income does one need to live in one of theses cool places?
    according to benny a trust fund for colorado

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i don’t think weeds your problem. i actually recommend getting baked before every meeting just to set a proper baseline. if they never see ya not baked then you are golden.
    a good buddy of mine lives by that "how would anyone know I'm high cause I'm high all the time" says the guy with a million dollar plus business three great kids and a wife
    the world is what you make of it

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Exactly how old are you, graybeard? It’s all ball bearings nowadays.
    Both of you old as fucks don’t even know it’s all algorithms these days. In fact most people on here are actually algorithms. Including digital death.

You have to take a hard look inside yourself and really ask yourself what you want to be when you are 50, 60, 70yrs old. If you are ok with living the same life then stick it out. For me, I threw in the towel twice and have no regrets. 1st time was just at the end of college and living the ski bum life. I took a hard look around at the older ski bums and realized that I couldn't do it, I needed the security of knowing where my next paycheck or meal was coming from. I left town and took a real job in Portland, OR.

2nd time was 4yrs later, come back to Missoula, have a nice banking mgmt job and running my own branch. Built a house and realized that at 29 this would be my life, which was pretty good. However, I wanted to see the world. I distinctly remember telling my wife that "we are in the perfect location, but 30yrs too early). I jumped up the corporate ladder and moved around a lot....no skiing except xmas holidays for a few years. Kids, new hobbies and new locations kept us happy.

Flash forward to 30yrs from college, still with the same company, nice work from home job, nice retirement account, no worries and finally moved back to Missoula. I missed a bunch of skiing, but really embraced cycling over those years. I made sacrifices, but I can honestly say that the inward introspection at age 24 really made me realize that I wanted the financial security that staying in one place wouldn't allow me to have. A piece of me looks at those that kept with the bum life with envy, but those are the trade-offs.

end blog/

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Plan C: ...get a job with your local FD. They'll give you a place to shower and sleep 10 nights a month and you can still retire in your mid-fifties. Seems most mid-size and up departments in the intermountain west are having trouble recruiting and retaining lately.
    Here you go. Not everyone in a mountain town is a bum. There are some decent jobs, though it might take a while to get signed on.

I got into wildland fire, I had to move around some, but I was always near enough to some kind of skiing. I had a forestry degree (and some talent), which was crucial to moving up the ladder when being gone and waking up on the ground all summer got old.

I ended up having to throw in the towel, but I think what it boils down to is do you have a family you have to feed or not?

If I had no family to support, I would've figured something out and would have stuck it out. I can do poor dirtbag for a long time until I get something long-term figured out. That doesn't work when you have a wife and two babies at home, a giant ass mortgage (or rent payment), and out of control business expenses. If you're fairly unencumbered by family and expenses, then yeah! Go for it, stick it out, make it work. I wish I could've stuck around longer. I miss the mountains badly. I'm back in the big city, far removed from the mountains, and while there are waaaaaaay more economic opportunities and life is much easier in regard to that, I'm also a casualty that can't help but feel defeated. Don't be me. Go forth and conquer.

That said, we need more details. Where are you? What are you thinking about pursuing? Etc. We can all help guide you more accurately if you allow us to. However, that'd still be based on our own anecdotal pasts. No matter what, you'll always have to find your own way, but dammit if only somebody told me what I would be up against when I decided to start my business that sure would've been nice, and I would've figured something else out. Cronyism is a powerful thing apparently. I've learned just how phony and fake people can be in a small resort town. On the surface it's all glitter and gold, but underneath there's backstabbing and sliminess, but all with a smile. It's tough not to be bitter at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    <snip>
    And to add, I bet I can guess who this is but I won't. But OP, check your regular inbox and if I guessed right you owe me a beer.
    Shit - took all of 8 seconds to figure out who it was.

I just threw some towels in

to the washing machine.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I just threw some towels in

to the washing machine.
    that reminds me
    whats the diffence between a washing machine and a chick?
    a washingmachine doesn't follow you around after you put your load in it

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I ended up having to throw in the towel, but I think what it boils down to is do you have a family you have to feed or not?

Cronyism is a powerful thing apparently. I've learned just how phony and fake people can be in a small resort town. On the surface it's all glitter and gold, but underneath there's backstabbing and sliminess, but all with a smile. It's tough not to be bitter at times.
    yup, all the way, had to stand there and smile laugh and slap someone on the back a couple nights ago guys a moron but he makes my life easy so that's why we're friends
    it's all about who you know not what you know

if ski town living was easy every idiot would be here oh wait they are but they just last a year gone and replaced by the next one to take their place endless cycle

Please note that I am purely speaking out of my ass here, but if you do have some existing investments or a good chance of family money coming to you eventually, and if you don't have kids, why don't you just say fuck it, stop worrying, and try to get a job doing some kind of construction trade? if you're reliable and strong, maybe a contractor is desperate enough to hire you with no skills. you can keep some cash flowing in and gradually learn a new business.

seems like mountain towns have a lot of ex-bums who did construction or landscaping out of convenience years ago and then eventually through hard work, smarts, and sheer luck stumbled into a position where they could run businesses in that field. I have no clue if that's a realistic hope but others here have been there/done that and could tell you.

worst case scenario is that you meet a lot more people and make connections and make a little money for a bit. or maybe you can't just "work construction" in your mid 30s with no skills or wages aren't as high as I'm assuming in your town. or maybe you want stability and a high-paying office job and this idea sounds terrible. or maybe you'll get slaughtered as an unskilled laborer when the market crashes. idk.

if you aren't into fly fishing, get into that, because then you'll have a much harder time leaving a mountain town and your decision will be that much easier.

^^^ that's good advice, but the guys I met while doing that were addicts and ex-cons. They thought I was the one who had their shit together.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    And this is different in the RW how? Dog poop under the door handle happens nationwide.
    There's a HUGE difference now that I'm in a big city. Now you can be real with people because you're likely never, ever going to run across them again. If a business or an acquaintance does you wrong, you can openly call them out on it. In a small town, every pretends to be all nicey nice, but there is NO loyalty except to the machine. In that town, seems that near everyone's "bent the knee" to the powers that be, and if you aren't an all out ass kisser, take objection to getting effed over, and don't want to stay quiet about what's going on around you, then you're out. It's a bizarre dynamic. The fear that people have of pissing off the wrong people is palpable. THAT'S the difference between the RW and a small resort town: Anonymity. You're free to be honest with people you interact with.

On my 25th birthday I woke up, realized I was one missed paycheck from being evicted or not being able to feed my 3 year old as a single dad. Rode my bike to the local college, some of my racing buddies were in admissions and said just sign up, we’ll juggle the paperwork until student loans can come through. School started in 2 days. Fast forward...4 years of college in 2 years by crushing myself. Then Med school, residency and now I can live wherever the fuck I want. I think it was worth the pain and expense but you need to take a hard look before signing up.

I rip the groomed on tele gear