Page 34 of 101 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    The nasty gravel section is mercifully short, and I don't think any sane person would ride the NW shore more than once in a lifetime voluntarily. Luckily it is avoidable for next time

Barely the Wasatch, but anyone been riding iStreet recently? With the little bit of rain/snow we've gotten down in the valley over the last few weeks the "dirt" (sand) has been so nice.

went BST north of 12th here in Ogden. busiest day of the year for me, possibly the busiest i have ever seen . 2pm 40 degrees, should have known better.

riding flats for the first time in a year is always fun and the hard tail mullet was a blast so not all bad.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The nasty gravel section is mercifully short, and I don't think any sane person would ride the NW shore more than once in a lifetime voluntarily. Luckily it is avoidable for next time
    Shit I like the tech on the NW side, I was actually looking forward to doing it again on this year's ride. I think the 3 spots I can't clear are forever beyond my reach but the rest is a fun challenge...

Rode a perfect BST loop last Tuesday, temps were exactly right, dirt was reasonably tacky, and once I got on the N side of CityCreek no people were encountered. I somehow managed to bypass all of the good section of Lost Lad by getting on what I thought was an alternate line but really is the uphill option. The cost of that mistake was having to go back up Tower road for a proper repeat.
    The lower gully on Lost Lad is all time fun. Like an old school narrow Bobsled.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The most Utah County bike pic ever?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201128_130829_008_saved.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	350473

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The lower gully on Lost Lad is all time fun. Like an old school narrow Bobsled.
    I rode that for the first time the other day and completely agree, even with an inch of snow on it. Probably my new favorite foothill trail. I think it’s time to put the bike away for a bit, but goddamn the lower elevation riding has been excellent.

Name:	IMG_5612.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	350497

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The most Utah County bike pic ever?

Name:	20201128_130829_008_saved.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	350473
    I was gonna say it needs a church steeple in the background....but then I zoomed in. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	foothills2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	350533

Name:	foothills.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	350534

one of those days

Anyone hit coyote in the last week? Looking for something other than skiing with the frustrating lack of snow,

Name:	IMG_4057.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	357912

Name:	IMG_4058.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	357913

Could be worse. This spot by my house is seeing some new building.

That definitely looks a lot different than the last time I was there. Tubeless is mandatory, that place is like the goathead mothership.

Yup, I was pleasantly surprised when I rolled up. I thought I was just getting the dogs some exercise and practicing my terrible wheelies but to my surprise there was new and bigger jumps all over the place. It's still a bit in progress, one of the kids who's doing the building was there and saying they've been having some issues recently with people tearing stuff down which is a bummer.

Last weekend on Shoreline:

Name:	PXL_20210110_223746652.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	358044

Name:	PXL_20210110_231842036.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	358045

Other than having to carry the bike a bit longer than usual on the climb to Twin Peaks and dealing with the occasional patch of gnarly ice or mud you could tell me it's November and I'd believe it.
    Grandview way back there is doing its best to pretend it's winter but isn't fooling anyone.

The new climbing trail out of City Creek to I street blows dongs in case anyone's wondering. At least it's directional...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The new climbing trail out of City Creek to I street blows dongs in case anyone's wondering. At least it's directional...
    Well that bodes well for all the new trail they're going to build out there....

How bad does it suck? Was debating riding the gravel bike on a longer one Sunday, including that....

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Wasatch Dirt Thread

beware the mud below aves twin peaks above mini puke hill. it’s “get off and walk” bad and it’s hard even to walk through. and I grew up someplace with a mud season.

otherwise besides the occasional icy bit the shoreline is nice from zoo to cc

We need some fucking snow.

Well that bodes well for all the new trail they're going to build out there....
    The bulk of the new trails look relatively promising I think, probably not super interesting machine built-stuff but at least it will be novel and the old trails aren't exactly that stimulating...

I was looking forward to the new option to climb to I-street as the historical trail is a nasty grind that I always do at the end of a ride and it crushes me. From the bottom of CC to the top of Twin Peaks is one of my go-to pain caves and I was hoping the new section would make it more tolerable. It happens to be cut through some really steep gravely sidehills and the trail surface is sandy and loose in spots for now. There are also some really tight steep switchbacks that I can barely clean on a long bike. It's definitely easier than the old trail but not happy times either, I think it will be a nice option to save some legs on longer rides but not something I'll ever be excited to ride.
    I wonder how it will fare the first time we get some heavy rains (assuming that ever happens again), the first half is in terrain that doesn't have trees and shows signs of serious erosion, I wouldn't be surprised if sections get wiped out in a downpour.

Walked up the new downhill trail yesterday, interesting but looks to be just “fine”. The new climb looks heinous

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Dan, your dream may come true: https://www.ksl.com/article/50096096...-endanger-them

I love this comment:

"Rep. Merrill Nelson, R-Grantsville, who voted against the bill, wondered why the change couldn't apply to cars.

"It seems to me like one of your reasons for the exception here is that, if the intersection is clear ... why not just let them glide through? Why couldn't we apply that same exemption to vehicles?"

Because cars have blind spots and a mistake could be fatal to others walking across an intersection, you dumb motherfucker.

That bill has passed out of committee every year for the last 3-4 years and has never gotten a floor vote. I'm not holding my breath.

The article has been up for 3 hours and has 130 comments already. They're as predictable as you'd imagine, with frequent unrelated ranting about bikes in the the canyons and stupid liberals. This is my favorite:

"Cyclers on the roadways are a blight in the community. Car drivers have enough to watch out for (I am not talking about distractions like phones) on the road without having bicycles in the mix. Use the sidewalks. Widen sidewalks to include the bicycle lane and to observe pedestrian crosswalks."

Most drivers encounter yield signs so infrequently I'm pretty sure most of them have no idea what "treat a stop sign as a yield sign" actually means. This liberal hippie bullshit from *checks notes* Idaho will not stand!

"Cyclers on the roadways are a blight in the community. Car drivers have enough to watch out for (I am not talking about distractions like phones) on the road without having bicycles in the mix. Use the sidewalks. Widen sidewalks to include the bicycle lane and to observe pedestrian crosswalks."

Most drivers encounter yield signs so infrequently I'm pretty sure most of them have no idea what "treat a stop sign as a yield sign" actually means.
    Oof.

And yeah, you are absolutely correct about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    "Rep. Merrill Nelson, R-Grantsville, who voted against the bill, wondered why the change couldn't apply to cars.

"It seems to me like one of your reasons for the exception here is that, if the intersection is clear ... why not just let them glide through? Why couldn't we apply that same exemption to vehicles?"
    lol. there was some clown in cottonwood heights area who proposed letting cars drive through red lights at night as I recall.

the average UT driver seems only barely able to stay within the lines and remember which pedal does what, I don't think we need to be loosening the traffic laws for them...

That bill has passed out of committee every year for the last 3-4 years and has never gotten a floor vote. I'm not holding my breath.

The article has been up for 3 hours and has 130 comments already. They're as predictable as you'd imagine, with frequent unrelated ranting about bikes in the the canyons and stupid liberals. This is my favorite:

Most drivers encounter yield signs so infrequently I'm pretty sure most of them have no idea what "treat a stop sign as a yield sign" actually means. This liberal hippie bullshit from *checks notes* Idaho will not stand!
    Ah, didn't know this wasn't the first year.

I used to think KSL comments were just the dumbest of the dumb, but in the past year or so I've finally, finally realized these dumbasses represent most of America.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    the average UT driver seems only barely able to stay within the lines and remember which pedal does what, I don't think we need to be loosening the traffic laws for them...
    I could show you a video that proves this is false. Lol

I laughed at the cars running red lights thing when it was proposed because I understood the reason. There are a bunch of f'ed up lights in the south end of the valley that don't work right, especially at night with no other traffic. Seems easier than actually fixing the problem, right?