Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Brighton.
    Laughin!!!!
    footnote: for Brighton, I meant snowboarders only, and about 15 years ago. I saw some dudes doing some crazy stuff on the jumps under the ski lift. It's probably different now.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Last winter didn't hit at Baldy? It sure was good here in AZ.
    I haven't been a Baldy guy for over a decade. Maybe I'm mistaken and a SoCal mag can post some stoke.

For best, what hill do the pros go to? Jackson? CB?

The worst? Okemo on Sunday when the Orthodox Jews hit the hill. It's a cataclysm when the long black skirts take to the hill en masse. In fact I'll nominate Okemo for the rest of the week too.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    The worst I’ve personally experienced was at Huntah
    IMO Hunter gets an undeserved bad rap for this. They manage to keep beginners in one spot, but when they wander off to the backside...oh, no...look out below.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    For best, what hill do the pros go to?.
    They go to wherever has the best snow and stable conditions at any time, those bastards. Where do they pick to live? More of a social choice combined with terrain/snow.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I would normally say that if you don't have the terrain, you don't have the good skiers. But in 1996 I went to Valdez to ski, and went to the shitty hotel where they posted the WESC results and saw Davenport's name and Aspen as his hometown. Who and the fuck can ski from Aspen? I guess he didn't spend a lot of time at the resort.
    Fight me

Quote Originally Posted by steeznutz View Post
    footnote: for Brighton, I meant snowboarders only, and about 15 years ago. I saw some dudes doing some crazy stuff on the jumps under the ski lift. It's probably different now.
    Makes sense, that was when JP Walker and the Forum boys were in their heyday.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Fight me
    Or just ski with anyone of us?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    it was an absolute joy skiing with you and your friends last year. ripping skiers all of you!
    aw, yeah it was a ripping weekend all around! and fun to ski... and eat.... and things with all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Whistler's average is declining, in addition to the large amount of rich tourists I feel like so many of the newer locals are not even that in to it either, just here for their gap year(s) from UK or Australia to give a try, but mostly drink/party/take Instagram shots at Joffre lakes etc. Don't feel like I've met as many kids moving here, slaving away at a restaurant or whatever and skiing 100+ days.

Also I have heard some stories from down unda that could put the Australian ski hills on the list for worst too

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Agreed with all that.
    Was thinking about this today on the chair. More gapers than decent skiers on blackcomb, I imagine Whistler is even worse.

Best (try to keep up with the locals, good luck) to me was CB, with JH a close second.

Worst (I am definitely the best skier here today, which ain't a good thing for the average) to me is always Keystone or Vail. I have been lucky enough to never have skied further East than Eldora/Taos, thank God, so no comment on " the East" or Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Aspen Mountain has 0 green runs.

Highest percentage of 100 day a year skiers/ to pass sales, in North America.

We have eight days of lift served left, eleven if they open at Memorial Day. Well over a thousand non-employee, pass holders have 100 days so far.

I was told Jackson had 130.

Anyone know what numbers are for Whistler, Snowbird or Squaw?

A lot depends on the year. There will be a ton at Squaw with 100+ days this year since the place will be open for so long. A thousand at Aspen seems pretty crazy / impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    Best (try to keep up with the locals, good luck) to me was CB, with JH a close second.

I would be a much better skier if CB was my home hill.
    Vail does have some really bad skiers, but they are not locals...or they are new "locals". Fortunately the bad skiers typically stick to their terrain.

Alta/Snowbird is stacked with Talent

really ,never seen so many Rippers on one mountain anywhere else in N America
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

I think Alta/Snowbird, Squawlpine, and Jackson are all very similar. Tons of talent everywhere... and some tourists thrown in depending on the day.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Heavenly on a weekend is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    Heavenly on a weekend is the worst.
    actually ,on a Powder day it seemed pretty chill

there was so much snow .the Gapers were stuck everywhere!!!!
    ….it was enough snow ,there was no grooming on top 1/2 of the entire mountain , that time;
    ….so you had choice of all the best terrain that day
    -I loved the mellow Forest with the huge Trees! Like skiing in Middle Earth-

I hear ya though >the geeks swerving into peoples fall lines, are over the top gaper - on most days there
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post

Particularly late season snowbird trams after all the rest of the ski areas have shut down for the year, rippers are migrating over from all over the wasatch and casual skiers are done.

I ski CB now, and while the terrain dictates that most locals are very good skiers, there really aren't as many locals as a place like Alta/Bird, and there are a lottttt of Texans bringing the average down. Skied Alta last year, and there are way more good skiers, even if there are more total skiers. I feel like most of the gapers/tourists go to the Bird (where there are also plenty of rad skiers) and bring their average down more than Alta.

As far as worst, Monarch has to be right up there. Went up there for donation day this year, and me and my buddy were finding all sorts of fresh in the trees. At the bottom we asked the liftie when it last snowed: "uhhh 4 days ago?" I say damn theres plenty of fresh left up there! And he goes: "there is?" Like bro did you ever venture 4 feet off the groomers? Every mountain including Monarch has a few rippers, but I have never been to a mountain with fewer competent skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    ...in the less-educated and cululted western part of the continent.
    Ironic spelling mistakes. That's so Killington.

You guys should see this place on a busy weekend.

Them desert dwellers from the valley go full rehtard at elevation.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post

SO I have spent a ton of days at both since 1984 & agree it has its share but as average, I think Jackson or honestly......

Schweitzer Mountain

Now, I have never been there and maybe the family dynamic lowers its score on a normal day but every skier I have met from there ( Bridger close second) absolutely fucking rips. Of course many of them I met @ Snowbird or Alta, so above point is valid. I just have always been amazed that that mtn produced so many rippers

Aspen Mtn ( Ajax) def makes the top 5 list. Very few gapers ( where would they ski?) and a lot of bell to bell locals.

Maybe not the best average skiers, but the largest collection of great skiers? I’d have to pick Jackson and Squaw. The biggest collection of great snowboarders, I’m picking Bachelor.

I found the skiers at Sun Valley to be generally all pretty adept at riding lifts and carving up the groomers. That must count for something.

WTH happened to STFU?
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!