Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    I go with Ed Hilary, who isn't exactly an armchair quarterback. "I think the whole attitude towards climbing Mount Everest has become rather horrifying."
    We're looking into doing Everest this summer via Disney Adventures. They have a great track record and keep the campsites so clean. My kids love the thought of having breakfast with the Princesses while at 25,000' and my wife is psyched for the "Massage at the Summit". I know it's expensive, but I really want to go with the pros.

Plus, they offer exclusive VIP access, authentic experiences and have the friendliest guides: http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/i...fALifetimePage
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom-tele View Post
    the point was being spoon fed and dragged up a mountain maybe isn't the best way to say you made it to the top of the world

good luck on your journey

100% agree. I'm torn about how I feel torwards the "affluent adventurist". One one hand it's like "fuck me, they're doing it because they can afford it and not for actually wanting to do it. What I mean is, sure they wanna do it cause they're there to climb it but if they didn't see it in a magazine and saw they could afford it would they still be climbing?

The other part of me thinks some of these people really do have a passion for the hills, they just make a piss load of cash.

Thanks for the luck. The trip will make an epic TR for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    We're looking into doing Everest this summer via Disney Adventures. They have a great track record and keep the campsites so clean. My kids love the thought of having breakfast with the Princesses while at 25,000' and my wife is psyched for the "Massage at the Summit". I know it's expensive, but I really want to go with the pros.

Plus, they offer exclusive VIP access, authentic experiences and have the friendliest guides: http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/i...fALifetimePage

I loled.
    The best things in life aren't things.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Plus, they offer exclusive VIP access, authentic experiences and have the friendliest guides
    Don't forget they send a sherpa ahead to throw sheets over all the dead bodies so you don't need to look at them!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Don't forget they send a sherpa ahead to throw sheets over all the dead bodies so you don't need to look at them!
    Only if you opt out of the "Ghosts and ghouls of the mountain" option.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

I thought that was a photo essay of the High T.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^^ hahahahahahahahahahha^

lets get real, they were with a double amputee who the knew they would have to help down. their loyalty was with the person who gave them money.

was i the only one who saw the part where Mark Inglis relied on a LOT of help and was even carried down the last bit.

and fucking christ the guy who died was alive when they returned on the way down, 9 hours later. how can you be too far gone yet still be alive 9 hours later with no help?

Mark Inglis's team also had a agenda and a film to make, lot of money riding on the summit. you dont get paid to rescue a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post

This is easily one of the most common misconceptions about climbing Everest. Everyone wants to believe what the read in a book about one route on the mountain. Sure, if you want to basically be short roped and hand fed the entire route up then, be my guest, pay $65,000 for someone to help you out with that. Climbing from the Tibetan side, on the other hand, while not extrememly affordable, is FAR from the $65,000 charged by guiding agencies to climb the other standard route from Nepal.

I know it's not something that 99.9% of people even give a shit about (meaning the cost of climbing Everest) but a tad of research would reveal that there's more than one way to skin that bad cat.
    To me its not only the cost (and total inexperience HA), and even if you can get it under that "$60K", how much lower???? $20K? Still a huge nut if you ask me. The real kicker for me is the MONTHS you have to devote to this. You dont just go up...summit and leave in a week...

Cost aside this is still a much bigger hurdle for me IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    you dont get paid to rescue a stranger.

You also don't get paid to die trying to rescue a stranger. At that altitude you can barely function yourself WITH supplemental O's much less try to help down a grown man with 30lbs of gear on. Climbing and descending is no joke and I'm sure the majority of people, having the proper tools and about 10 of their closest friends, would jump at the chance to help save someone's life close to the summit of Everest. However, the simple truth is, above 8000m you need to save yourself before worrying about helping down a fellow climber who got himself in that position. Remember, he chose to climb without sherpa support and without a guide.

In no way would I just leave someone to die on a mountain but if it comes down to you or you AND me...Call me heartless, a dick, a douchebag, or whatever...I'm picking getting myself down safely above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    To me its not only the cost (and total inexperience HA), and even if you can get it under that "$60K", how much lower???? $20K? Still a huge nut if you ask me. The real kicker for me is the MONTHS you have to devote to this. You dont just go up...summit and leave in a week...

Cost aside this is still a much bigger hurdle for me IMHO.

After extensive research I've come to the conclusion you can get it done for around $15k. That includes airfare to and fro, sherpa support, all the supplemental O's you'll need from Camp II to the summit and back, as well fees for guides, cash tips for sherpa, food and bev for the whole expedition, and accomodations at every camp. The only extra flow you'd need is hooker cash before and after you climb. Unfortunately it doesn't include the approx $3k in gear you'll need to climb though.

Like you said, besides the cost the biggest logistical concern would be leaving the family and job for two fucking months. I can hurdle the cost; some families spend that on a couple vacations and saving it over a 5 year span would be cake. The training for it would suck but nothing that wouldn't take more than a year if you took it seriously. It's just near impossible for most people to put a halt on life to go climb a mountain for 2 months.

if youd watch the vid you would see that they were fully geared to drag a guy down, and they did just that with Inglis. and because of that fact the argument that a rescue was impossible is thrown out the window. also the fact that the guy made it another 9 hours with no help throws the whole he was too far gone argument out the window.

they had the gear and the ability... they just did not want to sacrifice Inglis summit to help a guy. its as simple as that.

A friend of mine got blown by 2 different Russian women at two different camps, including one at 24k. Once half-heartedly, once to completion.

If you can successfully blow a dude whose resting heart rate is 130 and who hasn't showered in a month at altitude, you can give someone a pat on the back or a few words of kindness.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

A friend of mine got blown by 2 different Russian women at two different camps, including one at 24k. Once half-heartedly, once to completion.

If you can successfully blow a dude whose resting heart rate is 130 and who hasn't showered in a month at altitude, you can give someone a pat on the back or a few words of kindness.
    Pics including altimeter reading or it didnt happen.

Some people will do just about anything for a green card....
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I once helped carry someone out of Tuckermans. Four of us carried him down to hojos and it was a bitch. Mt Washington is like the caribbean compared to Everest, so who knows. I'd like to think I could help, but every step is a fucking intense personal battle there. I'm sure some of these people who passed by are still dealing with their inner demons.

I think some of you are fucking nuts doing the out of bounds shit that I see you posting about on here, but I will continue to read and look at your TRs and POVs. that is all.

They need to just pony up and build an escalator to the top of the fucker; save everybody a whole lot of time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    They need to just pony up and build an escalator to the top of the fucker; save everybody a whole lot of time and effort.
    Heli-hiking is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    would u be pissed if they played crappy elevator music?

I think we can mostly all agree the root of all retardedness at Everest is because there are way too many people climbing up there who don't belong up there. I like to shoot guns but I don't go to Afghan. with a couple soldiers and then pay them to help me find Taliban and fight them. Leave it to the pros. Sill there is no way for me to understand what these peoples brains are thinking way the fuck up there.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Sad stuff. George Mallory could have totally returned that sweater to REI and warrantied it.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    I like to shoot guns but I don't go to Afghan.
    I like hamburgers but I don't go to to the United States of Amer.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Appropriate thread music to enhance the moral thread journey:
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

No embedding allowed.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO073fekFfA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Dionne Warwick - Walk On By (Stereo)[/nomedia]

Great song. Although you'd pretty much have to walk on by her if you needed to get anywhere, that dress has got to slow her down.