Page 105 of 110 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 2741
    Super proud of our mini-maggette for getting after it this weekend in her first GS race @ the Loup Loup Wolf Chase. She did great and got 10th out of 28 U12 girls, which was just good enough for a medal. She only turned 10 in October so many of the girls are quite a bit bigger (with longer skis) than her so I suspect she will be cleaning up in the medals next year. This was such a good race at a little community-run hill. Lawn chairs in the sun, a good BBQ, a keg of PBR off in the trees kind of vibe.

Name:  TLoupLoup.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  259.1 KB
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68A17F2D-AA8D-4441-8F86-D573A35D1CFB.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	447742

Almost two years old! Little man had a great time! Minus the whole getting boots on part, but can’t blame him there.

kid put together a backflip progression vid from this year. maybe someone can help w being able to view it w out clicking the link...?

https://youtube.com/shorts/5aa2l70CFCk?feature=shares

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    kid put together a backflip progression vid from this year. maybe someone can help w being able to view it w out clicking the link...?

Awesome! How’s yours coming along?
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Awesome! How’s yours coming along?
    I’m still at the hot tub stage.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post

Ha, Awesome! Did you pick the music?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ha, Awesome! Did you pick the music?
    Bwah! Def not.

Name:	04FAC413-0ECF-46AF-A3C2-B6229DFEF33B.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	846.1 KB 
ID:	449245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A945752D-FD9D-4711-8F8A-479EF1A856EC.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	277.6 KB 
ID:	449246

YES !!

CK

first video embed, so fingers crossed
    13yo taking advantage of great snow and temps in Tahoe this past week

Too bad I don't have same for 15yo who lawn darted under lift while attempting his first daffy. If the grizzled old dude in orange on the lift is here, that was hilarious. "that's the best non-daffy daffy I've seen in a long time"

Ongoing Kid Stoke [2011 and on...]

First season in our Youth Dev & Racing for my 9 y/o has definitely upped her game. Got top spot on the podium in U10 SL Saturday and 2nd in GS Sunday. Both races would have put her on boys podium as well w 2nd and 3rd fastest times overall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son and I both returned from our European ski trip a bit worse for the wear, him in a cast with a broken elbow and me with a broken rib. We let him ski after two weeks in the cast as long as he kept it mellow, which he did. He and I were skiing in some pretty crappy snow and taking it easy. With one pole, and being as conservative as a 15 year old boy can be, he is beating me through the bumps. We stop and he says "I am smoking you right now." I know he is right, but I can't let that stand, broken rib or not. So I turn it up on the next pitch and of course can't get through a jump turn in a tight section and slam my chest into the snow. I get to the bottom skiing very gingerly and my wife asks why I look like I am in pain. In my best mock-kid tattling tone I tell her "Caedan made me crash." Without missing a beat he says "I didn't make you crash, your ego made you crash." Ugh, it isn't enough for him to be better at skiing, he has to be funnier as well.

Because all TGR posts are better with pics, a shot from last week before a freeride comp at Crystal.

Name:	Caedan Airing Under Chair 6.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	449560

So kind of stoke, kind of not, just didn't know where to put this. Ended up losing our 8 year old for an hour and a half yesterday at Steamboat. Usually skiing 500' of vert at home so we just always meet at the bottom of whatever run we're on. We had a plan in place that if we get separated we meet at certain spot at the base. He got way out ahead of us because his sister was too slow and he zigged when we were supposed to zag. Mom ended up spotting him in the lift line at the bottom, he was having a blast skiing where and how ever fast he wanted with zero concern that his mom thought he was dead in the trees somewhere. He just said we were supposed to meet at the base so I was just skiing until I saw you guys. Awesome that he stuck to the plan and showed that independence, not awesome that I had to deal with his mother for that 90 minutes.

Is there anything else you guys do to keep tabs on your kids?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lake_effect View Post
    So kind of stoke, kind of not, just didn't know where to put this. Ended up losing our 8 year old for an hour and a half yesterday at Steamboat. Usually skiing 500' of vert at home so we just always meet at the bottom of whatever run we're on. We had a plan in place that if we get separated we meet at certain spot at the base. He got way out ahead of us because his sister was too slow and he zigged when we were supposed to zag. Mom ended up spotting him in the lift line at the bottom, he was having a blast skiing where and how ever fast he wanted with zero concern that his mom thought he was dead in the trees somewhere. He just said we were supposed to meet at the base so I was just skiing until I saw you guys. Awesome that he stuck to the plan and showed that independence, not awesome that I had to deal with his mother for that 90 minutes.

LOL, I've lived that exact situation before, but not at a mountain as big as Steamboat. My son when he was 6/7 at the end of the night took a wrong turn and went back to the lift instead of back to the base w/ his class. Hilarity ensued when the instructor realized he was missing a kid and sprint skated back uphill looking for him. He just went back to the lift and someone else helped him back. My wife still talks about this and I rode the chair w/ the same instructor this weekend which we laughed about.

I've recently been on the hunt for a good way to do this for big mountains. I looked at the Gizmo watch but hear the GPS tracking is terrible. I also kicked around the idea of an AirTag, but that's definitely not going to cut it outside of lift-lines since it's so passive. At the moment I'm leaning towards a pre-paid android phone or recycled old iPhone w/o contract and putting it in my kids pockets. My 11 y/o is imminently getting his first phone anyway so this may short-cut it a bit.

In my case have 2 different ability levels and want the 11 y/o to be able to bail out as well have some independence while keeping my wife happy. My younger is a far better skier and will be sticking with me on more advanced runs while big bro goes back to base to my wife waiting.

I had this happen when our son was seven. He and I were skiing in the trees and I lost sight of him. It was a day when you needed to keep your partner in sight in the trees as there were serious tree wells. I hiked back up the hill to the point I had last seen him, but he wasn't there. I skied down to the point where I could see all the way down to the lift, but I couldn't see him anywhere. I didn't think he could possibly have gotten all the way to the lift line in the time he has been out of my sight. Frantic yelling, hiking up, skiing down, nothing. I decide to ski down to the lifts and see if he was there. I got down there and he wasn't there. I asked the lifties and they hadn't seen him. I asked them to call ski patrol and get help searching. At this point I was freaking out that he was in a tree well somewhere up the hill. Patrol lapped the area for 45 minutes and made me wait at the bottom. There was no sign of him. My wife was skiing with a friend and there was no cell service on the backside where I was, so I couldn't call her.

Eventually I talked them in to letting me help search. I rode the lift up and my phone buzzed with a voicemail. It was my son calling from his sister's friend's phone. He had ridden up a different lift (lifties didn't notice a seven year old riding the lift be himself) and skied to where his sister was training with her race team. He called me to say he was waiting for me at the race team building. Relieved doesn't begin to describe my emotions. Skied back down and met up with him. It turned out he skied out of the trees and down the double black run to the chairs way faster than I had imagined he could have.

That night I ordered two walkie talkies and he skied with one in his pocket and I skied with the other. Cell service at our mountain is not good, so the radios were the best option. They helped get us connected quite a few times as he got older, bolder, and faster.

Sunset send stoke…

Name:	FBE10AB1-958C-422D-AC11-810337771E0C.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	450119

Our kid knows our phone numbers and plans on skiing to a patrol hut if ever they get separated.

It happened to us once when they were 7 or 8 entered the top of 10 at KW and slipped through the gaper grind getting stuck on the entrance moguls. His mom got stuck behind the gapers and waited for it to clear out. We did not keep eyes on the kiddo assuming they would stop around two lift pole down as usual. Snow was so good they just kept ripping down and by the time mom was through the guanlrt they were out of sight. We split up and each took a different route to our usua meeting spot.

Kid had dropped a pole from the lift and it had stuck in above a cliff band. I high lined their thinking they were trying to retrieve on their own. Kid actually saw me fly by and called out.

Did not find kiddo at meeting spot so wife sent me back up chair 11 which runs parallel. Got a call from some rando on my way up the lift just as I spotted my kid at the top station.

We ski KW all the time and know it really well, but it is still east to get split up. Now the plan is go to a patrol shack and make the phone call. Whe. We visit new hills, we read the map in advance to locate patrol shacks and then work on spotting them on hill. Kiddo even likes to stop in and say hello and give thanks for their hard work.

It is always good to have a plan and a back up plan.

We don’t allow our kid to ski alone. Always with someone. They occasionally go off with other kids but they use a buddy system. Always know where your buddy is. Deep powder and storm days they need to stay with me (or a ski instructor). Blue bird and less than a foot of fresh they can ski with mom.

It if stoke anti stoke. U14 had a season ending knee injury….missed last qualifying race. Still finished first in SL, 4th in GS and 4th in SG for IMD. She’s super bummed but no surgery and “might” be back on skis in April. Apparently consideration given for development camps due to injury.

U12 is the top qualifier out of the South, she’s psyched to see her friends from the north at champs. Home hill advantage at the ‘Bird!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Your kids kill it! Sorry to hear about the injury, hopefully she bounces back soon.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

And re losing kids, at big mountains it's tough. I can't imagine just planning on meeting at the bottom at Steamboat, that mountain is pretty confusing and it's pretty easy to take a turn and end up at a completely different lift, not at the bottom. I lost my kid during a Vail ski race once, that was scary.

My kid now has a phone, and that helps alleviate that worry.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And re losing kids, at big mountains it's tough. I can't imagine just planning on meeting at the bottom at Steamboat, that mountain is pretty confusing and it's pretty easy to take a turn and end up at a completely different lift, not at the bottom. I lost my kid during a Vail ski race once, that was scary.

My kid now has a phone, and that helps alleviate that worry.
    Yeah, depends on where you are at. We were skiing storm peak so you don't have to take any lifts, just keep skiing and you'll make it to the bottom. Their patrol shack is at the top of sundown/sunshine and would be way more confusing for him to navigate to.

If he gets ahead he is supposed to stop and wait any time there's a split, obviously didn't do that, and we also decide which lift we are meeting at before we start down. He also knows both our numbers and is supposed to call us if we get separated. Basically he pretty much ignored all protocol, went to the last resort, and decided skiing on his own was more fun for a bit. We didn't say much at first, just happy to find him. His mom laid into him pretty good later that night and we didn't have any more issues the rest of the week.

my ex wouldn’t let Owen drive to the ski area today for some dumb reason - school got cancelled after I was already up the hill - so he hitch hiked - walked a mile to a good spot and got three easy rides right to the ski area

fkn stud
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

My dude finished first in a slopestyle comp this weekend and 1st in a big mtn comp. Lotta kids were throwing backies in the slopestyle and while Logan can, he decided to do a switch 540 instead and nailed it. Had a clean 360 off a rail too. Super proud of him!

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Yeah, depends on where you are at. We were skiing storm peak so you don't have to take any lifts, just keep skiing and you'll make it to the bottom. Their patrol shack is at the top of sundown/sunshine and would be way more confusing for him to navigate to.

If he gets ahead he is supposed to stop and wait any time there's a split, obviously didn't do that, and we also decide which lift we are meeting at before we start down. He also knows both our numbers and is supposed to call us if we get separated. Basically he pretty much ignored all protocol, went to the last resort, and decided skiing on his own was more fun for a bit. We didn't say much at first, just happy to find him. His mom laid into him pretty good later that night and we didn't have any more issues the rest of the week.

Actually, "skiing storm peak" is easy to fuck up. Head a little left once you start heading down and you end at the Sundown lift, in a completely different area. Also, Storm Peak is not the "bottom" lift, one could easily ski past it and end up at Pony or keep skiing and end up at Thunderhead or keep skiing and end up at the main base. That's my point with that mountain. It may seem obvious to someone who knows the mountain, but I have ended up at Sundown when I meant to ski Storm Peak, and I had a friend just 2 days ago ski past Storm Peak where we were waiting and end up at Pony. "meet at the base" is not a clear plan at that mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    It if stoke anti stoke. U14 had a season ending knee injury….missed last qualifying race. Still finished first in SL, 4th in GS and 4th in SG for IMD. She’s super bummed but no surgery and “might” be back on skis in April. Apparently consideration given for development camps due to injury.

U12 is the top qualifier out of the South, she’s psyched to see her friends from the north at champs. Home hill advantage at the ‘Bird!
    Ugh and yay! All in one post.

Hope she recovers completely and quickly!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 03-09-2023 at 05:43 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB