Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Somewhere on the workshop floor…a lonely o-ring laments.
    Only missing one O-ring if you're lucky, two O-rings if you're really lucky.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 21.26.38.png
Views: 549
Size:  48.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post

If you’re really really lucky, there’s two o-rings making sweet sweet love on the caliper side of the bolt. Some hot young/old action.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Oof, I just had a situation where it took a few days to figure out why my new caliper and bleed were losing tiny bits of oil. One of those o rings got ever so slightly pinched in installation. Was very frustrating, and I was really glad it wasn't for a customer's bike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

wasted no less than 3 hours and 3 little stealthamig thingies before I realized I was putting them on the hose backwards. I had done is fine previously but for whatever reason f'ed it up this time. Even asked the experts for help. Then randomly looked down a a picture and realized what I was doing....

Is the rotor salvageable? It's DOT 5.1 fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Is the rotor salvageable? It's DOT 5.1 fluid.
    Rotor yes, pads no.
    Brake cleaner and a clean cloth, or soak the rotor in a shallow pan with dawn dish soap then a clean rag.

Oh yeah, pads are beyond fubar. Rotor is brand new though so it would nice to not have to trash it.

Don't give up on the pads. It's always worth trying to burn off the contaminación. Go to town with a propane (or MAAP, if you have it) torch. I've saved pads for way several times.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post

look at the floor not for what you dropped
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Don't give up on the pads. It's always worth trying to burn off the contaminación. Go to town with a propane (or MAAP, if you have it) torch. I've saved pads for way several times.
    When I pulled them they literally had DOT fluid dripping off of them. Seems pretty unlikely it's worth the effort.

I don't do math soo good... building a long bridge/path through part of my backyard to pumptrack, can't do simple math and am one 16' decking board short. Was stressful as all get-out driving home with the 16' stringers in my short-bed truck sans extender, b/c I don't have one and in a hurry. At least I can buy a few shorter boards instead since they're getting cut anyway.

My 75 pound daughter doesn't want to carry a camel back anymore. What are the bomber / easy solutions for a tube, CO2 ands tire levers to the frame? It needs to be kid proof and easy if she breaks down in a race, and I've never done this power strap thing so many of you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    My 75 pound daughter doesn't want to carry a camel back anymore. What are the bomber / easy solutions for a tube, CO2 ands tire levers to the frame? It needs to be kid proof and easy if she breaks down in a race, and I've never done this power strap thing so many of you do?
    A bunch of companies make frame straps that'll hold a tube and have little pouches for tools / Co2. But depending on the bike (especially if it's small), it can sometimes be a little tricky to find a good place to strap it where it doesn't interfere with a water bottle / rear shock, and where it's not annoyingly rubbing on her knees.

This is the sort of strap thing that you want though: https://ride.lezyne.com/products/send-it-caddy

Dakine hot laps gripper

I have had luck over many years w Backcountry Research strapped to bottom/back of saddle for Tube/Lever/CO2 for XC racing. Bunch of friends use the Speedsleeve too, which I have for my roadie, but prefer the Backcountry ones.

I also am a big fan of the backcountry research Tulbag to carry multi-tool, inflater + 2 co2, patches, bacon strips, few $$, and spare chain link. Rotate through many different bikes and each has a tube, and the tulbag goes with me on every ride in a pocket.

I've got some sort of dakine strap I picked up off the road near a TH. I can get you a couple photos and it's yours for shipping.

Don’t worry about shit that slows you down

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

put the stuff in one of them roll top foil coffee bags and strap it to the frame,

use the coffee first
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-08-2022 at 11:32 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Got one. Thank you all for your idiocy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220616_002533567.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	418986

Pro-tip: If you skip replacing the cotter pin on your pad retention bolt, the bolt and your pads will eventually gain a sweet 'eject' function on takeoff. Don't worry, they're super easy to spot in the middle of the jump line.
    Last edited by Huskydoc; 06-15-2022 at 07:39 PM.

Fack lol, last place you want to loose stopping power.

I just did the same thing this week! But fortunately the pads fell out while on a carriage trail riding with my kids at 3mph.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Fack lol, last place you want to loose stopping power.
    I'd much rather lose brakes on a jump line than most other places... But scary as shit none-the-less!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I thought I was the only person dumb enough to do that! I lost mine in the middle of a remote desert ride last summer.

I figured there was no way I was going to find the pads and spring in the middle of the moon dust surrounding me. I found one pad, then my riding partner proceeded to find the other pad AND the spring! Many beers were owed.

One of these is not like the others, OCD trigger alert

When eyeballing your plank placement goes wrong, gotta improvise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk