Page 320 of 599 FirstFirst ... 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 14972
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywood View Post
    How many of you guys are on a woodsman here? Any feedback? Might pick up a pair.
    I posted a bit a few pages back. U looking at going 116 or 108?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    Yep, found some pretty quick actually, thank you to those who reached out. Wawawa had almost exactly what I was hoping to find. And with only one mount that I can reuse, bonus!!! I have been casually looking for a pair for a while, but it is time to get the Lynx setup on the snow. Very few Steeples have turned over recently, searches on TGR and Craigslist have not revealed many options. Figured I'd ask here because this is where the fellow ON3P hoarders hang out. A WTB in gear swap was the next option, but that opens me up to a bunch of Jerrys attempting to unload shit I am not looking for.
    "Hey Dude I have some Black Diamonds I am looking to get rid of"
    "Get the fork out of here with that shit"

Ok for some discussion, skiing ON3P telemark? There are a few of us odd balls out there. Have any of you found a combination that is spot on? I have had three variations, that have been fun, but never perfect which leads me to keep tweaking. So what sort of flex do you like? Mounting on the line or back a few cm? How do you like to detune the ski? I am leaning towards the softer flexes, more aggressive detuning than Alpine, and mounting back a centimeter or two. As futile as having a quiver of 1 ski is, I have been narrowing down to that one that works best for me.
    Did you just find the one pair? Ive been looking for some 179 108's. I had given up bumping my wtb ad

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Did you just find the one pair? Ive been looking for some 179 108's. I had given up bumping my wtb ad

I haven’t come across the 179 you are looking for.
    I found 184cm in 108 which will be great. 112 might have been ideal.

- I am here for the stoke

I haven’t come across the 179 you are looking for.
    I found 184cm in 108 which will be great. 112 might have been ideal.

- I am here for the stoke
    K thanks

How many of you guys are on a woodsman here? Any feedback? Might pick up a pair.
    I just got the Woodsman 108, 187cm. Skied them yesterday and today in a range of conditions including moderately firm groomed snow, soft skier packed bumps, sun-baked mush, and refrozen sun-baked mush. No new snow yet. I'm 6'0" and 160 lbs. Decent skier. Kinda old.

For me, they've been awesome in soft and mushy conditions and easy enough to handle in bumps. On the harder groomed surfaces the tips have been grabbing a bit, but I'm pretty sure I can fix that by de-tuning. Compared to my previous daily-driver (DPS Wailer 99 pure3) they're much damper and more solid-feeling. It's easier for me to stay centered on the Woodsman, although they're unforgiving when I get in the back seat.

I don't know how to review a ski except to say that at the moment I'm very happy with my new skis.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Just here to tell everyone I telemark too.
    179cm Wren 98
    179cm Wren 96
    182cm Woodsman 96
    179cm Wren 108
    I am also on the line to -1cm. I alpine like 30% of the time in my TRace stiffy AXL set up so line or close thereto makes sense to me. ON3P mount points dialed in my experience.

5’10” 175 and those lengths work for me tele. East coast trees are my happy place. I’d likely go longer for alpine.

Oh and cuttlefish intro por favor???
    Last edited by Doremite; 02-02-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by tahoepa View Post
    I posted a bit a few pages back. U looking at going 116 or 108?

108’s. Have dedicated powder skis already. Don’t need 110+

saw your post, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I just got the Woodsman 108, 187cm. Skied them yesterday and today in a range of conditions including moderately firm groomed snow, soft skier packed bumps, sun-baked mush, and refrozen sun-baked mush. No new snow yet. I'm 6'0" and 160 lbs. Decent skier. Kinda old.

For me, they've been awesome in soft and mushy conditions and easy enough to handle in bumps. On the harder groomed surfaces the tips have been grabbing a bit, but I'm pretty sure I can fix that by de-tuning. Compared to my previous daily-driver (DPS Wailer 99 pure3) they're much damper and more solid-feeling. It's easier for me to stay centered on the Woodsman, although they're unforgiving when I get in the back seat.

I don't know how to review a ski except to say that at the moment I'm very happy with my new skis.
    Awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post

A de tune and u will love them more. A little gummy stone love to the tips and tails made mine much more agreeable.

108’s. Have dedicated powder skis already. Don’t need 110+

saw your post, thanks.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback!
    I have a pair of wood 108 in 187. Do you have any specific questions about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tele on a pair of 184cm Wrenegade 96 with outlaws. I believe the reccomended line is at -9.3cm, but mine are a hair ahead at -9cm and I love them there. Definitely wouldn't go back, could maybe up to 1cm forward from rec if you are used to more progressive mounts, but I wouldn't fuck with it too much. Factory tune was loose (dull) compared to other skis I have, and didn't require any special detuning. I would probably go with the 182 woodsman 96 if I did it again. I think the smaller turn radius and twin tip would be a bit more playful for my low tide ski. The wrens love to chew up vert big time, which is fun in its own way but I might give a bit of that up for some more playfulness. I'm sure the woodsmans still romp. I can't imagine what the older, more serious wrenegade designs were like.

Quote Originally Posted by paige. View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance everyone! It's great to have you all telling me what I wanted to hear.
    Late to the party. My wife is your size and skis those same skis. She just clicked in and hasn’t thought about them sense. She doesn’t read ski reviews or have a ton of knowledge on ski design/shapes which might have helped her in this case. She loves them.

Pulled the trigger on some woodsman 108 182’s! First pair on on3p’s.

I have a pair of Wren 114's that really has been game changing. They are incredible in almost every context... skiing steep bumps they're a lot of work (not a surprise) but outside of that really really impressed. Its the only ski that's ever made me go to the gym and some core workouts have really helped moving them around in tight steep trees and ETC. I'm 160lbs and skiing the 189cm.

Starting to dream of the future steps for the quiver so I have two quick questions.

Has anyone skied the 96mm Wren that could comment on how much easier they are to move around in steep firm bumps and trees? Wondering if I need to swap to a Woodsman or if the narrower Wren is a little bit less work.

My favorite thing about the Wren are the tails. They are so solid and I crash / wheelie out on landings way less than I used to my Moment Wildcats. Do the tails of the Billy Goat feel as solid or do they start to loose some of that super solid feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    My favorite thing about the Wren are the tails....Do the tails of the Billy Goat feel as solid or do they start to loose some of that super solid feel?
    ime wrens have a more chargey, fall line feel to the tails while still being fairly forgiving, if im backseat they'll wanna toss me forward quicker than my K's or BG's

BG's have a looser tail that is easier to slash around in tighter terrain yet i'm still able to rely on them if i end up tailgunning a bit, more reliable to ease me back into position rather than "shove" like the wren

I have a pair of Wren 114's that really has been game changing. They are incredible in almost every context... skiing steep bumps they're a lot of work (not a surprise) but outside of that really really impressed. Its the only ski that's ever made me go to the gym and some core workouts have really helped moving them around in tight steep trees and ETC. I'm 160lbs and skiing the 189cm.

Starting to dream of the future steps for the quiver so I have two quick questions.

Has anyone skied the 96mm Wren that could comment on how much easier they are to move around in steep firm bumps and trees? Wondering if I need to swap to a Woodsman or if the narrower Wren is a little bit less work.

My favorite thing about the Wren are the tails. They are so solid and I crash / wheelie out on landings way less than I used to my Moment Wildcats. Do the tails of the Billy Goat feel as solid or do they start to loose some of that super solid feel?
    Hard to compare since I don't have the wren 114s, but I find the 184cm wren 96s to be plenty maneuverable in steep bumps, but its when things get lower angle and I want to flow/zipper the bumps with speed that they are a little harder to rein in. They just want to take off and are more sensitive to getting bucked into the back seat than other skis I have. The tails are probably more supportive on the 189s, I find that my pb&js and deathwishes are both better landing platforms than the 184 wren 96. The wrens will stomp but they don't tolerate back seat driving so you better get forward quick if you don't land centered. 5'11" 170 for reference.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Woodsman 96 > Wren 96 for bumps and trees. Wrens excel in space where their quick and inherent desire to accelerate shines. That comes at a cost when things get more technical and you need lower speed agility. Woodsmans are no noodles so I’ve found you sacrifice little in exchange for some ease on the driver and enhanced versatility (as compared to the Wren). I’ve traditionally been draw to stiff and demanding skis and still ski the 2018 Wrens often. Don’t sleep on the Woodsman.
    Uno mas

Haven’t skied the wren 114 for more than a demo run or two, but the BG is the best platform I’ve ever ridden for stompability.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Baby Wren is pretty easy going IMHO based on a demo day a while back. If you like the 114, I'd be surprised if you want the Woodsman 96. Lot more rocker (for the width) and sidecut on the 96 compared to the 114.

This one is a little harder to answer. IMHO, there are three aspects that impact how "solid" a tail feels: physical length of the tail, stiffness of the tails, and amount of tail rocker. Wildcat has more physical tail than the Wren 114 (more forward mount point), but it's a bit softer and considerably more rocker, especially rocker height with that big twin. My guess is that you don't like the feel of a big rockered twin. The BG sits between the Wildcat and Wren, but closer to the Wren in terms of mount point, stiffness, and rocker/twin height. So I think the BG will feel a little less solid than the Wren but quite a bit more solid than the Wildcat.

However ... be careful that you're learning to land balanced and not relying overly on the tail to prop you up actively when you land backseat. Nothing wrong with a good solid tail, but someone who's 160# (which is about what I weigh) should be able to avoid wheeling out with the 189 BGs. If you're really worried about it, you can get Scott to make you a custom pair with an extra stiff tail ... which is what I did, but that was back before they stiffened up the tail on the stock BG.

If you're still in the Front Range and want to try my stiff 191 BGs and have a bsl around 303-310, hit me up. I'd be stoked to swap you for the Wren 114 for a run/day/whatever.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

How is RES on firm, steep, bulletproof crust? Would Steeple 108s be terrifying in such conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    How is RES on firm, steep, bulletproof crust? Would Steeple 108s be terrifying in such conditions?
    I would not want to be on a RES ski on bulletproof in consequential terrain. I have had some uncontrolled sideways slides on the SG when new snow has failed to bond with rain crusts. Maybe the narrower ski is better, but I doubt it.

Where have all the Steeple's gone?
    They're out there doing stuff!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473 copy.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	894.3 KB 
ID:	313749

What're you skiing that stuff for?! For truly bulletproof, I'd want something different, but I skied a lot of breakable this weekend on those 112s and my heavy 108 inbounds steeple and had a ton of fun.

Performance on firm conditions was one of my main concerns when deciding to buy Steeples. A day spent on demo Billygoats eased my concerns enough to pull the trigger on some 184 108s. These have been my only touring rig for two seasons. The most surprising aspect of the ski's performance for me has been its ability and lack of weirdness on firm snow. I have skied them on bulletproof re-frozen spring conditions, hard windboard in the alpine and on firm groomers and never been concerned with the ski's performance. I wouldn't call them lively or snappy in these kinds of conditions, but they haven't been unpredictable or scary either. My only real concern with them on bigger spring days/steeper objectives is their weight, but if they were lighter they wouldn't ski as well as they do across such a broad range of conditions.
    Part of the firm performance that I have enjoyed is likely attributable to the Tectons that I have mounted on mine. Some elasticity and solid power transfer makes a big difference when it's firm.
    Mountaineering skis they certainly aren't, but they're unlikely to leave you unable to ski something that you've climbed up with the intention of skiing back down.
    YMMV and the usual caveats apply of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I would not want to be on a RES ski on bulletproof in consequential terrain. I have had some uncontrolled sideways slides on the SG when new snow has failed to bond with rain crusts. Maybe the narrower ski is better, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    What're you skiing that stuff for?! For truly bulletproof, I'd want something different, but I skied a lot of breakable this weekend on those 112s and my heavy 108 inbounds steeple and had a ton of fun.
    Trying to figure out a ski for everyday PNW touring, which includes days like yesterday: 40 degree rain crust with 6" blower on top. My Huascarans are okay for this sort of thing but not fantastic. I have Zero G 85s for actual spring steep stuff.

Not terrifying but certainly not fun. If you have two turns of that nonsense before you get to pow they're fine for that, but it's not the ski you want to ski a 1000' couloir in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    Performance on firm conditions was one of my main concerns when deciding to buy Steeples. A day spent on demo Billygoats eased my concerns enough to pull the trigger on some 184 108s. These have been my only touring rig for two seasons. The most surprising aspect of the ski's performance for me has been its ability and lack of weirdness on firm snow. I have skied them on bulletproof re-frozen spring conditions, hard windboard in the alpine and on firm groomers and never been concerned with the ski's performance. I wouldn't call them lively or snappy in these kinds of conditions, but they haven't been unpredictable or scary either. My only real concern with them on bigger spring days/steeper objectives is their weight, but if they were lighter they wouldn't ski as well as they do across such a broad range of conditions.
    Part of the firm performance that I have enjoyed is likely attributable to the Tectons that I have mounted on mine. Some elasticity and solid power transfer makes a big difference when it's firm.
    Mountaineering skis they certainly aren't, but they're unlikely to leave you unable to ski something that you've climbed up with the intention of skiing back down.
    YMMV and the usual caveats apply of course.
    Sounds like I should just try some, maybe somewhere with a nice, clean runout...