Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Can we move on to how Yeti team peeps ride huge backcountry rides with one water bottle?
    On most long BC rides I do (more than about 10 miles), I carry one of these, because I really hate having a 28lb pack on my back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71y0Z1k2zKL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	285702

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    The "Tribe" is hilarious. A few years ago, a friend of mine showed up with a group of other friends who all owned Yeti bikes to one of the "Gatherings". He was on a higher end Diamond Back and caught a lot of shit and weird looks, but he was just there to ride with his friends. Well, long story short, he smoked everyone, without trying very hard. He is just a strong rider, but not a racer, and not competitive, and just an all-around mellow dude. Well the next year there was strictly a clause in the "Gathering" registration or whatever that said you had to ride a Yeti to go on the group rides or something like that. Buncha posers.

That said, I bought my wife a Yeti, in turquoise, at almost full retail. She loves it, and that's all I care about.
    there are a lot of good bikes out there nowdays, paying a couple grand more isnt really gona make you a couple grand quicker and being part of the tribe only requires a sharp visa card IME,

what the " yeti tribe " thing might be is really good marketing hype, the bike equivalent of when I paid full pop for the 1st wailer 112's in the narth, cha-ching they show up 2 months later and a guy walks up in the lift line to ask if they are really that good ... oh yeah baby!

actualy the Wailers were good but not that good, the Yeti 5.5 is probably more " worth it " than the wailer 112 was

the dealer makes a lower margin on Yeti than say a Giant which usually comes all assembled in the box whereas you gotta pay your mechanic to put all the parts of a Yeti together

so what that extra couple grand gets you is 2 years later I really like to ride it, I'm always amazed at the IMO no compromise spec/design package that Yeti put together ... a trully nice bike for an old man

the turquoise IS a purty bike, if you haven't done it yet and its not too beat up yet I recommend putting some 3M Vinal wrap on the bike, a roll of 4" is like 20$

what with the cost and the US $ vs Can exchange there are not many Yeti up here, same with Santa Cruz or Ibis altho there is a shop with 3 locations so they sell a lot of Yeti/Santa cruz/Ibis and end up being one of the biggest dealers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    On most long BC rides I do (more than about 10 miles), I carry one of these, because I really hate having a 28lb pack on my back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71y0Z1k2zKL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	285702
    Lol I'm sure you wouldn't be carrying over 3 gallons of water for a 10+ mile ride.

That filter bag looks like a REI yuppie special. I would love to see a Patagonia granola using that in the creek. Fucking ultra runner style yo. Carry nothing but beard wax and colorful sunglasses.

A Sawyer rep gave me one of those squeeze filters back when they first came out (I was the camping buyer for an outdoor shop at the time). It was the biggest piece of shit I have ever used. It clogged instantly and self destructed on about the third use. Needless to say we didn't bring them into the store.

Lol I'm sure you wouldn't be carrying over 3 gallons of water for a 10+ mile ride.
    On a 40-mile BC ride I would. This way, however, I can simply take a 28oz bottle on the frame and *never* run out of water. Obviously you need to be somewhat familiar with the ride you're getting into for this to work.

That filter bag looks like a REI yuppie special.
    I think the MSR version would fit that preconceived notion better. The Sawyer would be more along the lines of the redneck special. IIRC the filter was $25. 3oz in the pack beats the shit out of 5 *pounds* of water.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    A Sawyer rep gave me one of those squeeze filters back when they first came out (I was the camping buyer for an outdoor shop at the time). It was the biggest piece of shit I have ever used. It clogged instantly and self destructed on about the third use. Needless to say we didn't bring them into the store.
    Interesting.

I've had mine for about 5 years and not had any problems. <shrug>

Has been on multiple backpacking trips and has filtered water for *5* people on those trips.

Interesting.

I've had mine for about 5 years and not had any problems. <shrug>

Has been on multiple backpacking trips and has filtered water for *5* people on those trips.
    Same, mines been problem free, and it was cheap.

And I'm not sure I've ever been called an REI yuppie, but I've been called much worse.

The Sawyer Squeeze is cheap. Think I got mine on Amazon for under $20. Two years of regular use during the warm months with no issues. The bag will eventually give up, but replacements are cheap.

I still plan to get an MSR Trailshot some day cause, way easier/more convenient.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The "Tribe" is hilarious. A few years ago, a friend of mine showed up with a group of other friends who all owned Yeti bikes to one of the "Gatherings". He was on a higher end Diamond Back and caught a lot of shit and weird looks, but he was just there to ride with his friends. Well, long story short, he smoked everyone, without trying very hard. He is just a strong rider, but not a racer, and not competitive, and just an all-around mellow dude. Well the next year there was strictly a clause in the "Gathering" registration or whatever that said you had to ride a Yeti to go on the group rides or something like that. Buncha posers.

That said, I bought my wife a Yeti, in turquoise, at almost full retail. She loves it, and that's all I care about.
    This is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This is amazing.
    For the record,wife is not a "Tribe" member but we give her shit for it all the time. I bought a used GG for myself and will continue to support their product that is actually made in CO.

I sold a 303 RDH to a guy simply because it was Yeti and he had 2 others. He showed up and said it was the only Yeti DH bike for sale in the area and he needed it to "match" his 2 other bikes. He paid what I asked, which was a just a few hundred less than what I paid. I figured I would sell it for much less but I didn't think any Tribe members would be so willing in mindlessly buy a bike simply bc it was Yeti.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The Sawyer Squeeze is cheap. Think I got mine on Amazon for under $20. Two years of regular use during the warm months with no issues. The bag will eventually give up, but replacements are cheap.

I still plan to get an MSR Trailshot some day cause, way easier/more convenient.
    Still haven't convinced myself to use these full time. Memories of giardia that I got canyoneering, that fully manifested itself a couple weeks later while sea kayaking in Alaska, are enough to keep me staying away when I can...

Was less than ideal. Do not want again.

Joey hauls all that stuff in on his drone.
    With a 6-pack of mustaches to swap out, depending on the bike being showcased?

I was a bit disappointed to see the girl didn't have a large bushy mustache like the other dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Still haven't convinced myself to use these full time. Memories of giardia that I got canyoneering, that fully manifested itself a couple weeks later while sea kayaking in Alaska, are enough to keep me staying away when I can...

You got giardia from filtered water?

......bit of an understatement here.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Plus, the Yeti fan-boy'ism here in Colorado can be quite annoying at times.

I've also had friends who got treated real shitty by Yeti when they just wanted a little help with warranty stuff or one guy even when he just wanted to buy a linkage bolt. But then again, he was a Yeti fanboi and stayed one, so whatever they're doing it's working just fine for them.
    However many are in a shit ton.

You got giardia from filtered water?
    No, I got giardia from canyoneering the Black Hole in fucking March without a wetsuit. Cause I am an idiot. I grew up swimming and you always have a little water in your mouth - it's no big deal in races. Turns out when you are swimming in 40 degree snowmelt runoff that is so cold you can't feel your limbs 20 seconds in old habits crop up and you swallow the water, which is essentially washed down cow shit from all the grazing land. Good times. Canyon is cool though.

I know that filtration is safe, but it's a mental block. Giardia sucks and it takes a long time to recover from.

Can we move on to how Yeti team peeps ride huge backcountry rides with one water bottle? Used to be no water at all in videos but the frame designers finally relented to the pressure.

Joey has a strict no backpack, pro skid, pro color matching director policy.
    Spot on.

What happens in ColoRADo ought to stay in ColoRADo.

Another reason I prefer my buddy’s Trailshot. Much easier to avoid cross contamination.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Just wondering, do people show up to Jeep Jamborees driving a Land Rover?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Just wondering, do people show up to Jeep Jamborees driving a Land Rover?
    Since I don't generally attach friendships to what brand of toy I own, nor do I participate in such ghey ass group rides/drives, I wouldn't know the etiquette. However, if one of my friends showed up in such a situation with a Land Rover, we'd probably give him a bunch shit, and all laugh about it around a campfire with alcoholic beverages in hand, perhaps from different manufacturers.

Since I don't generally attach friendships to what brand of toy I own
    Wait - you're friends with people who own skis and bikes that are different brands than yours? Is that allowed?

What do you all talk about?

Wait - you're friends with people who own skis and bikes that are different brands than yours? Is that allowed?

What do you all talk about?
    He even drinks beer from many different brands, even inexpensive macros. He's a sick fuck.

Since I don't generally attach friendships to what brand of toy I own, nor do I participate in such ghey ass group rides/drives, I wouldn't know the etiquette. However, if one of my friends showed up in such a situation with a Land Rover, we'd probably give him a bunch shit, and all laugh about it around a campfire with alcoholic beverages in hand, perhaps from different manufacturers.
    Yet your friends knowingly went to a gathering of yeti bikes, for people riding yeti bikes, sponsored by Yeti Cycles.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

They don't drink beer they drink Turquoise koolaid,

in any case I have a Yeti so I get the invites but I don't think I would go

too far eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    He even drinks beer from many different brands, even inexpensive macros. He's a sick fuck.
    And, on this board, that makes him different how?