Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

100mm touring ski round-up

Hey guys, I'm looking into a 100mm do-everything touring ski to use with a pair of Kingpins, Tectons, Rotation 12's, Ion 12's. I'm happy to be on the heavier end of the spectrum, but want to avoid stupid-heavy. In my experience, it's ideal to stay below 1900g's if you want to cover a good amount of ground and still have decent gas in the tank for the way down. I'm 6'4" 185lbs and generally ski heavier, stiffer skis inbounds (mantra 102, bmx105hp, bodacious, billy goat).

I'm mainly targeting the 1600-1900g, 188cm-ish range touring skis. Happy to take some extra weight if I get some extra stiffness/suspension. Would really appreciate peoples' recommendations/experience here.

I thought it would be useful to have a page where people post touring ski specs and their impressions of the ski. I've consolidated some info below to start.

Black Crows Navis 185cm (1800g): lots of love for these. I do hear they ski short.
    Elan Ripstick 96 Black 188cm (1750g): similar weight class and generally stiffer throughout. Measures closer to 185cm. Could be a winner.
    Head Kore 99 (1950g): probably overkill in terms of weight/stiffness for a touring ski. Curious if anyone's put a touring binding on these and how that's worked out.
    Scott Scrapper 95 184cm (1750g): don't know anything about the Scrapper series other than that they're very stiff.
    Line Sick Day 94 186cm (1750g): cheap. Soft snow biased. Fairly damp, though also fairly soft flexing.

V-Werks Mantra 186

Fischer Hannibal 100 (no longer avail) is my fav in that width. They are very light, though.

I'd love to but another pair in 170 or 180 if anyone has some lying around.... Barring that, I'll monitor this thread, especially if mags start recommending lighter skis too.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Backland 100s or line visions

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Kastle FX 96 HP 186 - 1890gr per ski (180cm)

Can still be found new for cheap (last season) :
    Black Crows Daemon is 99mm, flat camber, 1850g @ 183, biggest size 188
    Volkl 90Eight 184 - 98mm - 1850g

Personally I have the VW Mantra and it's great.

I’m in the hunt for a 100mm touring ski with Salomon MTN or Fritschi Tectons. Leaning MTNs as these will be strictly for touring.

Two skis I’m looking at but haven’t yet skied....mainly as I already have Factions (CT 5.0) and Dynastars (Menace 98 and Menace Proto 118) are:

Dynastar Mythic 97 (133-97-113) 1450gm at 177cm...big splay tips that would float well? Fondled this last week and liked its look.

Faction Prime 2.0 (126-98-114) 1550gm at 178cm....I like Factions. Have enjoyed Faction Royales and currently own Candide 5.0s. I keep reading about the Faction Prime 2.0’s tails feeling weird/quirky in hard snow? It’s got minimal camber, it's stiff, and has more tail rocker, and a bit more forward mount than the Mythics. So I should like it. I can also possibly get it really cheap. And I don’t plan to ski tour much in super hard snow.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-21-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Kastle TX98 (1370)
    Blizzard Zero G 95 (1360g)
    Fischer Hannibal 96 (1410g)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

To throw a RC ski into the mix - 4frnt Raven. Tad bit wider at 104. The 190 cm is 1850 gm. Check out the new version with the Hoji tourlock - $779 including the Pamoca skins that fit the system

Havent skied the Navis FB, but Im very happy on Camox FB. Might lose a bit of shape at high speeds, but a really versatile and solid ski. Have friends who have a Camox FB and a Corvus FB and that covers all their touring needs.

Otherwise, Zero G 105 - such a dialed touring ski. Lotta performance for not too much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    I'm glad I scored a pair of the previous season's QST 99

mounting them with Tectons
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 09-24-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Some more description on how you ski would probably help. Otherwise the list from Blister probably has you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Some more description on how you ski would probably help. Otherwise the list from Blister probably has you covered.
    Mainly skiing East Coast during Winter (lots of hard, variable snow).
    Then I do a bunch of Spring touring in Utah.
    My main objective is to find the most damp and stable at speed touring ski that's under 1900g's (in 185-190cm length).
    Yes yes, I know "stable" and "damp" aren't generally characteristics of touring skis, but I might as well try to find the one that's closest* to these characteristics!

Ripstick 96 Black is top of my list after speaking to several people who tell me it's got more beef to it than the Navis Freebird. Manta V-Werks is the expensive wrench that's been thrown into the mix. I'd only spring for that if it had better high-speed stability than the Ripstick Black. Considered Head Kore 99/105, but ultimately decided the Kores are far too stiff a ski to really get the most of out of with a touring binding.

I’ll be running a Kore 99 189 cm for 50/50 resort and touring, inserts for shifts (most of the year) and ZEDs (spring and longer missions). Also own a Raven 184 which will be my primary soft snow touring ski, I had a few days on them where some camber and backbone would have been appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I just picked up a PMGear Bya for this slot.
    130-96-115 round flex with softer shovel and Lhasa nose.
    Shot in the dark but I love me my PMGear skis and they got great reviews here for their ability to ski mixed conditions well.
    Plus the side cut is -2mm all around vs. my MX98 and it was designed by the same French intern dude that designed the Kusala (and if memory serves he really is a rocket scientist?).

Anyway they come in just under 1800g.
    Going to mount them with some BD Helio 180s.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I just picked up a PMGear Bya for this slot.
    130-96-115 round flex with softer shovel and Lhasa nose.
    Shot in the dark but I love me my PMGear skis and they got great reviews here for their ability to ski mixed conditions well.
    Plus the side cut is -2mm all around vs. my MX98 and it was designed by the same French intern dude that designed the Kusala (and if memory serves he really is a rocket scientist?).

Anyway they come in just under 1800g.
    Going to mount them with some BD Helio 180s.
    ^^that seems like a sweet setup. i bet those things do great in soft snow for their width class.

for this quiver slot i'm going with the Down CD104L - i haven't skied them yet, but i love love love the down ld90's, and mallwalker and boissal both seem to be big fans of the CD104. they seem stiff, and i like the shape too - 128-104-121- i really like medium to long turning radiuses (these guys check in at 25 meters), and in the 181 length, mine weigh 1550grams - so "light but not insanely light".

gonna mount them up with a pair of ATK release 10's + atk freeride spacers that i ordered from spyderjon, so hopefully similar binding performance to the bigger bois (tecton et al) at less than half the weight - the whole package deal should put me right around 1850g for a decently capable rig.

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    I'm mainly targeting the 1600-1900g, 188cm-ish range touring skis. Happy to take some extra weight if I get some extra stiffness/suspension. Would really appreciate peoples' recommendations/experience here.

I thought it would be useful to have a page where people post touring ski specs and their impressions of the ski. I've consolidated some info below to start.

Black Crows Navis 185cm (1800g): lots of love for these. I do hear they ski short.
    Elan Ripstick 96 Black 188cm (1750g): similar weight class and generally stiffer throughout. Measures closer to 185cm. Could be a winner.
    Head Kore 99 (1950g): probably overkill in terms of weight/stiffness for a touring ski. Curious if anyone's put a touring binding on these and how that's worked out.
    Scott Scrapper 95 184cm (1750g): don't know anything about the Scrapper series other than that they're very stiff.
    Line Sick Day 94 186cm (1750g): cheap. Soft snow biased. Fairly damp, though also fairly soft flexing.
    Von, here is some data about these skis. I have most of these skis in 180ish. We unfortunately don't have a lot of measurements for skis above 185 cm, but you could (or not) assume that these trends would hold.

Name:  GJvsEI.png
Views: 1772
Size:  53.2 KB
    Name:  EIvsm.png
Views: 2018
Size:  54.7 KB
    Name:  GJvsm.png
Views: 1803
Size:  55.7 KB

Stiffnesses wise, the Head Kore 99 is really close to the Navis... both in average bending and torsional stiffnesses. The Elan is much softer than the Navis is torsion. I put the Scrapper 105 in there because I didn't had the 95. I could be a totally different beast!

You can also look at the graphs below for more details on the geometry and stiffnesses (e.g., tips):

Name:  FullSpecs.png
Views: 1758
Size:  72.8 KB

We measured the Ripstick with a binding on, which is why there are peaks at toe/heel in the bending stiffness graph. The Kore 99 has a much stiffer front half than the other skis in both bending and torsion (less tip flapping around, better engagement on ice, etc). Otherwise, there are large variation (scaling) in torsional stiffness for all of these skis (playfull vs precise). These skis are much more similar in bending stiffness.

There are only a few ski models stiffer for that weight. Heavier skis could easily be stiffer.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I’m in the hunt for a 100mm touring ski with Salomon MTN
    Dynastar Mythic 97 (133-97-113) 1450gm at 177cm...big splay tips that would float well? Fondled this last week and liked its look.
    I just put together this exact setup (except I went 184). From all the reviews I read, the Mythic skis as solidly as any ski in that < 1,500g weight class. I have to admit tho, I'm a little skeptical at the thought of skiing something this light! I also have V-Werk Katanas with G3 Ions that I love, but they are just a little overkill on certain days.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    I just put together this exact setup (except I went 184). From all the reviews I read, the Mythic skis as solidly as any ski in that < 1,500g weight class. I have to admit tho, I'm a little skeptical at the thought of skiing something this light! I also have V-Werk Katanas with G3 Ions that I love, but they are just a little overkill on certain days.
    The Mythic 97 (177 and 184) average bending and torsional stiffnesses are kind of in between the Ripstick 96 and the Sick Day 94 on the graphs below.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Overkill how?

If it's weight, put mtn bindings on them and save some weight. The katanas are awesome.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Dragging this out....back in the shop today.

Felt up the 179cm Line Vision 98 (131-98-119) and 181cm Elan Ripstick 96 (134-96-113).....both decently light with pretty forward mounts (-6cm on the Vision, 1,550gm @ 179cm)....there are three lines on the Ripstick at +1cm, +2cm and +3cm....rec is -8cm. It's 1,600 gm. Also noted that the 181cm Dipstick is 1cm shorter than the 179cm Line Vision. Go figure.

177cm Dynastar Mythic, @ 1,500gm (131-98-113) was there taunting me too.

Bought the Salomon MTN bindings with 100mm brake....committed. Will decide on which bc ski soon.....Mythics, Vision, Ripsticks is the order right now.

PS - I haven't had any Dynastars in over 30 years....my COVID quiver now has 2020 Dynastar Menace Proto 118s and 2020 Dynastar Menace 98s in it...may as well add a 2021 Dynastar bc ski?
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-24-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Overkill how?

If it's weight, put mtn bindings on them and save some weight. The katanas are awesome.
    Like I said, I love 'em.......I just don't need to be schlepping them uphill on certain spring days or if I'm out meadow-skipping with the wife. Hoping the Mythic/Backland setup will fit the bill.
    Old's Cool.

@alude - thank you! this is super helpful!

One more to add.

Just saw the 2021 Atomic Backland 100 (130-100-120) ...its a new ski this year that checks a LOT of boxes for me:
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-29-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Add armada tracer to your list. Or Kufo 103 from a few years back

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums