Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Adam at BH suggested ball of foot at +3cm from the factory 0 line for tele.

I ended up putting pins on CC, which translates to boot center at -1cm from the 0 mark for my 28,5 garmont boots. This also is roughly +2cm BoF (whatever this means).

ME: 200+lb. 7tm power, Garmont Synergy
    Turns: Mostly tele, usually more tele the harder the terrain. Not opposed to a p-turn or two.

I have 6 days on mine in all conditions and couldn't be happier. I love these skis. This is my first plus 100mm waisted ski and there was absolutely no learning curve. Easy to ski right out of the gate. I think CC is actually pretty close to the balance point so that may help. I concur with what the previous posters have already said. These skis like to go fast, really fast. In fact they really come alive hauling ass. Great in pow because they're hudge, but they really shine in the cut up and crud, absolute tanks. Like to be ridden forward pressuring the tips. Backseat never works out wells for me, but recoverable if you can get back on top before they take off. They like to go fast, did I mention that. Super stable at speed, almost impossible to stuff a tip with the rocker. Super fun. Not that you'd want them for groomers but they rail and are fun there too (not short radius turns). Push them and pressure the tips and they actually fairly agile. Maybe when I get a few more days I'll post a proper review.

Nice review.

Tele Mount

Agent J,

Appreciate the beta. Glad to hear you like dropping the knee on the Shoots.
    I haven't purchased them yet but found a stellar deal. I'm also looking at the
    Moment Ruby's or Bibby Pro. I really want a rockered ski. any info on the other skis would be great.
    Skis:Ants, Big Daddies, ARV's
    wt:190lbs/6'3"
    Scarpa T1
    have you toured on them??? hows the weight of the ski?
    gonna be riding the Hammerheads with them.
    Dennis

FAST IS GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by FreeHeelz View Post
    hows the weight of the ski?
    Very very heavy....

for real???? i'm gonna need some legs to tour on them huh?

5.8 kg / pair, thats 12 3/4 lbs....

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeHeelz View Post
    for real???? i'm gonna need some legs to tour on them huh?
    You'll get them soon enough touring on them.

Seems like -1cm is the mounting point most have liked. Any other thoughts before I mount mine? I'm 5'10 around 200lbs. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by molson14 View Post
    Seems like -1cm is the mounting point most have liked. Any other thoughts before I mount mine? I'm 5'10 around 200lbs. Thanks
    -1, fo shizzz

yep, -1cm is the sweet spot on these! Mount'em up and let'em RIP!
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Mini review:
    Weight: 190+ heavy day pack
    Bindings: Dukes at -10mm
    Boots: Krypton Pro
    Conditions: Pow, chop, hucking

I picked these guys up straight from the BH guys in SLC for our little road trip. I have not failed to be impressed. My beef with last year's district was not enough edge grip and stiffness. Lets just say they fixed that with the shoot. I find it is surprisingly easy to ski in pow conditions. The rockered tip saved me a forward roll or two, It was amazing I got one 3 second faceshot (17" day at alta) where I would have gone tumbling on most skis and the tips just slowly brought me back up to the surface.

I find that in chop they rail but like any charging ski it is hard to break the tails free and slow down, this often threw me backseat. I blame this on myself and not the skis. For hucking they are great I took them to 40+ and they felt great on landing. They stomp hard, the tail is sure there for you. Just make sure you are centered or the stiff tail will give you some serious shin bang landing in the back seat.

I have had 189 b-squads for a few years now and have always loved them. This is a more powder geared version and I like what the BH guys have done. My main beef is that they are f***ing heavy. I think I'm taking the dukes off them and putting on 916's. They are just too heavy even for slow touring. I think that these fit in a quiver well with some skinnier charging skis for the spring and some Reverse Reverses for skiing tight pow. I would not say these are an everyday ski unless you have Bode-like quads. When you need a big mountain ski with good float they are the right thing for the job.
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

Quote Originally Posted by allenataylor View Post
    I think that these fit in a quiver well with some skinnier charging skis for the spring and some Reverse Reverses for skiing tight pow.
    As I am currently thinning down my collection of skis to 186 LPīs, 185 Praxis Powīs and a pair of Shoots, this sounds good to me...
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Just to confirm, do the Shoots have a layer of metal in them? If they do, they could very well be my next big ski.

Quote Originally Posted by allenataylor View Post
    Mini review:
    Weight: 190+ heavy day pack
    Bindings: Dukes at -10mm
    Boots: Krypton Pro
    Conditions: Pow, chop, hucking

I picked these guys up straight from the BH guys in SLC for our little road trip. I have not failed to be impressed. My beef with last year's district was not enough edge grip and stiffness. Lets just say they fixed that with the shoot. I find it is surprisingly easy to ski in pow conditions. The rockered tip saved me a forward roll or two, It was amazing I got one 3 second faceshot (17" day at alta) where I would have gone tumbling on most skis and the tips just slowly brought me back up to the surface.

I find that in chop they rail but like any charging ski it is hard to break the tails free and slow down, this often threw me backseat. I blame this on myself and not the skis. For hucking they are great I took them to 40+ and they felt great on landing. They stomp hard, the tail is sure there for you. Just make sure you are centered or the stiff tail will give you some serious shin bang landing in the back seat.

I have had 189 b-squads for a few years now and have always loved them. This is a more powder geared version and I like what the BH guys have done. My main beef is that they are f***ing heavy. I think I'm taking the dukes off them and putting on 916's. They are just too heavy even for slow touring. I think that these fit in a quiver well with some skinnier charging skis for the spring and some Reverse Reverses for skiing tight pow. I would not say these are an everyday ski unless you have Bode-like quads. When you need a big mountain ski with good float they are the right thing for the job.
    Compared to your Squads, do you find them to be as quiet in chop or does the tip defect a bit more?

They have a layer of metal in them, about 1cm narrower than the topsheet, starts at the rocker-point, ends just where the tail starts. If you leave your skis out in the cold, and then take them indoors, you can tell where the metal is by looking at where there is most condensation.

Shoots are at 1:44.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    They have a layer of metal in them, about 1cm narrower than the topsheet, starts at the rocker-point, ends just where the tail starts. If you leave your skis out in the cold, and then take them indoors, you can tell where the metal is by looking at where there is most condensation.

Shoots are at 1:44.

Sweet video! Thanks a lot...

Shoots mini review:
    Me: 6'0" 220lbs boots: Lange WC 130
    Skier type - like speed and still get a little air - mostly off the beaten path.
    Other Skis I like/currently ride: 183 Volkl Gotama, 186 LP, 194 LP XXL, Salomon AK Swallowtail

As with most - I mounted mine -1cm (10mm). Mounted Rossi Axial2 200 (same as look PX18) and can I just say these are a DAMN heavy pair of skis! But they will plow through anything! Only have a few days of skiing on them in decent tracked out conditions to 4 day old boiler and they ski just about how I expected - just put a little boot in them to get a quick turn and hang on for the ride! Even with the extra girth (compared to my 194 LP XXL's) they are a bit more nimble - a bit easier to ski in tricky off-piste and junk. The rockered tips really help in tracked out conditions & crud. After I get more days with all conditions covered I'll post a full review - so far - super burly fun skis that are manageable all over the mountain. Can't wait to get them in primo conditions on north Baldy & the Cirque! They will KILL it! So far - I don't think I'd change a thing on them - maybe add a "little brother" shoots to cover more audience?
    Last edited by altasnowbirdripper; 01-20-2009 at 07:20 AM.

De Oppresso Liber

Had a really good day on mine today, 1-2 feet of fresh and no traffic at all at the white mountain... this rocker thing really seems to work Float is great, and the stiff midsection make rougher sections a breeze. Like has been said speed is what they really want, but even in semi-tight trees they do fine (though for long days of only tight stuff I still prefer my sanouks). Did some small hits, stability on landing is awesome. Ended the day with a high speed run down the WC downhill course, they felt stable as anything when I arched biiiiig turns....blablbahblah awesome skis

Mounted -1 with 916s, 170 lbs, 120flex solly course boots.

Iīm jealous. Kvitfjell is really good fun when thereīs some snow.

God damn weather is coming in from the wrong direction.

Awesome to hear! Thanks for the review & Keep'em coming! We're supposed to get some snow on Friday! I hope to finally get mine out on a "good day"! Although in my book - all ski days are good days!

De Oppresso Liber

I mounted them +1cm with Barons for some reason. They are totally fucked I need to remount them. sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by powdherb View Post
    I mounted them +1cm with Barons for some reason. They are totally fucked I need to remount them. sweet!
    Go -1cm (-10mm on the ski's marks) and you'll be golden.

De Oppresso Liber

Got my hands on a pr of last seasons prototype. Sexy looking ski...Heavy.

I'll admit while hand flexing this ski I was SCARED!!!! I kept resisting bringing the beast out. A decent snowfall on Friday night 12" or so, i decided it was time to see if they really were too much for me.

Me 6'3" 215lbs
    Typically ski matte black gotama w/Dukes
    Garmont adrenalines with booster strap.
    Mounted 81 cm from tail along ski contour w/ sallie 997 equippes

As mentioned about 12" of fresh, cut up, and some slightly crusty conditions in places at Alta. I had the edges beveled 1 degree and the tips and tails detuned as to not kill myself (thanks Andy at the Peruvian). The 42M turning radius is what mostly scared me. My fears were unfounded. These things charge, plain and simple. if you dont get the edge, keep laying them over. You can make them turn if you want. as others mentioned stay forward. Didnt really take them on "hardpack" but im sure they're manageable. They werent friendly in the bumps, but again you make it work. The tip rocker keeps them up, the traditional camber makes them ski like a "normal" ski, and the stiffness allows them to plow through anything i was able to put them through.

We're expecting another dump Monday night and im hoping to take these out to Snowbird where I think they will really shine. I think these like wide open spaces.

Ill report back as i ski them in more mixed conditions, but I think anyone who might think theses are too much for them is probably wrong.

Good job Bluehouse keep pushing the design envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    This should have been a boner pow day review, but epic conditions on thursday turned to boilerplate ice on saturday due to heavy rain on friday. Sunday had milder weather, so I had to take them out...

Mounted at -1cm with fks 185īs (black, white and gold, )

Skis I like: LPīs, Arnos, Praxis pow

Short, one day, hard groomer review:

Speed limit: Terminal velocity. I couldnīt go much faster at the given steepness due to air resistance.

Gets more stable, the faster you go.

Easy to slide around at low speed due to short contact length. It took me a few runs to figure out where the tips were, due to the rocker, the ski looks long, but in a way it skis short. (and in a way it skis long)

Doesnīt like to turn on groomed, but with 2cms of soft on top, you can do relatively short radius turns. It takes input, and you need to pressure the tips.

I donīt get the issue with the camber. Iīve flexed mine hard a few times, and now the camber is almost gone. (Itīs not sticky, but like most skis they seem to relax a bit initially.)

The GF liked her 176 districts too (mounted -1 with white and red linkens, steezy), even if conditions were not right. Camber on the districts relaxed a lot with a few hard flexes, they are now almost completely flat, but keep their shape.

New reviews will come as soon as we get some more snow...

Finally got some snow, so time to add to the thoughts above.

Conditions were mostly chopped pow and crud, with some patches of untouched in between.

Open spaces: Go fast over/through crud, stays stable, likes to be driven. In untouched pow they surf, bounce from turn to turn and turn effortlessly with a bit of pressure on the tip.

Trees: Very fun, surprisingly fast to turn, easy to scrub speed. Made me almost a bit too confident at times, donīt think Iīve ever skied so fast through the runs I did. You do get worked though, and once you get tired, the 3kgs of ski on each foot makes itself felt.

Hucking: Very confident, think I set a new personal height record on my second day of skiing them in a bit of snow...

Durability: Seems very good so far, no chipping yet. Hit a round rock going mach 1, flipped me around, skis just got some scuffs on the edge, nothing really.

Overall very fun skis, takes a bit of muscle, but not as much as you would think by flexing them or looking at the dims.

A friend of mine (who borrowed my Praxis), did a quick comparison which can be summed up like this: Praxis are easier to ski, take less effort and wonīt take you for a ride. Shoots are more stable, require more and have a higher top end.

Girlfriend seems to really like her 176 Districts too, never seen her go so fast in crud before. Says they take a bit more input than her 181 Titan Nineīs. She has not had a chance to find out about the float-factor yet, but Iīm guessing sheīll be floating like a cork...

Moved the new comments into the original post, for the links thread...
    Last edited by SiSt; 02-20-2009 at 02:48 PM.