Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Anyone here into Sous Vide cooking?

Thinking about picking up one of these contraptions and start exploring what it can do.

At first I was a bit hesitant to get one because I thought it was for lazy window lickers who don't know how to cook a medium rare steak over a fire or a roasted chicken in an oven. At first glance it seems like a shortcut to learning the advanced skills of cooking but after seeing and tasting the results I've changed my mind.

Anyway, anyone here using these dildos to sharpen their cooking game?

Yes. Much better for long slow cooks than prepping steak, etc. Chuck roast will be out of this world. Make sure you have ginger, fish sauce, and soy sauce on hand. 72 hr pork belly, hmmmm.

Makes perfectly cooked fish too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Been doing some basic steak stuff with a Joule for a while. I need to expand my game. One of my kids has been messing about for a few years. Turned out some pretty perfect pork tenderloin, assorted eggs, veggies, etc.

Pretty nifty pairing a Joule with Alexa/echo. The phone visual guides for the Joule are handy. First world cooking....

My best friend owns Polyscience:
    https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/pr...cm_pla=default

There are certain things that can't be done any other way. Turkey in duck fat finished on the grill for example. It's a great tool. Cooking something at the exact temperature it was meant to be cooked at.
    Last edited by plugboots; 07-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I sous Vide often. It's nice to have multiple ways to cook. The best steaks finished over fire are sous vide. It's just fun to cook away from the boring stove top and a shitty gas grill :-) I can cook over live fire very well. Like I said it's nice to have another tool.

IMO pairing sous vide with a vacuum packer is a game changer. The convenience and precision is amazing.

The flavor of vegetables is crystal clear and pure. Delicate herb flavors shine through.

Fish is pretty unreal. A few simple herbs, salt, a little butter, vac pac it and then sous vide.

Meats benefit from salting, then searing, then sous vide, then sear again. Gives a really deep flavor to the meats as it gets the Maillard reaction twice. Go cast iron for the sear.

That seems like it might be good for fish, but is boiling water not always 212°? What am I missing?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

It's not boiling. You can hold whatever temp you want

Sent from my SGH-M919 using TGR Forums mobile app

That seems like it might be good for fish, but is boiling water not always 212°? What am I missing?
    Not boiling. Heated to whatever temp you set and recirculated around your food(which is in a bag). Super precise. Cook your steaks to 126 or 129 or whatever for an hour or two depending on thickness and laziness and then sear for a couple minutes... etc. Likewise, cook your fish or poach your lobster to the perfect temp and no more...

I bought the Anova on prime day for $99. Made some bone-in pork chops this weekend. Pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I bought the Anova on prime day for $99. Made some bone-in pork chops this weekend. Pretty damn good.
    yea buddy, I did a 12 lb pork butt for 18 hrs and it was butter ! it's like a crock pot with precision.

Way better than a crock pot, and as noted, precise. Once you've found the results you want, repeat and get the same exact results. I don't have one at home, but played with a set up in a professional kitchen a few years back. Of all the things we made in the tub, soft boiled eggs were by far my favorite.

We were playing with it when it was just gaining popularity with chefs who at the time were enjoying foam. I was really not into foam, so figured Sous Vide was another sham. But then I saw what it could do for a professional operation.

As for the sear, bag, warm and sear thought, we would do this with racks of lamb. Excellent results.

So, like, taste aside -> is cooking in a plastic bag good for you/ok? These days I've been avoiding anything plastic and just using ol' stainless steel, cast iron, ceramic, glass, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    So, like, taste aside -> is cooking in a plastic bag good for you/ok? These days I've been avoiding anything plastic and just using ol' stainless steel, cast iron, ceramic, glass, etc.
    I understand your concern, but I think it depends on your definition of "good for you." In the past 10 years, I've been told that eating meat will give me cancer. Am I at much greater risk if it's been low-temp precision cooked in a bpa and phtalate free plastic pouch?

Ah, so it's like super low temp cooking, got it.
    A sturdy plastic bag is fine at that temp.
    Is BPA the thing that mimics estrogen? Sounds like a good time!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Damn, I checked pricing on prime day and the Anova I had saved was full price. Anyway it should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting these results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	506.8 KB 
ID:	209539

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	640.0 KB 
ID:	209540

Darn near everything you need to know: http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide

AND WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...on-recipe.html

So boiling meat is a good thing now?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Dude, can you just pretend to do an ounce of research for a moment before typing.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Right? DD was cuttin edge!

This seems a little over thinking cooking to me. Take food, seal it plastic, put in warm water, take it out, sear it. I don't seem to have a problem cooking any of the foods mentioned without doing this.

Totally, you should try it.... overnight for best results...

/end sarcasm/
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Right? DD was cuttin edge!

This seems a little over thinking cooking to me. Take food, seal it plastic, put in warm water, take it out, sear it. I don't seem to have a problem cooking any of the foods mentioned without doing this.
    So, take that thick cut of steak. You like medium rare.. great. Now, the part of your steak, even if you are a steak cooking ninja, that is medium rare is the inner 1/3 or so. Then you have every other doneness until your crust. This allows for 9/10 medium rare, a little of the rest, and whatever crustiness on the outside you want.

Great way to get tender fish and avoid the white goo from salmon coming out.

Also produces really tender results.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    So, take that thick cut of steak. You like medium rare.. great. Now, the part of your steak, even if you are a steak cooking ninja, that is medium rare is the inner 1/3 or so.
    If this is happening on a grill, you are not a steak cooking ninja.

Get some real cooking skills.

If this is happening on a grill, you are not a steak cooking ninja.

Get some real cooking skills.
    No, it isn't about real cooking skills, it's about simple physics (or chemistry, or something). On a grill, direct or indirect heat, you are trying to cook a steak to say 125 degrees by applying temps hotter than 125 to the outside of the meat. By the time the center is 125, there is no way to avoid the outside being cooked more than that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No, it isn't about real cooking skills, it's about simple physics (or chemistry, or something). On a grill, direct or indirect heat, you are trying to cook a steak to say 125 degrees by applying temps hotter than 125 to the outside of the meat. By the time the center is 125, there is no way to avoid the outside being cooked more than that.
    You clearly don't know how to use the temperature control, and arrangement of your grill, to control the cook to get the results you desire.

Sous Vide is like using a fully automatic combo grinder espresso machine because it's impossible to make a good espresso otherwise. Most of those people would be better served by a kurig because they can't tell the difference. Sous Vide is like the McDonald's method, Ragu and no name pasta...what I'm advocating for is like home made, from scratch, Italian sauce and noodles.

Sous Vide is the lazy, window lickers way out of actually crafting or learning or tending to something.

Go ahead, boil your meat in a bag like that heathen DD.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-17-2017 at 04:22 PM.