Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    not where the most snow was last night...
    KVW is the best ski I've ever ridden. If there was ever a quiver of one, which isn't really possible, the katana would be the closest.
    6' 225# on 191 with kingpins, +1 or +2 cm, unless you only ski straight and open.

The only place they suck is flat long cat walks, theyre a bit spooky w full rocker and not enough speed to get on an edge hahahaha.

I always bring two skis on every trip, and the KVW is ALWAYS one of them. 125mm megawatts if it's nuking, mantras or kendos if the snow is no bueno...

Lightest touring setup? Nope, but I also don't meadow skip.

Find em on sale and don't look back. How many skis has volkl ever sold w/o needing to change anything other than the graphics?

Not for the faint of heart, they need a good/aggressive driver

Great thread. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some KVW 191 or 188 Rustler 11's to replace my 186 Confessions. I already have a BMT 109 for touring, so these would be dedicated resort......Anyone skied both? I'm 6ft 170lbs and ski mainly Whistler...

Guess I could entertain selling the 109 and do the KVW with Duke PT's as a one ski resort/touring pow quiver (also have Mantra M5's for low snow days)....
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Short Review: Volkl V-Werks Katana

I have both of them plus KVW 184. Skied my Rustlers as my soft snow ski until I got a pair of K108 184. Since the addition of the Katanas I haven’t used the Rustlers. Bought the KVW as my soft snow and spring glop ski. For those conditions nothing I’ve skied is more fun or easier to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by swissbro; 12-01-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Great thread. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some KVW 191 or 188 Rustler 11's to replace my 186 Confessions. I already have a BMT 109 for touring, so these would be dedicated resort......Anyone skied both? I'm 6ft 170lbs and ski mainly Whistler...

Guess I could entertain selling the 109 and do the KVW with Duke PT's as a one ski resort/touring pow quiver (also have Mantra M5's for low snow days)....
    Hey Milkman,

Still too bony on BComb to take my 191 KVWs out, but will report back after another cycle or two. I also have time on Confessions and Rustler 11s, in the longer lengths though (6'2/195). If you don't find luck with a comparison of your chosen lengths, hit me up if you think it'll help.
    Coles Notes is that in the longest lengths, in our maritime snowpack, at our resort, Confessions are a fair bit more ski than Rustler 11s, so if you go that route, I would consider upsizing to 192s, assuming you want the same amount of ski as your 186s for pow and chop in open spaces. For a whole bunch of reasons (186 being comparable in weight, radius, and width dims to 192s, partial metal v full length, softer flex, turned up and more releasable tail, and shorter true lengths on the Rustler by a cm or two), I think they would be the closer comparable to your 186s, as the non-metal sections of tip and splayed out tail are easy to bend in comparison. That pretty much sums it up actually, haha.
    An M5, and KVW or R11 for resort, with a BMT 109 for touring sounds rad to me; can't really lose. Love my Confessions, but wish I never sold my Rustlers, room for both, and both great skis. Bunch of good info on Rustlers in the Blizzard thread as well c/o Gweilo, Whyturn, Meter-Man, et al. My 2 bits. Cheers.

Edit to add: My R11s were 2019 green ones; as the new orange ones are a bit heavier, probably fair to say that, re weight, 186 Confessions (2257g/evo) fall between orange 188s (2159g/evo), and 192s (2336g/KimJong's from the Blizzard Thread).
    Last edited by Sylvan; 12-05-2022 at 06:15 PM.

Thx for the insight Sylvan. Let me know how the 191 KVW ski. Here's hoping we get a bit more snow next week!

Swissbro, interesting that you prefer the K108 in the pow compared to R11....Do you prefer the K108 to KVW in pow?
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Thx for the insight Sylvan. Let me know how the 191 KVW ski. Here's hoping we get a bit more snow next week!

Swissbro, interesting that you prefer the K108 in the pow compared to R11....Do you prefer the K108 to KVW in pow?
    I prefer the KVW. The K108 handles marginal conditions much better for me especially hard snow that I often find getting to powder at resorts that any small advantage the R11 might have I overlook. If conditions are optimum I take the KVW or my Protests.

First day on the k108.
    Groomers only, with 3 turns on breakable.
    Fantastic skis, they replaced my old metal katanas.
    They ski like a gs race ski

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

A couple of days on the 177 k108 now and i noticed that i have to be more careful with my front aft balance than in my 184 old katanas.

Could be that they are shorter, or it could be that the tail is stiffer, but i caught myself in the back seat a couple of times, something that very rarely happened on that old katanas.

FYI - there is a dedicated K108 thread.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    A couple of days on the 177 k108 now and i noticed that i have to be more careful with my front aft balance than in my 184 old katanas.

Could be that they are shorter, or it could be that the tail is stiffer, but i caught myself in the back seat a couple of times, something that very rarely happened on that old katanas.

Hmm.... maybe the tune?

I'm also on the 177 and I haven't really had that except in heavier powder situations, and rarely.

Edit: I'm at +1cm, FWIW

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 12-10-2022 at 10:54 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

The full rockered Katana, while stiff, could skied in a centered of slightly forward stance, IMO. You gotta get on the front of your boots on the K108 to get the most out of it. Even then, it’s pretty easy to figure out. It’s the most user-friendly version of the Katana IMO.

I’d expect that there may be an adjustment needed moving from your old 184’s to the new K108 due to the rocker and sidecut differences.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

It's no big deal,i can adjust, it reminded me of a race ski that can get away from you if you load the tails

Got a screaming deal on a pair of 184 V-Werks on consignment the other day. However, they're mounted with Duke Epf bindings. I'm not going to use these skis for touring, so I don't care about the weight. Any reason to swap the bindings out for something else? For context, I ski 90/10 backcountry/resort, and this will be my only dedicated resort setup.

Let me know how the 191 KVW ski.

Finally got out on these today. Some 2D Harmony laps on and off piste followed by a quick walk to Flute Main for some consolidated boot deep pow. Honestly, nothing really to add, great ski, accurate thread. Walk well, and they feel like a lighter K108. And for my general mounting preferences (Pivots at -10ish), the 191 at +2(-12) w/ a Duke PT 12 felt great.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    I prefer the KVW. The K108 handles marginal conditions much better for me especially hard snow that I often find getting to powder at resorts that any small advantage the R11 might have I overlook. If conditions are optimum I take the KVW or my Protests.

And agree with everything ^ Swissbro said. Of the three skis you're thinking about, the K108 might be the most natural Confession replacement as a WB DD (variable). That said, I was really surprised how much top end the KVW has for a 2048 gram ski; if u went KVW, you might just ski your M5s a bit more in comparison. And with a new Rustler 11 release apparently imminent per Robnow (thanks), you could probably grab a current gen on the cheap in the near future. They're all great; I don't think you can get this wrong. Enjoy man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    Got a screaming deal on a pair of 184 V-Werks on consignment the other day. However, they're mounted with Duke Epf bindings. I'm not going to use these skis for touring, so I don't care about the weight. Any reason to swap the bindings out for something else? For context, I ski 90/10 backcountry/resort, and this will be my only dedicated resort setup.
    For me, the toe high ramp angle in alpine boots, high stand height, awkward entry in powder, lack of toe piece elasticity, and weight would be reason enough to swap them for STH2s asap.

Finally feeling confident about the coverage to take my KVWs out today, in fresh boot deep powder and soft chop, snowing hard. I simply cannot imagine a better ski for these conditions. Any turn shape, any speed, just effortless.

Scored 191 today. Plan on moving ATK FR14 from Line Vision 108 and make it my mid-season touring pair.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Finally feeling confident about the coverage to take my KVWs out today, in fresh boot deep powder and soft chop, snowing hard. I simply cannot imagine a better ski for these conditions. Any turn shape, any speed, just effortless.
    The rocker profile is so fun; carve or slarve, no matter. Super impressed with how they matched the flex to the weight of the ski also, for my 195# anyway. Was on K108s in resort this morning in similar conditions; good times were had.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Scored 191 today. Plan on moving ATK FR14 from Line Vision 108 and make it my mid-season touring pair.

Nice. Between K108s for resort, and KVWs for touring, think I'm gonna be selling some skis.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 12-24-2022 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Flex!

Never mind.

Anyone skiing these in resort?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

Was selling mine that have FR14s on them. Then found some new alpine bindings in the back of the gear closet that I’d forgotten about, so I’m mounting them up for inbounds.

I'll put alpine clamps if no one buys mine.

My current lift serviced soft conditions ski, mounted with STH2s.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    I'll put alpine clamps if no one buys mine.

I've got a line on a pair locally for a good price but I definitely would not tour with them... I don't tour much anyway and already have something I really like to tour on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Was selling mine that have FR14s on them. Then found some new alpine bindings in the back of the gear closet that I’d forgotten about, so I’m mounting them up for inbounds.
    Ok another checkmark... thanks.