Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

shell and pants that hold up?

Anyone had good luck with outerwear that holds up? This past season, I got Arcteryx Sabre pants and jacket. Both fell apart halfway through the season and had to be warrantied. zippers exploded, material delaminated. They gave me brand new shit, but...still. Was out of my gear in the middle of the season for months for the warranty process. Had a Beta jacket and the same thing happened in less than a month.

Previous season I had the North Face Purist shell and pants, and had the same thing. Less than two months and the zippers exploded, material delaminated, belt loop unstitched itself, etc.

anyone found anything that lasts more than a season? Not stoked on this high end gear falling apart in less than two months.

Are you competing in the Spartan Death Race in them?

did they fit?
    are you wearing a harness with them all day?

not trying to sidetrack your thread, but that's some seriously speedy wear-out

My Noronna gear has been bullet proof. Especially bind with crazy branch crashes

I’ve had pretty good luck getting about 3 seasons out of Patagonia’s Pow Slayer Jackets, that’s about 250-300 days in it. My FlyLow Baker bibs started to leak on pow days after about a season and a half (125-150ish days) but they held up physically.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

flylow has always been good to me, repairs are pretty easy. $25 to replace a zipper last year that I screwed up by folding it over and jamming it into a bag. reminds me, need to send in pants today, that zipper was ripped out by tree.

I've got some Arcteryx shell bibs (not sure of model - 3 layer goretex) that have been going strong for over 10 years (still keep me dry in the wettest of storms, haven't fallen apart at all).

Maybe their quality has declined...? I hope not, as I just ordered some Stinger pants (only because: wanted to try some non-bibs for a change, and: those bibs are seriously hurting for pockets - the only 2 are barely larger than a credit card).

OTOH, I've got a Mountain Hardwear shell jacket that is starting to come apart after 3 seasons (not counting putting a hole in it tree skiing, the 2nd day ever using it, lol).

Never had any ski clothes last < 1 season though. I assume this is your local hill:

Name:  rockski.JPG
Views: 1856
Size:  126.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    reminds me, need to send in pants today, that zipper was ripped out by tree.
    Mental image I did not need.

Sounds like purchasing somewhere close to where you live, with a good return program, like REI is your best choice. When your gear breaks take it back and replace it that day. Den

Co Freeride Systems shells are as durable as it gets.
    If MiCol made pants he'd sell a million pairs.

If you're skiing/riding every day and long days, that's more than the average wear and tear anything's made to endure. Might think about getting several shells and pairs of pants.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Lets not overlook the timeless style and top-notch durability of denim:

Name:  ADBEFB89-2128-4774-A528-9989BE40017E.jpeg
Views: 1534
Size:  62.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Are you competing in the Spartan Death Race in them?
    lol. No

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    did they fit?
    are you wearing a harness with them all day?

not trying to sidetrack your thread, but that's some seriously speedy wear-out
    Yes they fit. Well, the Arcteryx pants were a little snug but that wasn't the source of the zipper failure. No harness.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    flylow has always been good to me, repairs are pretty easy. $25 to replace a zipper last year that I screwed up by folding it over and jamming it into a bag. reminds me, need to send in pants today, that zipper was ripped out by tree.
    I have some Flylow pants. I like them and they've been pretty good so far, except the inside leg cuff material is some weak ass canvas that gets sliced up super easy by skis. I called them about it and they said it's because they're trying to be green and the tough stuff is toxic, but that they would reinforce them if I dropped them by.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    If you're skiing/riding every day and long days, that's more than the average wear and tear anything's made to endure. Might think about getting several shells and pairs of pants.
    I did about 90 days last season. About half were full length days at the resort, and half were half days in the BC. The arc'teryx zipper issue was on the main front zipper and the goretex delam was around the collar where it meets my face.

the North Face stuff, the zipper was one of the pockets. The belt loops etc that de stitched themselves, that happened after about 10 days of normal resort skiing.

my Arcteryx Beta jacket came apart after wearing it about 5 days, just around town. Not even skiing or hiking.

Fyi: If you rub some shoe goo into canvas it becomes tough as shit.

Buy pants from someone who has a good warranty, because all pants are gonna fail earlier than you want them to if you're getting a hardshell fabric. The places I've had the fastest/easiest/best warranty experiences with are OR and Patagonia. MiCol will eventually repost his rant on why he doesn't make pants, but it basically comes down to the fact that pants get worn hard, he'd get a lot of warrnties he'd want to fix, and it would cost him way more than OR/Pata/NF/etc can replace them with at $30 cost cause they make them in East Asia.

If you're located somewhere dry-ish like CO or WY, look into a pair of softshell pants for touring and drier days -- they last longer IME.

Big fan of the Black Crows Ventus jacket. It's a heavy 3L gortext jacket but the outer material is bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Fyi: If you rub some shoe goo into canvas it becomes tough as shit.
    add some

to the rinse water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If you're constantly warranting/breaking/wearing out products faster than everyone else, maybe its not the products....

Everyone is just skiing along.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    Anyone had good luck with outerwear that holds up? This past season, I got Arcteryx Sabre pants and jacket. Both fell apart halfway through the season and had to be warrantied. zippers exploded, material delaminated. They gave me brand new shit, but...still. Was out of my gear in the middle of the season for months for the warranty process. Had a Beta jacket and the same thing happened in less than a month.
    Beta LT jacket and Sabre pants have been great for me for about 90 days . . .

Flylow x 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I did about 90 days last season.
    Ah, the good ol' days, of 100+ day seasons. Life changes - these days, I'm doing ~30 days.

So I guess it makes sense: my Mountain Hardware starting (but really...*just* starting) to show signs of eating it, after 3 seasons, is your 1 season.

Arcteryx I've always found to be super durable (as it fkn should be, for the stupid price, at like 1000% markup - I only buy it on heavy discount).

In other news: just picked up a Flylow Quantum Pro jacket - $200 in the off-season. Seems super burly - we'll see how the non-goretex does, but seems waaay less likely to be punctured by a branch, like the MH jacket (which was, admittedly, a lightweight and inexpensive piece - but one that I've been super happy with, if not for a super long time).

You guys know you can put a GORE-TEX (or anyone else's) membrane on any weight of fabric, right? With Arc'teryx the options are 40, 70, 80 and 100 denier in GORE-TEX hardshells. If the light fabric isn't durable enough, go heavier.

Arc'teryx doesn't make the zippers. They buy them from YKK like everyone else in the industry.

Arc'teryx doesn't laminate the membranes to the face fabric. This is done in a GORE-TEX factory somewhere in the world, though normally to very high standards. The testing to see if a membrane will stick to a given fabric is also done by GORE-TEX.

I'm with XavierD, if blackalps is blowing through Arc'teryx and TNF stuff that fast, something is fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You guys know you can put a GORE-TEX (or anyone else's) membrane on any weight of fabric, right? With Arc'teryx the options are 40, 70, 80 and 100 denier in GORE-TEX hardshells. If the light fabric isn't durable enough, go heavier.

Arc'teryx doesn't make the zippers. They buy them from YKK like everyone else in the industry.

Arc'teryx doesn't laminate the membranes to the face fabric. This is done in a GORE-TEX factory somewhere in the world, though normally to very high standards. The testing to see if a membrane will stick to a given fabric is also done by GORE-TEX.

I'm with XavierD, if blackalps is blowing through Arc'teryx and TNF stuff that fast, something is fishy.
    lol. I'm not doing anything but skiing in them. I ski hard and jump off of stuff but I don't wreck anymore than anyone else that's getting after it. I also hang them up when I get home, etc.

+1 For Norona.

Also Patagonia has a very good warranty program that is biased towards repair/reuse. Of course, we call it PataGucci for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mf0cb6 View Post
    +1 For Norona.

Also Patagonia has a very good warranty program that is biased towards repair/reuse. Of course, we call it PataGucci for a reason.
    mf0cb6, lose the fucking license plate name & pick proper fucking handle, JONG
    PM me your favorite stashes, I'll send you a pic of skidog's tits

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    +1

I'm in disbelief that Arc'teryx and TNF failed that fast. Their top line stuff is .. top of line?
    Multiple Himalayan, Caucasus, Cordillera expeditions .. regular abuse in CO and never had that experience. Sure stuff wears out, gets worn/poked thru with ice screws, crampons, etc .. but I've never had anything like what OP describes.
    I wonder if wrong fit or something? Washing them in bleach? Sharks with lasers?